Contenders for Home Defense Pistol

This is a discussion on Contenders for Home Defense Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First thanks to everyone who has helped me, this is such a resource I can't than you enough. With your help, I have narrowed my ...

View Poll Results: Which 45acp for Home defense

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 21 (45acp)

98 48.28%
  • Sig P220 (45acp)

105 51.72%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contenders for Home Defense Pistol

Contenders for Home Defense Pistol

First thanks to everyone who has helped me, this is such a resource I can't than you enough. With your help, I have narrowed my home defense pistol search down to these last 2 contenders. Both 45acp. Glock 21 and Sig P220.

Glock is cheaper
    Glock's action is simpler
    Glock has more rounds 13

Sig is better looking
    Sig feels better in hand
    Sig is possibly better quality (subjective I know)

Just curious as to which gun would get more votes. PS - will be adding a Viridian X5L Light/Laser to this

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Well, assuming you can shoot them both the same go with the Glock. It holds more, which means you can ventilate more badguys without changing the mag.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

For the reasons you listed, IMO the Glock wins.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

This is soo hard. I was searching the internet and found another forum where the same poll was posted and the Sig killed the glock. So far the glock is running away with this one but still very early.

Man, soooooo hard to decide!!!!

I don't know what to do. Also hopefully someone can clarify this. The sig is according ti their site 1.5in in width and the glock is 1.27, isnt the Sig thinner in the grip?? I would like to know how wide the grips are?

Administrator
    I like the Sig better, its the gun I chose for myself. But reading your list you posted, I'd have to say the G21 would be a better gun for your purpose.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Admittedly, I have NOT shot the P220, but I have been shaking out the G21 for just the same purpose.

The G21 is cheaper, holds more and I suspect might shoot straighter if I weren't attached!

That last bit was a joke. At the range I get VERY acceptable groups at 21' and for long hallways (say 50') - groups are still workable (more operator issue than gun issue).

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    OMG I am LMAO I saw Contender for HD in the title and I thought the OP was talking about the Thompson Center single shot. I thought we had a real live one on the line.

+1 for the Glock.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I have and love both. Either will more than do the job.
    But, that said, the Gross motor skills used to get a Glock into action are just a bit easier especially it you put in a larger slide release.
    I vote Glock but wouldn't kick a Sig out of bed either.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Inexpensive toaster - makes toast.

---

Expensive toaster - Makes toast with STYLE!
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Both are great guns, but if I could have my SIG P220 back in my collection I would... great feel, great reliability.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

sig is as reliable as glock, more accurate than glock, safer than glock, better trigger than glock, decocker, less recoil than glock, better ergonomics than glock, easier to break down than a glock. in fact, theres no reason to buy a glock when compared to a sig, unless your a cheapskate. being 100$ cheaper is not a real reason to buy a gun!!! LOL

If you cant afford the extra hundred to get the abundance of better quality, safty and features, just save a little more and youll be suprised what you can affort if you just wait just a little bit longer.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

NRA member/TSRA member

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by newmenu View Post
    sig is as reliable as glock ..probably, more accurate than glock ..usually, but I'd put my G30 against any 220, safer than glock ..Huh?, better trigger than glock ..nope, decocker .. yuck, less recoil than glock ..not hardly, better ergonomics than glock ..for some, easier to break down than a glock ..really?. in fact, theres no reason to buy a glock when compared to a sig, unless you like it better.. being $200 cheaper is not a real reason to buy a gun!!! LOL

If you cant afford the extra hundred to get the abundance of better quality, safty and features, just save a little more and youll be suprised what you can affort if you just wait just a little bit longer.
    A few changes....now it's good!

I've got to go with the Glock. My decision for myself came down between the Glock 19 and the 9mm SigPro. In the end, the Glock was $120 cheaper at the prices I was finding. They were very similar in design with the Sig having an external hammer, but the dimensions were very similar and both packed 15rd mags and 4 inch barrels.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    SIG

Both are good guns and either will do you justice.

Buy the one that fits your hand better....that means the Sig.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links