Help me out.

This is a discussion on Help me out. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has arthritis failry bad and really has trouble racking a slide or in shooting anything. Her hands hurt and it makes her very ...

Thread: Help me out.

Help me out.

My wife has arthritis failry bad and really has trouble racking a slide or in shooting anything. Her hands hurt and it makes her very gun shy. I really want to keep a weapon in the house for her to use. I have tried the .38 special with reduced recoil rounds and even they beat her up. I am considering a .22LR like the baretta that loads first round in the break open barrel or a revolver. Do any of you have a similar experience and can give good advice. I know that most of you are going to say "NO .22" but I have tried a few and not doing very well and I want to get one that she will feel comfortable shooting and will practice with some to be proficient. Thanks for the help.....

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    In my opinion, any firearm beats a slingshot or a sharp stick in the eye! If a .22 is the only thing manageable for her, that's what I would go for. There are many great choices out there in .22 caliber. It is not clear whether or not she planned on carrying it but my personal favorite is the Ruger Mark III. My wife loves that gun too, and it gives you 10 +1 rounds. It would be a little too large to carry, but certainly very comfortable to shoot even with arthritic hands.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

kpw
    My mother in-law has arthritis in her hands. Shooting lightweight .38s is too painful. She loves her .32 Tomcat. The recoil doesn't bother her and the tip-up barrel keeps her from trying to rack the slide.

Maybe think about something other than a handgun. A semi-auto shotgun 20ga or .410 would sure beat the .22 or look at some of the pistol caliber carbines. If she can't work the bolt on them a lever action rifle might work well. There is an interesting thread in the shotgun/rifle forum about lever actions.

As far as handguns try a larger frame .38 with some good grips to absorb recoil. If you can find a .22mag revolver they make some decent rounds with ballistic tips that have good penetration and expansion for them. If I could only remember what the brand was.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

+1 on the Tomcat idea.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Someone once told me after I asked what was the best gun to carry, that the best gun is the one you have with you when you need it.

The Ruger 22 auto might work out pretty good, but I was thinking that with her arthritic hands, maybe a 22 revolver might even work out. Take her to a gun store and let her try some out and see what she is comfortable with and how much trouble she has working the gun. You might even try some custom grips and see if they help any.
    Just my opinion.
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision. -- Unknown

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    My mother in-law has arthritis in her hands. Shooting lightweight .38s is too painful. She loves her .32 Tomcat. The recoil doesn't bother her and the tip-up barrel keeps her from trying to rack the slide.
    Plus 1

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    Double Barrel Coach Gun. Light Loads. Maybe 410.

I know someone who had a similar problem. They bought a 22 long rifle taurus 9 shot revolver. Once cocked the trigger pressure was almost nothing and almost no recoil. I would definately give them a look when you go.

If all she can handle is the .22, the Taurus 941 8 shot 22 mag revolver may be the way to go. A decently made gun, light and easy to handle. Drop in some snap caps and dry fire about 1000 times for her to smooth it out even more.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar

Links