Defensive Carry banner

Ok, I'm offically sick now....needed another fix

760 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  HKkid 
#1 ·
I pickup two classic revolvers last week and posted about them here as you may remember, Colt Detective Sp. and S&W Model 10-5 (4"). Well my older brother was in town today to visit and asked if I wanted to go look at guns at one of the local gun stores. Sure I said and off we went. I certainly had no plans to buy anything....:tired:
Well with all the hesteria and panic buying of course the store was packed with the masses looking to but polymer pistols and black rifles. I guess no one paid much attention to the old revolver that had just come in earlier today on a trade. I eyed the S&W revolver (model 15?) and I asked to see this "old gun". It had a tag on it that said S&W Model 10, $300. I handled the gun for several minutes looking it over carefully and doing a quick timing and lockup check (all checked out very tight). Finish of course has some holster wear and the stocks are showing some wear but are very solid with no major dings or damage. Bore was almost perfect. While I am certainly no expert on Smith and Wesson revolvers I know a Model 15 when I see one. The gun has adjustable sights so I knew it was not a Model 10. I looked at the serial number K1258xx? Could this be a pre-model 15, maybe a Combat Masterpiece? I had no way to be sure so I offered $295 OTD. Less tax I would be getting this pistol for about $25 less than his asking price. He said hold on a minute and went and looked at some paperwork and said OK, it was a trade-in I can do $300. He was so busy today helping people buy over priced black guns and plastic fantasics I did'nt think he would be overly concerned the gun was tagged as a Model 10, so I did not mention it:image035:.

So after some reseach of the serial number and asking some questions of the Smith experts on the S&W forum, what I got for 3 bills is a 1951 made K38 Combat Masterpiece. Its worth quite a bit more than that. Some day the bear gets you and some days you get the bear! I am happy and have my fix and will try hard not to buy another gun for a while..........

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.