Finally got ot shoot my G23.

This is a discussion on Finally got ot shoot my G23. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday, I finally got a chance to get to the range with my G23. I finally SEE what all the fuss is about. Man, what ...

Thread: Finally got ot shoot my G23.

Finally got ot shoot my G23.

Yesterday, I finally got a chance to get to the range with my G23. I finally SEE what all the fuss is about. Man, what a really nice machine. Only ran about 100 rounds through her but she didn't hiccup once. I fed her 50 rounds of Independence Ammo 180 gr. FMJ that I bought at the range and then I ran 50 more Winchester "Ranger" 155 gr. JHP. that I picked up when I bought the gun. I was able to get a little grouping thing going on from just pointing and shooting. I did aim a few rounds and was very pleased with the guns performance. Lately, I've been reading some stories about the recoil of the G23 and how it's convinced some folks to go with a G19. The G19 is a fine gun and 9mm has been proven a very effective caliber for many years and I'll never talk bad about it. AND...I'll admit after reading all those reports re: recoil, I was a little apprehenseive before shooting the G23. However, upon shooting...all I can say is, I think I made the right choice for me and my CCW purposes. That might have something to do with the fact that until I got the Glock, my only other CCW piece was a S&W 642. Now if you want to feel something "peppy" in your hand, load you up one of them little rascals with some +Ps and commence fire. IMHO the G23 feels tame compared to the 642. I still plan on carrying the 642 in certain circumstances, just because it is lighter and smaller than the G23 when fully loaded. However I will be packing the Glock whenever possible. Anyway I just wanted to submit a report. Thanks!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

2. Remove Ads

los
    Congratulations on your G23 and Thanks for the range report. I too recently purchased my first Glock [26]. They are an impressive tool, for sure..!

Is the G23 going to be your primary CCW? If so, what type of holster do you intend to use?

-Jimmy
    Last edited by los; March 10th, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

For my G23, I just bought a DeSantis thumb break mini slide holster off Ebay. It's a pretty good setup. That'll be my main CCW rig.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

I have carried the G23 for 9 years now. I have numerous types of holsters for it and it carries very well. My most carried holster was my Don Hume PCCH. Very nice holster for the money. Now it is a HBE Com III...black cherry with sharkskin trim. Very nice. You will continue to love it. Just dont feed it reloads unless they are SAAMI specs. Run the risk of KABOOM. The .40 are know to have this problem most because of high pressure round and the polygonal rifling.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have owned a G23 for 11 years. It is a fantastic pistol. I use a Tagua Gunleather "Quick Draw" holster. It's great. Holds better that expected.

I will never disrespect my G23 even though I bougt it a friend, a Bersa Thunder 9UC. Now that is a sweet pistol. Absolutely fantastic.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

My G23 has been a constant companion for many moons now.

Excellent choice!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new arrival and thanks for the report.
    Always love to hear about some one enjoying themselves on the range.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Congrats on a fine pistol. The recoil thing is not that bad however if you fire a 19 and 23 back to back you WILL see there is more of a flip to the 23. That doesn't make the 23 uncontrollable by any stretch of the imagination though. Enjoy!
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Congrats on your new Glock addition! Glock on!

los
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnonry View Post
    For my G23, I just bought a DeSantis thumb break mini slide holster.... That'll be my main CCW rig.
    Very good decision on the DeSantis!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Congrats on your G23. I just bought a G19 Fri eve. I like the 9mm and the less recoil. I also have the 642. You don't need a +p to "hate" shooting that snubbie. However it does have it's place for CC.

VIP Member
    Glocks are nice. G23's have a fine reputation. Congratulations!

Links