Sig 229 SAS gen.2 vs "older model"

This is a discussion on Sig 229 SAS gen.2 vs "older model" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Help me decide between a Sig 229 SAS gen. 2 10+1 vs the "older" version 13+1. I mean is it just that the gen 2 ...

Thread: Sig 229 SAS gen.2 vs "older model"

Unhappy Sig 229 SAS gen.2 vs "older model"

Help me decide between a Sig 229 SAS gen. 2 10+1 vs the "older" version 13+1.
    I mean is it just that the gen 2 has a melt job and comes with 10 round mags compared to the other which has a 13 round mag?
    I think they also come with the SRT that everyone seems to like.

Mainly been pricing budsgunshop... there are different configurations and of course 13 rounds would be better than 10, but I don't see why the "newest version" comes 10+1.
    Is the grip shorter? It looks exactly the same as the 13+1.

I'm getting frustrated figuring out what's the deal with these.
    I already figured I really don't need a tac rail if I want it for cc (even if it's tacticool)

Is it worth paying the extra ~$90 for the SAS 2 that loses 3 rounds?
    I did see the SAS 2 have siglite nite sights, which is pretty much where I see that extra $90 going. But I lose 3 rounds and I could always get night sights later, right...so what's the point?

I have a 200+ lumens light and I don't plan on doing too much room clearing, nightsites probably do me little good at that point.

So would you save the almost $100 and get 13+1, no melt job gun,
    or get melted with 10+1. FWIW, I don't really like the look of the melt gun.
    I just want to join the Sig club
    Thanks.....
    I don't deal with psychos. I put them away. - Marion Cobretti- Cobra

2. Remove Ads

I've got what I think you're referring to as the "older version", having bought it about April of 2008. Pic below.

It has the melt job as well as the front sight being a night sight. They came with the DAK trigger and 12+1 of .40.

I had handled the P229R and loved it. I decided on the SAS because I didn't want a rail and frankly, liked the two tone and wood grips. The best price I found was Bud's, which is where I got it.

However, the wood grips proved to be too thick, so I sold them and put on a set of Sig Sauer grips that had been checkered by Hogue. And, after finding how much I like TruGlo TFO sights on my other pistols, I replaced them as well.

Here's the original P229 SAS:

And, mine with the new thinner grips, but before adding the TruGlo TFO sights:

Senior Moderator
    Is it worth paying the extra ~$90 for the SAS 2 that loses 3 rounds?
    I did see the SAS 2 have siglite nite sights, which is pretty much where I see that extra $90 going. But I lose 3 rounds and I could always get night sights later, right...so what's the point?
    It's not the gun that has the difference, it's the magazines. Some places sell 10 round magazines because some states have a 10 round mag limit.

You can buy the 12 rounders and they will work in the gun.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

good point, was used to seeing the SCT models with the long mag...didn't think about the same sized mags having fewer rounds.
    But I live in Texas, the dealer shows they have the 10 and 13 round mag on their site. Maybe a typo..I dunno, best to call or email them.

So it really comes down to melt job plus nite sites, and SRT. Hmm, if the SRT is so much better, I think getting it now is better than trying to get it installed later.

Btw JimmyC4, your gun looks really nice. That bigger pic is gone, I should have saved it, showed me more detail than what I've seen on the web.
    Makes me like the melt job more...thanks.

Maybe the price difference is nothing since you get more value..just need to figure out what they are selling it with,10 or 13 round mag..

All the SAS have melt jobs. AS= "Anti Snag"
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    SAS = (SIG Anti-Snag | Smooth All Snags)

Take your pick from acronyms. It's just a matter of the magazines. SIG is actually really good about keeping magazine compatibility across a product line. If you have small hands, the P229 is a bit thick, especially with the wood. The plastic grips will definitely help with that.

I think the other difference is that the newest versions of the SIG P-series guns ship with a plastic mainspring boot; some people really hate that, but I have not seen any indications that it affects the weapon's performance. The Gen 1 [Edit] P229 may still have a metal part there.
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; March 10th, 2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

SAS gen 1 = stainless slide, DAK trigger, wood grips
    SAS gen 2 = nitron finish slide, SRT trigger, plastic grips
    both have the "melt job"

Definitely call them on whether it has the 10 round mag or not, but that's only a difference of the magazine itself; the gun will still work w/ the standard 12/13 round mags.

Just how much better does it feel or conceal with the melt job?
    Any1 else have pics?
    Think I decided on the 229...was thinking about the 239, but it doesn't
    seem to be that much smaller, and it sure loses a lot of rounds.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I think the other difference is that the newest versions of the SIG P-series guns ship with a plastic mainspring boot; some people really hate that, but I have not seen any indications that it affects the weapon's performance. The Gen 1 [Edit] P229 may still have a metal part there.
    Grayguns has a prototype out for an aluminum mainspring boot. I assume it will be available for purchase soon for those who prefer metal over plastic.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Grayguns has a prototype out for an aluminum mainspring boot. I assume it will be available for purchase soon for those who prefer metal over plastic.
    Yep, I have been following that thread.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links