CDNN won't ship to NY! Why?

This is a discussion on CDNN won't ship to NY! Why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to order a Steyr M1A .40 from them so while I was visiting my FFL guy last night we called CDNN up to ...

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

I wanted to order a Steyr M1A .40 from them so while I was visiting my FFL guy last night we called CDNN up to place the order and they flatly refuse to ship to NY. They mentioned something about DOJ. Can anybody shed any light onto this? I understand that they could not ship to me, the end user, but why not an FFL holder who also is a state dealer?

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I believe DOJ stands for the Department of Justice. Many states must approve each hand gun make/model before allowing it for sale in their state. California is especialy bad/strict on this. So is DC and other states.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I believe DOJ stands for the Department of Justice. Many states must approve each hand gun make/model before allowing it for sale in their state. California is especialy bad/strict on this. So is DC and other states.
    yes, I know the DOJ acronym but what we found to be odd was that he is a high volume FFL dealer and has more than a few vendors who operate out of Texas (where CDNN is located). If it were a DOJ thing wouldn't all vendors from Texas be prohibited from shipping to NY?

no

it's not dealer specific. it's model & make of gun specific
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    it's not dealer specific. it's model & make of gun specific
    Well that makes a little sense. But I would not be able to take delivery of a pistol with a mag capacity of more than 10 so my dealer would just sell me the 10's before I take delivery and then it should be compliant right?

It also has to do with the fact that NY requires a spent shell casing from any new gun sold in NY. Some manufactureres supply them with their handguns, some do not. When I bought my Kahr it took a while to find one compliant with NY. Crazy huh??????

VIP Member
    A lot of companies refuse to ship guns to NY, CA and IL because of the BS hoops the state requires them to jump through on guns. I have a feeling this is the case your running into.

I've got a plan. buy it. ship to me. I'll break it in for you and after a few years will sell to you as a private purchase at a little bit of a discount....Just kidding. I'm sure that would break some sort of NY law. they have plenty of them.

Exceeds State magazine capacity (10 rounds). I do not know if the Steyr M1A .40 has magazines that would comply with State law.

As far as fired casing, this can be done by the State police in your area, it takes a long time for them to do it (depends on the area) but they will do it before you take the gun home.
    bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Exceeds State magazine capacity (10 rounds). I do not know if the Steyr M1A .40 has magazines that would comply with State law.

As far as fired casing, this can be done by the State police in your area, it takes a long time for them to do it (depends on the area) but they will do it before you take the gun home.
    bosco
    10 rounders are available from Steyr USA and from CDNN as well. $23 each if my memory serves me correctly. I have always wanted a Steyr M1A and now that they will no longer be importing them into the USA it makes me want to get one into the collection before they are all bought up.

Spent Shell Casing???

What's the purpose of the spent shell casing? I live in Texas. We don't have this requiment.

Quote Originally Posted by RTC1004 View Post
    What's the purpose of the spent shell casing? I live in Texas. We don't have this requiment.
    In a perfect world they put the spent casing in their database and compare spent cases found at crime scenes with cases on file trying to find a match.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Only a matter of time before they also require a fired projectile for matching in a shooting. But beyond this, it may be a CDNN policy just to make sure they don't accidentally violate a law (like shipping a high cap. mag. for example).

Thing is, it's their right to refuse to do business, and N.Y. simply makes it a nightmare to do business related to firearms.

Of course to get the real answer, you could always simply contact CDNN and ask them why they won't ship there, I'll bet they readily tell you why. Better than all of us speculating their reasons.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

They don't ship to Kalifornia either. Probably same reason as NY. Too much of a hassle with compliance/legal issues.
    HK45c V1

Links