40 Cal or 9mm

This is a discussion on 40 Cal or 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you shoot both equally well (not a sure thing) get the 40. There's nothing wrong with a 9mm at all. I like the 40, ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 40 Cal or 9mm

If you shoot both equally well (not a sure thing) get the 40. There's nothing wrong with a 9mm at all. I like the 40, but have always been a big bore fan (enjoyed a 44 mag when I had one).

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    For me, the 40 is just too snappy, hard to get back on target, and flinch too much. While I have no doubt the 40 is more gun, I will have the 9mm in my stable.

I will list the "pro's" of the 9mm, some one who owns a 40 can give you their list of pro's.

Less cost to shoot.
    Less recoil.
    Cheaper to reload.
    Typically higher ammo capacity.
    Universal round, easier to find in a shtf situation.
    More guns to pick from.
    Larger selection of loads to pick from.
    Guns available in pocket sized.
    Reliable stopper---as pistols go.

Probably several important ones I have left out, but it does offer a lot.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    Well, I definitely don't feel under-gunned with the Glock 19 stoked with 147 gr. Federal HSTs.
    I was wondering if you could enlighten me about the 147's?? How they perform in your pistol...Accuracy and recoil. Going to be rolling my own as it were and I made a move on some 124 gr. hollowpoints...I'm still trying to learn more about reloading the 9mm...Perhaps I made the wrong decision?

Thanks in advance for information you can share,

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Senderofan View Post
    I was wondering if you could enlighten me about the 147's?? How they perform in your pistol...Accuracy and recoil. Going to be rolling my own as it were and I made a move on some 124 gr. hollowpoints...I'm still trying to learn more about reloading the 9mm...Perhaps I made the wrong decision?

Thanks in advance for information you can share,

Wayne
    While the 147 is a bit lower velocity(usually subsonic in 9mm) the extra heft will penetrate a bit deeper. I personally went with the 124gr JHPs for myself.

Either will server you well, if you feed them good ammo and do you part. I like the 9mm, just because it is easier to find outside of the US.
    Semper Fi

Guns, calibers, etc.... you will get everyone's personal preference. Period.

Shoot them both in similar guns. Then.... and only then... go with the one that you are the most comfortable with and accurate at shooting.

If you can't hit the barn, or don't like shooting it or it's difficult for you to.... the rest is all academic.

There is one sure thing you can trust..... no matter what caliber... they can all do a lot of damage.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Been carrying and shooting 9's for many years......never worried about being under-gunned or out-classed.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Love my G23 in .40 cal--great round IMO.
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

One of each. 9mm to shoot at the range and a 40 for self defense! There problem solved.

I like the Sig's, and I like the P220 45 best, but my second choice is the P239 40. smaller, easier to carry, and powerful.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

I had to make the same choice back when I was shopping for my latest carry gun. 9mm or .40. I went with the .40.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by kahrcarrier View Post
    Either will serve you well, in my opinion....
    Strongly agree - so go with the one that has adequate stopping power, more bullets, greater availability, and lower price, i.e., 9mm. I'm a big fan of accurate shot placement - so I'd go with the lower recoil option, which equates to better control, all else being equal.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

.40 S&W
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    just get the 40 SW!!! lol
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    Consider the availability of the ammo (caliber) ? SHTF, etc. Of course if gets bad enough one could do "battlefield pick up" of 40 SW

I wouldn't consider "battlefield pickupability" to be a factor at all. out of 6.7 billion people in the world, can someone direct me to ONE specific incident where a civilian has "pickup up" ammo he found on a "battlefield"?

not slinging mud here, but we should plan for real life, not movies.

maybe it would be worth putting forth an endorsement for 10mm so that if you get shot, the bad guys can't "battlefield pickup" YOUR ammo!

PS personally, I like the capacity of 9mm. I like the extra shots, and the +p rounds come pretty darn close to .40 in penetration and expansion. I've never seen a .40 +p round.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links