Pocket Relvolver??

This is a discussion on Pocket Relvolver?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for the smallest revolver I can find for pocket carry. Hoping you guys can help. I would like to find one in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Relvolver??

Pocket Relvolver??

I am looking for the smallest revolver I can find for pocket carry. Hoping you guys can help. I would like to find one in 357 mag, but willing to consider 38spl. I thought about an auto but the only thing I see on the market for pocket carry in my price range is Kel-Tec 32's and 380's, and of course Ruger's new LCP 380. I have nothing against them, Iam just not a 380 fan. Would like to find something in the $400.00- $500.00 range. I don't know much about whats on the revolver market these days, all I have is autos at this point. I have a Kahr P-40 and a Kel-Tec P-11 both function great, but still a little big for pocket carry. Can you guys recommend anything? Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Too bad you're not a 380 fan. Even has a Crimson Trace laser sight available for it.

Rugerís Radical New Lightweight Compact Revolver .38 Special LCR

Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Smith and Wesson wrote the book on pocket revolvers with their J-Frames.

My 637.

Can probably find a nice used one in your price range. Excellent quality. Many (most) will recommend you find one without a lock.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
    I am looking for the smallest revolver I can find for pocket carry. Hoping you guys can help. I would like to find one in 357 mag, but willing to consider 38spl. I thought about an auto but the only thing I see on the market for pocket carry in my price range is Kel-Tec 32's and 380's, and of course Ruger's new LCP 380. I have nothing against them, Iam just not a 380 fan. Would like to find something in the $400.00- $500.00 range. I don't know much about whats on the revolver market these days, all I have is autos at this point. I have a Kahr P-40 and a Kel-Tec P-11 both function great, but still a little big for pocket carry. Can you guys recommend anything? Thanks
    For pocket, consider the Biretta Tomcat .32. only a 2.4" barrel length. This is a semi-Auto but is my choice. It is priced right, well made and with HP can be considered as a very good defensive back-up pocket pistol.

I would ISP holster anything larger.

Not a pocket but something you might take a look at is the Walther PPS sub compact. It is more expensive but is available in 9mm or .40.

Smith and Wesson 642 or 442. Excellent guns! Small, light, hammerless, and fits your price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Smith and Wesson 642 or 442. Excellent guns! Small, light, hammerless, and fits your price range.
    I have the S&W 442 its an "Airweight" weighing about 16 ozs unloaded. It fits in my pocket easily with a pocket holster. With no hammer and smooth lines it comes out easily. It will handle +P ammo although I do not use it on a regular basis. Loaded with good SD ammo like Cor Bon JHP or DPX it would be a very effective weapon. During the warm weather it is my primary weapon.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

look for an old model 36 and/or model 60. the prices of new j-frame are sky high. but, used j-frame have not gotten as high. most j-frames have not been shot a lots and a used one are a good deal.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Too bad you're not a 380 fan. Even has a Crimson Trace laser sight available for it.

Rugerís Radical New Lightweight Compact Revolver .38 Special LCR

What does this .38 have to do with (liking or not liking) .380's??
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    What does this .38 have to do with (liking or not liking) .380's??
    My bad. ADHD got me again.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

You can't go wrong with a J Frame.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

EW3
    IMO, a .38 J-Frame is still too big for pocket carry. I've tried it but it's heavy and bulky, even the 15 oz Model 642/442.

IMO, this is the ultimate "pocket revolver" and I have one as my "run to the grocery store" gun:

North American Arms PUG, .22 Magnum:

It's a reall blast to shoot and you can even get the XS Big Dot night sight for the front!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" Ė George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    IMO, a .38 J-Frame is still too big for pocket carry. I've tried it but it's heavy and bulky, even the 15 oz Model 642/442.

IMO, this is the ultimate "pocket revolver" and I have one as my "run to the grocery store" gun:

North American Arms PUG, .22 Magnum:

It's a reall blast to shoot and you can even get the XS Big Dot night sight for the front!

I have been pocket carrying a Smith and Wesson 640 for almost a year now, it depends on the size of the pocket and the type of clothing worn... but I carry it more than the Sig 220 and when I carry both I still carry the 640 as a BUG... I actually replaced both a Khar K9 micro (was not reliable enough for me) and a Keltec .32ACP (small but was not confortable with the caliber).
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
    I am just not a 380 fan.
    .380 was the standard in Europe for a very long time. If you load a good quality SD round such as CorBon DPX or equivalent in it, you should have enough weapon for SD.

No one that has posted that they do not like .380 has taken me up on my offer to stand up if front of my Kel-Tec P-3AT when I fire it. They must believe that it is enough gun.

The P-3AT is my EDC weapon while I am wearing slacks and shirt at work. It disappears into my back pocket. I use a DeSantis Super Fly pocket holster. Otherwise, I carry a G23 or Bersa 9UC when possible using a Tagua Gun Leather "Quick Draw".
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    IMNSHO you just can't beat a J-frame S&W.
    My model 36 nickel finish weighs a whopping 20 oz and with a steel frame, and I can hide it in a pocket with ease.
    I carry mine in an OWB holster and even in skimpy summer clothes it can't be seen.
    Pocket carry is even easier and at 20 oz I'll take a steel frame over a lightweight anyday.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    +1 handled and shot many of them. You will like them and they will get the job done. I will be purchasing one soon.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links