Help with an M&P Question.

This is a discussion on Help with an M&P Question. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This might be a question some of you Glock guys have had to decide so I'm hoping you can help. I have a Full size ...

Thread: Help with an M&P Question.

This might be a question some of you Glock guys have had to decide so I'm hoping you can help. I have a Full size M&P 9 and have decided to get a compact model. I was originally planning on the 9 mm in the compact as well, but now I'm thinking maybe the .40 would be a good choice. With the ammo shortages lately, there have been times when I can't find 9mm but .40 or .45 have been on the shelf. So I'm thinking of going with the M&P40c and later getting the Storm Lake conversion barrel. If I understand this correctly, I will be able to interchange slides between frames and as long as I have magazines for the respective caliber, then I will be able shoot either caliber, thus giving me another option when ammo selections are short. So, does this sound like a good idea? I would be interested in hearing opinions of the M&P40c as well. Thanks ahead for your feedback.

I prefer the M&P9c, but as long as you're sticking with M&P you can't go wrong, now go out and buy that 40c!!!
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Ammo shortages will not last long, soon 9mm will be plentiful
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Strange you bring this up because I went through the same thing about eight months ago. I have a full sized M&P 9 as well and was looking at the M&P 40c as another weapon in compact size for CC. I decided against the M&P 40c and went with a Springfield XD40 subcompact. I can say at this point I am happy with the decision I made.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

wife has MP 40 with crimson trace laser grips, u want be sorry. trust me.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Ammo shortages will not last long, soon 9mm will be plentiful
    +1 this is true, if you're just getting a .40 because 9mm is scarce right now. I'd advise you just tough it out. 9mm supply will come back once the panic buying and hysteria are over. If you're really considering .40 because you'd like to shoot .40 that's another story.

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by Texan29 View Post
    +1 this is true, if you're just getting a .40 because 9mm is scarce right now. I'd advise you just tough it out. 9mm supply will come back once the panic buying and hysteria are over. If you're really considering .40 because you'd like to shoot .40 that's another story.
    No I'm not into .40, I am just considering an alternate solution for future possibilities. I prefer the 9 over the 40. If I want to throw serious lead, I jump to 45.

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by PSIShapiro; March 8th, 2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: correct spelling

In a smaller gun I would go with the 9mm. Larger gun .40. I just bought a S&W M&P 40c after not having a gun for a while and I had never shot a .40 but figured I could handle it as as I have shot a fair amount in the past with 9mm .38 even some .357 and .45. I can shoot it and pretty accurately, but after having shot it I regret not getting a 9mm in the compact as the .40 has got quite a snap to it. Nothing I can't handle especially with some practice but it does make it less fun to shoot.I think it would be OK in a full size gun or even a mid size gun but with the short grip on the 40c it can be a handful to shoot.

VIP Member
    Stick with the 9mm if that is what you prefer.

Give the manufacturers time to ramp up production, and the buyers time to come to their senses. There is no garauntee that the prices will come down significantly but the supply should become stable again.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

9c/40c

Storm Lake makes a conversion barrel to go from 40c to 9c. You do have to change mags but then you would be able to practice with the 9mm and use the 40 S&W for self defense. Barrel goes for 160.00

Quote Originally Posted by PSIShapiro View Post
    No I'm not into .40, I am just considering an alternate solution for future possibilities. I prefer the 9 over the 40. If I want to throw serious lead, I jump to 45.

Thanks for your input.
    In that case just stick it out with the 9mm at this time. Once you start adding up the cost of the gun (the same for both the 40 and 9c) plus the cost of the storm lake barrel you could have already bought at least 500 rounds of 9mm target ammo.

If you lived in my area you'd find out that 9mm, 40, and 45 are ALL sold out. There's no preference for one over the other. You'd be lucky to find a box of .357sig. I'm thinking within a few months this will all die down and you'll be back to walmart shelves stocked full of ammo.

I have the Signess!

I have and carry my M&P40c. I'm planning to get a full size to match mags.

I would suggest you get the 9mm so you can share mags.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Sponsored Links