Found Sig 228 for sale - Page 2

Found Sig 228 for sale

This is a discussion on Found Sig 228 for sale within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 2rott How do you tell if it's factory nickel? If you have the factory box, it will show up on the label. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2rott View Post
    How do you tell if it's factory nickel?
    If you have the factory box, it will show up on the label. I forget what code they use, but it is probably something like 'NK' in the model string. Other variants are 'SS' for stainless steel and 'TSS' for two-tone stainless. At one point you could have called SIG with the serial number and asked them, but these days they seem to want to charge people thirteen bucks to produce a fancy, frameable letter with the manufacturing details.

Anyway, as others pointed out, the price just for the gun is okay but not great, and if it is factory nickel I believe it probably has some extra collector's value.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by sigpack View Post
    Sorry, but I believe $700 for a used 228 is pretty steep. You can buy NIB 229s at a local store for $714 OTD.
    I would get the 228 over any 229.The 228 has the nice bent sheet metal slide and the 229 has the heavy milled slide.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Sponsor
    Sorry, but I believe $700 for a used 228 is pretty steep. You can buy NIB 229s at a local store for $714 OTD.

A nickel W. German 228 is somewhat rare. It's also a much better made gun than anything out of Exeter, NH.

Used Sig 228's from W. Germany in blue will run 475-550.00 so the price for the nickel one here isn't that far out of line based on where it was made and it's finish being fairly scarce to find.

I don't own an Exeter made Sig. Refuse to buy their products, but do own two W. German Sig 228's and two W. German sig 220's in 45acp.

I find I like the non railed Sigs much better than the railed models.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post

A nickel W. German 228 is somewhat rare. It's also a much better made gun than anything out of Exeter, NH.

Used Sig 228's from W. Germany in blue will run 475-550.00 so the price for the nickel one here isn't that far out of line based on where it was made and it's finish being fairly scarce to find.

I don't own an Exeter made Sig. Refuse to buy their products, but do own two W. German Sig 228's and two W. German sig 220's in 45acp.

I find I like the non railed Sigs much better than the railed models.

Brownie
    Why is that. I have found the Exeter pistols to be every bit the equal of German made ones with the possible exception of some early 220's. Don't get me wrong, I think the 228 is a great pistol but this appears to be some of that Sig snobbery you find pretty often. I've seen this over on Sig Forum a lot. I don't judge a gun on where it was made. I judge it on how it shoots, reliability, and features. The 228 is somewhat lighter than the 229 but the difference is not that great, and with a simple barrel swap I can shoot .9mm, .357Sig, or .40 S&W in my 229 with a German made frame (non-railed)and a milled receiver.

Since the new imported German made 228's have rails I guess you wouldn't be interested.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by sigpack View Post
    Why is that. I have found the Exeter pistols to be every bit the equal of German made ones with the possible exception of some early 220's. Don't get me wrong, I think the 228 is a great pistol but this appears to be some of that Sig snobbery you find pretty often. I've seen this over on Sig Forum a lot. I don't judge a gun on where it was made. I judge it on how it shoots, reliability, and features. The 228 is somewhat lighter than the 229 but the difference is not that great, and with a simple barrel swap I can shoot .9mm, .357Sig, or .40 S&W in my 229 with a German made frame (non-railed)and a milled receiver.

Since the new imported German made 228's have rails I guess you wouldn't be interested.
    Nope, not interested in a new 228 from Exeter [ I have two from W. Germany that will do quite nicely and was willing to pay the extra for that quality ]. Yup, I'm a snob for the german engineered sigs. There's a reason for that, it's called Quality control, which exeter, under the direction of the former Kimber exec seems to feel they need a hundred models of their guns like Kimber did while QC suffers to an extent. They're mindset in QC isn't the same as the germans under that jerks direction. They're more interested in pumping out new models every few months and marketing in lieu of serious QC and customer service . I see no need to take chances on the issue when it's not necessary.

Sigs customer service in Exeter has left a lot to be desired as well, and I know that from first hand experience on an early 220 "carry" model.

You don't judge a gun on where it was made? I do. I like my Belgian p35's from the 60's, not the ones made later in Portugal, I like my Winchesters in pre 64, not the ones made later by a company that only used the name, etc.

I have the resources to be a snob if I like and take pleasure in knowing the guns I choose to carry are the best I can buy with a history of QC. Is there a problem with being a snob when it comes to making the very best informed decision when my life's at stake if I carry that gun? I don't think so and it's my life that's at stake when I'm carrying some product, not anyone else's. I'm not alive by accident, nor do I plan on changing that any time soon.

This guy has a problem with his new Sig220R-- http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...r-jamming.html

This was unheard of in years past with the 220's, another example of QC and there are more guns out there to prove this thesis than this one, bet on it.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Sorry for the thread jack OP. I also retract my assessment. Haven't gun shopped in a while and it appears that price is now not far out of line. Thanks Obama. There are some black ones out there though.

Sig 228

Who has the Sig 228 for sale? If it is still for sale please email me at greatfun7@gmail.com. I am interested in it. I have a few questions though.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Nope, not interested in a new 228 from Exeter [ I have two from W. Germany that will do quite nicely and was willing to pay the extra for that quality ]. Yup, I'm a snob for the german engineered sigs. There's a reason for that, it's called Quality control, which exeter, under the direction of the former Kimber exec seems to feel they need a hundred models of their guns like Kimber did while QC suffers to an extent. They're mindset in QC isn't the same as the germans under that jerks direction. They're more interested in pumping out new models every few months and marketing in lieu of serious QC and customer service . I see no need to take chances on the issue when it's not necessary.

Sigs customer service in Exeter has left a lot to be desired as well, and I know that from first hand experience on an early 220 "carry" model.

You don't judge a gun on where it was made? I do. I like my Belgian p35's from the 60's, not the ones made later in Portugal, I like my Winchesters in pre 64, not the ones made later by a company that only used the name, etc.

I have the resources to be a snob if I like and take pleasure in knowing the guns I choose to carry are the best I can buy with a history of QC. Is there a problem with being a snob when it comes to making the very best informed decision when my life's at stake if I carry that gun? I don't think so and it's my life that's at stake when I'm carrying some product, not anyone else's. I'm not alive by accident, nor do I plan on changing that any time soon.

This guy has a problem with his new Sig220R-- http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...r-jamming.html

This was unheard of in years past with the 220's, another example of QC and there are more guns out there to prove this thesis than this one, bet on it.

Brownie
    Quakity control. Same reason you couldn't give me a Kimber. Pretty, overpriced weapons that have malfunctioned more than any other brand of 1911's I have ever seen.

As far as the SIG goes if you can afford it, buy it. Not many in nickel and a fine 9mm.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

228 for sale

If it is still available please contact me directly. I am very interested.

tickilola@ymail.com

I had one of the original fed-issued 228s and it's grips fit me great . . . I wear a mens medium glove. As for the new 228 with a rail, never tried one, but as a purist, I would leave the bells and whistles alone and stick with the basic design. If you want to add a light and have some extra $, go with laser grips.
    I'd pick up an early model 228 in a heartbeat if I could find one!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2rott View Post
    I've owned a Sig 226 in the past.. How does the 228 grip compare? I found the 226 was too big for my small hand. I know I could get thinner grip plates for the 228 & a shorter trigger.
    I think you'll find the 228 will fit your hand much better than the 226. Own a 228 and shot quite a few 226's. Big difference (smaller) in the grip and reach to the trigger. I too have small hands and have no problems reaching the trigger and controls/

Outstanding compact pistol that is extremely reliable and accurate. You won't sell it after you buy it. I like the nickel's myself. The finish holds up much better than the black model.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I bought a 228 from a Sig dealer brand new with a tactical rail last month. The date on the factory Sig blue box is February 19, 2009.
    A very nice shooter and you can get magazines for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links