Which one ??? and gun ?

This is a discussion on Which one ??? and gun ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I want a .25, .32 or .380 caliber small gun. I want one that's "small" but effective. It will not be a primary carry ...

Thread: Which one ??? and gun ?

Which one ??? and gun ?

Ok, I want a .25, .32 or .380 caliber small gun. I want one that's "small" but effective. It will not be a primary carry gun, but possibly a pocket/ankle back up or in the console of the car.

I will point out, I already have a .357 revolver 5 shot for small, and carry a 7-shot .357 about 1/2 the time. So, I'm not looking revolver on this one.

Which caliber would be better, and why ?
    Which gun would you go with (remember size is important) and please tell me why !!!

One's I've been looking at are the Taurus and Beretta lines, but been paying attention to the Ruger LCP. I do like the pop-up barrel, in case I eventually give the gun to my daugther.

2. Remove Ads

I'd steer clear of the .25's, I've never really heard anything good about that round, but I've heard a fair amount about unreliability.

I like the Bersa Thunder in .380, it's a pretty good deal, and nice little pistol IMO.
    I'd stick with the .380 out of the choices you listed. Kel tecs/lcp's are some of the smallest pistols around, and not too expensive either.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Of the .25, .32 and .380 I think there are some good ones in the .380. Walther is coming out with a new PK 380 which should be a really nice one. There is also the PPK which is .380. I have a Bersa .380 which is a clone of the PPK which I like a great deal. Its easy to be really accurate with it. Bersa makes a concealed carry version of this which is a little thinner and has a shrouded hammer. Loaded with Cor Bon DPX these can be very effective little weapons.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    If your choice is no smaller than a Kahr PM9, then you should get a PM9. No sense in a .380 the size of a 9mm.

If you want smaller than the PM9, the two hottest choices right now are the Kel Tec P3AT (I have one, like it just fine, though my PM9 now takes it's place wherever possible) or the Ruger LCP.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

You want the most stopping power you can get for the size/weight requirements you have. Thus, the .380 is the smallest I would ever go. The P3AT and LCP are really popular, and for good reason. Good guns and SMALL. The whole thing fits in the palm of your hand which means it will hide well in your pocket.

Good luck.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Administrator
    I like the 32 ACP better than the 380 in a small package, so I went with a P32 to fill this role. I wouldn't even look at a 25, I'd much rather have a 22lr.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    The people I know that carry back up pistols carry either a .380 or .32. I wish I knew more about these rounds so I can give you more info.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

My latest handgun is a CZ 70 in .32, cheap and reliable, at least my other CZ's are.

VIP Member
    My humble opinion:
    .380 or larger - anything smaller and you are not talking about real stopping power your are talking deterent.

*Remember - No one is going to stand around and let you shoot at them with ANYTHING. I can't imagine an attacker coming up to you and looking to see what caliber is stamped on your barrel.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

My general rule-of-thumb is to go with the biggest caliber you can get away with.

Don't bother yourself with the .25's though. Like SIXTO, I'd rather a .22 than a
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Kahr PM9 is a fraction larger then the LCP in every measurement, but it is a 9mm, and over twice the price, and if you get the LCP with crimson trace, the PM9 is still about $200 more expensive

I personally like the NAA Guardian. It is all metal and can have night sights installed and/or a CT grip. Very well built...wish I hadnt sold mine.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The .327 Federal Magnum is the hottest one in its class for use in the Ruger SP101.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Bersa BT380CC
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Links