Trying to streamline my gun choices...

This is a discussion on Trying to streamline my gun choices... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been giving some serious consideration to this for some time now, especially in light of current events in our country. I am thinking ...

Thread: Trying to streamline my gun choices...

Trying to streamline my gun choices...

I have been giving some serious consideration to this for some time now, especially in light of current events in our country. I am thinking that commonality in pistols and calibers will make it easier in the long run. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the different makes and models of what I currently own. I just want to simplify by having a couple of brands and models I rely on. I would like one brand to be polymer based frames and the other brand metal/alloy based frames. My criteria/s are: 1. Reliability 2. Accuracy 3. Proven track record 4. Availability of parts/aftermarket accessories if times get rough (i.e. bans on guns/parts). 5. Ease of maintenance( would like to be able to repair them myself if the need arose). 6. Service life/durability . I believe that Glock is going to be the route I take for the polymer guns. Still trying to make my choice regarding the metal/alloy based handguns. My two choices I am currently considering are CZ and SIG. I like them both, but am trying to evaluate them both in light of the aforementioned criteria. My inability to find CZ pistols as of late gives rise to some concern in these areas. Maybe these concerns are unfounded. Next I want to stream line my handgun calibers. I am shooting for(no pun intended) 3. I have already decided on two of them: 9mm and .357. The third spot is the kicker to fill. I am torn between .45 and .40. I hear good things about both. Anyone out there with more knowledge of ballistics and accuracy on both, your input would be most welcome. Reloading is also something that is going to influence my choice. I plan to get the means to do this. I am already scavenging brass casings when I can. Thank you for taking the time read this and for your input.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The availability of CZ is not a problem. They are out here, just not in the numbers Sig are. I'm a firm believer in the CZ platform, however if the .357 Sig caliber is a requirement, that rules out CZ. They do no manufacture any guns chambered for .357 Sig.

Choice between .40 and .45. If you do your part, either caliber will do it's part. Hitting where you shoot with good quality defensive ammo is the key.

Just wondering about the longevity of alloy and steel frames on these pistols. Archer 51, any input? These would be for ccw and shtf.

VIP Member
    I don't think longevity of the gun is a problem. The original CZ 75 design has been around for over 30 years. Other models post date that. As far as their alloy frame, here's the testing the P-01 went through:

CZUSA - Press downloads

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The availability of CZ is not a problem. They are out here, just not in the numbers Sig are. I'm a firm believer in the CZ platform, however if the .357 Sig caliber is a requirement, that rules out CZ. They do no manufacture any guns chambered for .357 Sig.

Choice between .40 and .45. If you do your part, either caliber will do it's part. Hitting where you shoot with good quality defensive ammo is the key.
    If you want a CZ in .357 SIG just get a .40 and drop in an EFK Barrel.

I have a friend that loves the 75B and that's what he did, with great results.

Biker

CZ's are quite accurate, my P-06 is a .40, they do make .45 too. (97)

GKG
    For SHTF you're going to want to stick with specific calibers; 9mm, .223, .308. In doing so, you'll be able to draw on ammo supplies from your local armory or ANY armory.
    Geoff & Suzy-If you're reading it, Suzy typed it.
    In Loving Memory of my baby brother Benjamin Ian
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
    "Those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security." Benjamin Franklin

Links