So what's the deal with Ruger?

This is a discussion on So what's the deal with Ruger? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; LCPs were recalled....SR9s were recalled....are they having some QC issues over there or what?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So what's the deal with Ruger?

LCPs were recalled....SR9s were recalled....are they having some QC issues over there or what?

Nah... its part of their advertising. They have stickies at the top of a few forums LOL
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Nah... its part of their advertising. They have stickies at the top of a few forums LOL

Ruger has a habit of releasing guns before they have the "kinks" worked out. That's why I waited twenty years to buy an SP101.

I tested one when the SP101 first came out in .357 Magnum. I bought one last year, if that tells you anything. Even with that, I had to send the gun back to Ruger and they put a new Barrel on it.

Biker

Ruger isn't the first manufacturer to have a problem with a new design. I'm a fan, both of their products as well as their customer service.

Administrator
    Ruger is OK, but like BikerRn said, its a bit of an tradition to release products before they are really ready. Ruger rushed these models out, and now they are paying the price. They are not the only ones to do this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

EW3
    I had a pre-recall LCP that just arrived back and it performed 100% for me at the range yesterday with 150 rounds. I'm happy with it.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

Ruger has a habit of releasing guns before they have the "kinks" worked out. That's why I waited twenty years to buy an SP101.

I tested one when the SP101 first came out in .357 Magnum. I bought one last year, if that tells you anything. Even with that, I had to send the gun back to Ruger and they put a new Barrel on it.

Biker

The SP 101 and GP100 is next on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Ruger is OK, but like BikerRn said, its a bit of an tradition to release products before they are really ready.
    It is no small secret that you should never buy the first release of anything, whether it be a gun, car or whatever.

Of course a lot of people suffer from the "Hey Everybody - Look At ME!" syndrome and have to be the first kid on the block with the latest and greatest toy. These people are what's known in the software industry as "beta testers".

Quote Originally Posted by TGC View Post
    LCPs were recalled....SR9s were recalled....are they having some QC issues over there or what?
    Walther PPK and PPK/S were recalled...are they having some QC issues over ther at Smith & Wesson???....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Kind of like "dont buy a car in the first year a new model comes out". They all have to work the bugs out before they become reliable.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Drew M View Post
    It is no small secret that you should never buy the first release of anything, whether it be a gun, car or whatever.

Of course a lot of people suffer from the "Hey Everybody - Look At ME!" syndrome and have to be the first kid on the block with the latest and greatest toy. These people are what's known in the software industry as "beta testers".
    There are people whose personality make them congenitally "first adopters" or "early adopters." I suppose there is some "look at me" in there somewhere. But many of us are not very social and have nobody to show off to. We enjoy both the thrill and pain of being the first. We enjoy being asked by others for our opinion.

I believe that the two models that Ruger had a recall on were both of the same new design for them. The fact that they had a recall on both inures their benefit, in my opinion. They have even offered incentives (goodies) to encourage current owners to participate in the recall.

There are industry experts that point out that they know of faults in other guns that, in their opinion, should have had recalls. Those companies just quietly made changes for new production without a proactive effort to correct the faults in those units already shipped.

So, are you more confident in the company and models that have undergone a voluntary recall or with models that should have had recalls but you never knew about it? I've voted by purchasing an LCP and will buy other Ruger products as money permits.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    There are people whose personality make them congenitally "first adopters" or "early adopters." I suppose there is some "look at me" in there somewhere. But many of us are not very social and have nobody to show off to. We enjoy both the thrill and pain of being the first. We enjoy being asked by others for our opinion.
    There are more of the first group than you think. Want to find them? Go look for an LCP thread. All of the people in that thread complaining about the recall and/or initial problems are the "Hey look at me!" club members.

If anyone buys a first release product of any kind they need to accept the short-comings and problems as being part of their need to purchase the newest thing. You state this yourself but I see an awful lot of people who still feel the need to complain.

Ruger had some trouble with these models, but responded quite well. They handled the recall of my LCP promptly, professionally and it was upgraded, along with giving me a spare magazine. I have no problems with it. I did not buy it " to look at me", I bought because I liked it and wished to own one. I don't give a hoot what people might think about the guns I own, they only have to impress me, no one else. I did not sleep in front of the gun store waiting in line to buy, or put my name on a list. When I saw one and liked it, I bought it. Simple as that. I own many Ruger products and none have given any trouble, despite the hard use some have seen. I'd not hesitate to by another Ruger product. But, I will say I did not care much for that new poly framed revolver they recently released.

Think about all the money they are burning with doing the recalls. I think it says a lot about a company when they do a recall like that and don't raise prices AND still offer incentives for the trouble you had to go through.

I have Ruger products and will buy several more. I will be getting the SR9 in the near future. Yes it is still a new design and I might have some problems and have to send it in for an update but I like the way it fits my hand and have heard a lot of good things about it from those that have shot the snot out of it.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Drew M View Post
    There are more of the first group than you think. Want to find them? Go look for an LCP thread. All of the people in that thread complaining about the recall and/or initial problems are the "Hey look at me!" club members.

If anyone buys a first release product of any kind they need to accept the short-comings and problems as being part of their need to purchase the newest thing. You state this yourself but I see an awful lot of people who still feel the need to complain.
    It is human nature to be more inclined to share the pain rather than share the joy. Even on the LCP forum, we have our share of complainers, though at a much lower level than on threads in other forums.

Elsie Pea Forum - The #1 Ruger LCP Owner Forum and Information Source
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links