40 Cal or 9mm

This is a discussion on 40 Cal or 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If the cost of shooting isn't an issue and the size of the weapon is the same. It seems that it comes down to number ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 Cal or 9mm

40 Cal or 9mm

If the cost of shooting isn't an issue and the size of the weapon is the same. It seems that it comes down to number of rounds in the mag. and the ballistics. So which would you choose for personal protection?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Either will serve you well, in my opinion.

I usually carry 9mm or .45acp.

I do have a couple of GLOCKS in .40 S&W.

I had a G19 and G23. I say "had" because I got rid of the G19.

All other things equal, 9mm isn't as much fun to shoot as .40.

Oh, no

Here we go again.

The biggest caliber you can make good hits with quickly and accurately. The smallest you are willing to bet your life on. 9 is cheaper, thus easier to get good and proficient with cheap practice ammo. The .40 is street proven and a majority choice for LEOs. Almost every gun you can get in 9 you can get in .40. Nobody talks bad about the .45's ability to hit hard and stop folks, but it costs more making practice more expensive. It holds less ammo in a bigger package. It kicks more and intimidates new shooters. It's not impossible to shoot well, obviously or it wouldn't be around for a hundred years, but it takes more work on your part.

I'll get the popcorn.

Evil: Love your avatar.

I have had 9mm's in the past and now have a .40, but I would not overlook a 9mm in the future. Back in the 1980's when I bought my first 9mm they were far from being as good as they are now. I had a S&W 659 and it would not hit the broad side of a barn for one. They have developed better loads for them as time went on.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar

I would say .40. That's what I have and like it. But I have heard a lot of people that talk about the ballistics are close to the same. I'm not sure of this though as I have done no research into the subject.

I welcome a fresh start on this old discussion!

I currently shoot a .40 SW99. I like it, but I don't have a 9 mm to shoot to compare it to. My buddy has a Sig 226 in 9mm that is a dream to shoot. What I don't know is if it is the round or the gun, or a little of both. But after shooting his 226 I was convinced I needed to buy a nicer shooting gun.

This morning I stopped by the local sporting good store to see what ammo they had. They had Winchester JHP in both calibers. 23.99 for the .40 and 18.99 for the 9 mm. Based on that comparison, you could shoot 5 boxes of 9mm for the same cost as 4 boxes of .40. I know that you said that cost of ammo didn't factor in, but it matters to me. Shooting can be expensive.

I think my next hand gun will be a 9mm, and I will shoot it as much as possible.

Well, I definitely don't feel under-gunned with the Glock 19 stoked with 147 gr. Federal HSTs.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

I am partial to the 40. A couple of things should be taken into consideration, like how recoil sensitive is the shooter. IMO most people would be able to handle the recoil of a 40 if presented with a SHTF situation. So, I vote for the 40 cal.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Might as well go with a .40 vs. trying to find a 9mm that comes close to .40 performance.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

.40 That's just M2C
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    It's all a personal preference. Mine is for .40 cal, but if yours is for 9mm, then that's the right choice.

OK, I'm ready, let the caliber war begin!

I'm really surprised that this post has 9 replies so far and no one told him to get a .45 though!

I like the .40 round myself - best compromise between velocity, weight and mag capacity.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by bobk8762 View Post
    If the cost of shooting isn't an issue and the size of the weapon is the same. It seems that it comes down to number of rounds in the mag. and the ballistics. So which would you choose for personal protection?
    Consider the availability of the ammo (caliber) ? SHTF, etc. Of course if gets bad enough one could do "battlefield pick up" of 40 SW

I have others too but if I was buying today - 9mm in Handgun and AR-15 (COLT 6450)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links