Need some SIG advice.

Need some SIG advice.

This is a discussion on Need some SIG advice. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking for a nice range/HD 9mm for the last couple of months and have been mainly targeting a CZ 75B (or SP-01), a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some SIG advice.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

Need some SIG advice.

I've been looking for a nice range/HD 9mm for the last couple of months and have been mainly targeting a CZ 75B (or SP-01), a G19/34 or something like a Beretta 92/Browning HP. I've seen some decent deals popup on used SIGs but am unsure of which one(s) I need to target for my purposes. The SIG is probably going to cost me more than the others that I listed but I've never owned one and their following is strong so I don't mind paying a few more bucks if I have to. I've fondled them at gunshows/shops and they feel good.

I was thinking the P226 is what I need from going over the website and reading up as much as I can. Again, I want a 9mm, lots of high capacity options, good accuracy and grin factor at the range. I notice the 'Balance' thread so lets throw that requirement in there as well. Most likely, I'll never carry it so that's last if not on on my list at all.

I already have a Kahr PM9 for my EDC and a Glock G29SF for some carry/HD/possible hog hunting so I want something different. The Glocks have a strong following and I hear a lot of folks say that everyone should own a G19 but I think I'm covered Glockwise with the G29SF. That's not to say that the G19 is out of the running because I've seen some good deals on them but I'd just like to try something different. I want a SIG.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have a sp2022 two tone with CTC Laser Grips and I LOVE this piece. It is a wonderful firearm and I would recommend it time and again. I prefer poly guns over metal. You may want to try the sig 250, alot of good reviews. If you want to stick with metal frame, p226 is great, but make sure you get the SRT trigger for defense. It's a wonderful trigger.
    Hk P2000, P30, P30L, Hk45C, USP Tac .45, USC, G36c
    Glock 19, 26, 38
    Sig P238, SP2022, P226 Blackwater Tacitcal,556
    Desert Eagle Mark I, Mossberg 500A, Benelli M4
    FN FS2000, Springfield SOCOM II
    Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun

and get ctc grips on whichever one you get!
    Hk P2000, P30, P30L, Hk45C, USP Tac .45, USC, G36c
    Glock 19, 26, 38
    Sig P238, SP2022, P226 Blackwater Tacitcal,556
    Desert Eagle Mark I, Mossberg 500A, Benelli M4
    FN FS2000, Springfield SOCOM II
    Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun

Administrator
    The 226 is a great gun, For range and HD duty, it can't be beat.... and it doesnt need no stinkin laser.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    I've been looking for a nice range/HD 9mm for the last couple of months and have been mainly targeting a CZ 75B (or SP-01), a G19/34 or something like a Beretta 92/Browning HP. I've seen some decent deals popup on used SIGs but am unsure of which one(s) I need to target for my purposes. The SIG is probably going to cost me more than the others that I listed but I've never owned one and their following is strong so I don't mind paying a few more bucks if I have to. I've fondled them at gunshows/shops and they feel good.

I was thinking the P226 is what I need from going over the website and reading up as much as I can. Again, I want a 9mm, lots of high capacity options, good accuracy and grin factor at the range. I notice the 'Balance' thread so lets throw that requirement in there as well. Most likely, I'll never carry it so that's last if not on on my list at all.

I already have a Kahr PM9 for my EDC and a Glock G29SF for some carry/HD/possible hog hunting so I want something different. The Glocks have a strong following and I hear a lot of folks say that everyone should own a G19 but I think I'm covered Glockwise with the G29SF. That's not to say that the G19 is out of the running because I've seen some good deals on them but I'd just like to try something different. I want a SIG.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Whats not to like about the Sig P250 Compact. It is a very well made 9mm with night sights, 15+ 1 double stack mags and a moderate price. Slides are also interchangeable should you decide to switch to Sig.357 or 45 ACP. This pistol can completely disassembled in 1 minute and reassembled in two minutes. I find this pistol to be very well balanced, comfortable and accurate. This is an excellent service pistol.
    I also carry a Walther PPS 9mm and A Springfield Arms XD 9mm With Crimson Grips since no laser is yet available for the Sig P250. For fun, I carry a Walther P22. Amazingly. the Walther PPS 9mm, .40 and P22 are about the same size about 75% the size of a Walther P99.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I'll checkout the 250. I agree with SIXTO, I don't need a laser. I'm going to put range/grin factor as my #1 priority. Changing calibers is low on if not on the list at at all. I'm trying to consolidate my calibers and am sticking with the 9mm for this gun. If I need more power, the G29SF will be sufficient.

This is a weird analogy, I know, but I recently bought a Buck Mark .22. It's turning into one of my most fun, best gun purchases I've ever made. Cheap and fun as heck to shoot. Well, I'm looking for the 9mm equivalent to my Buck Mark experience. The CZ75B probably fits this best but what's the best SIG equivalent?

Thanks again.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone,

I'll checkout the 250. I agree with SIXTO, I don't need a laser. I'm going to put range/grin factor as my #1 priority. Changing calibers is low on if not on the list at at all. I'm trying to consolidate my calibers and am sticking with the 9mm for this gun. If I need more power, the G29SF will be sufficient.

purchases I've ever made. Cheap and fun as heck to shoot. This is a weird analogy, I know, but I recently bought a Buck Mark .22. It's turning into one of my most fun, best gun Well, I'm looking for the 9mm equivalent to my Buck Mark experience. The CZ75B probably fits this best but what's the best SIG equivalent?

Thanks again.
    The Browning Buck Mark .22 is a fine target pistol and the choice of many. My wife has one. Some days at the range I just take only hers for fun. I use only CCI HP. About $6.00/100 at Wal-mart.

The Walther P22 is also fun to shoot. I have (10) 10 round mags. $6.00 in about 20 minutes.

Target shooting and concealed carry for defensive purposes are two different subjects however. Laser grips are fun for shooting from the hip but not really necessary. The PPS is very concealable at only 1" wide but some may find the ultra slim profile difficult to control. My XD is a heavy pistol and like a brick in my hand. The laser grip adds a bout a 1/4" width to the grip and the pointer sometimes gets in the way though it is very reliable and will fire about anything you put in it.

Overall I prefer the new Sig P250 for best reliability, comfort and ease of use. Black water issues this model as standard. If you go to sigsauer.com you can view a short video clip.

If it's doubtful that you're going to carry this gun, then you may want to consider a P226SL (Stainless frame & slide - more heft) - although this one you'll have to find used as they no longer make it. It was replaced by the P226 Stainless Elite, which adds a beavertail, nice wood grips and the short reset trigger. Big grin factor on both guns. Just remember, they're like potato chips...

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I love my Glock 19, and I have a SIG P226-40 (some times I would have liked to have it in a 9mm, but it's a great gun none the less). I think there is another great range run that carries 19+1... the Springfield XDm9!!! I just purchased mine last month... 500 rounds and not one issue... plus it could be considered a second generation XD... which should speak a lot for itself.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Yeah, I'd really like to get my hands on a clean P226 Stainless Elite for a good deal. I'd spend a little extra for one of those. Again, there's a 99% chance this gun will *not* be carried. OK, so it looks like as I search the SIG used/auction market that the P226s are my 9mms to target. Still keeping an eye out for a nice CZ 75B/SP-01 also though.

I have a P226 Sig and it's a favorite of mine. Always works and very accurate.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    There simply isn't a bad choice in Sigs. They all can be the tool you can depend o for you life.

for home defense you want the sig p556

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I just bought a package with 2 of the new 20 round SCT magazines and the new SCT grips for my P226, and that made it even better. Forty rounds of Federal HST makes for a nice home defense setup...

It's a great shooter, no doubt!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    There simply isn't a bad choice in Sigs. They all can be the tool you can depend o for you life.
    +1. But if forced to accept your 9mm parameters, I'd vote for the P226. I picked up a very beat up, ex-PD gun last year. Sent it in to Sig for their "Sig Service Plan". Still looks very beat up, but it shoots tight groups and feeds everything. I liked it so much, I bought a like new CPO 226R a few weeks ago. It's not that there aren't other wonderful 9mm platforms. I just really, really like P series Sigs.

PC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links