Range report HK USP compact 9mm with one hitch and Q

This is a discussion on Range report HK USP compact 9mm with one hitch and Q within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I took my new HK USP compact 9mm Stainless and put 275 rounds through it. 25 rounds of Remington Golden Sabre regular round, ie ...

Thread: Range report HK USP compact 9mm with one hitch and Q

So I took my new HK USP compact 9mm Stainless and put 275 rounds through it. 25 rounds of Remington Golden Sabre regular round, ie not the +p, and 250 rounds of Winchester white box.

I shot the golden sabre first and immidiatly noticed the total lack of recoil. When shooting the second mag of RGS I had a hitch. Stupid me I cant remeber what happened exacly but I think after I pulled the trigger, the round fired, the action went back and forth and I pulled the trigger again and got a click. heres what i cannot remember, I cant remember if I racked the slide and an empty cassing came out or if nothing came out. Either way I finished the last of the RGS without a problem. I then shot all 250 rounds of the Win whitebox without a single hitch but noticed more recoil in those over the golden sabre.

The gun was very very accurate and I love it to death but am concerned with what happened with the non +p golden sabre. i was given the ammo when I bought the gun and have no idea how old it was, it may have been 10+ years old, since the gun is 11 years old its self.

ideas??
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

NRA member/TSRA member

Lead Moderator
    Shoot some more and verify the gun works flawlessly. It should as HK has a good rep for quality guns, but any company can make a bad gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'm betting on bad ammo as the 4 I've been around have all been flawless. I would put a few hundred rounds downrange to make sure.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    +1 on shooting more, 1 FTF, FTL, FTE in the first 25 is too much. Try more of the RGS if that's what you plan on carrying, otherwise shoot at least 100 rds of what you do plan on carrying to make sure it fits into your guns "diet".
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I wasnt planning on using the remington, I am planning on using Ferderal Hydrashock +p+
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

NRA member/TSRA member

You are headed in the right direction IMO. It is probably the ammo. Shake it off and keep going.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Congrats on your purchase. I own two H&Ks, a full sized USP 9mm (USPf9) & a P2000 and love them both. With about 2,000 rnds thru the USPf9 & 3,500 rnds thru the P2000, I have never had a jam in the P2000 and only one jam in the USPf9, which was caused by loading the magazine with a UPLULA (it creased the casing).

Like you, I mostly shoot WWB 100 rnd value packs.

I have used Rem Golden Saber 147 gr & Federal Hydra Shok 135 gr (neither +P) SD ammo in my guns for the last ten years, rotating about 50 rounds of each per yr thru both w/out any problems.

If this is a used gun, you might want to check the extractor area for residue buildup. Over time, those areas collect quite a bit of crud and are particularly hard to get at to clean.

Another thing sometimes known to cause jams in H&Ks are the 10 round magazines; something to do with the springs. If you can, get the 13 rnd, standard mags. The Sportsman's Warehouse near me has been out of those mags since the election but I think CDNN CDNN Sports, Inc. has them.

As a new H&K owner, I would call your attention to:

HKPRO.COM--The Unofficial Website for the Uncompromising HK Enthusiast

They have forums for everything H&K and you can get the answer to questions on anything H&K pretty quickly.

Best of luck w/your new H&K.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I just gave the extractor a good rub down and it did have some gunk under the tooth that I did not catch the last time I cleaned it.

The Golden Sabre I shot was loaded in 2 mags, one a 10 rounder and the other a 13 rounder. I cant remember which mag I was using when I hit that hitch though. :(

I think I'll sell the 10 rounders I have and get a few of the 13 round mags in their stead. I will also be sticking with Federal Hydras in +p+

NRA member/TSRA member

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I carry a Pro2K, have 2 of them and a USP9. I fired 1500 rounds from one in a week and a half, 500 WWB, 1K my reload. After each drill session I shoot 10 rounds of HST 124 grain to check zero. No malfunctions after the initial 100 rounds.
    First 100 rounds were WWB and I had two FTF's I ejected the rounds and fired them at the end of the session.
    Whe I went to LFI the top shooter, an airline pilot, had an HKUSPC, Mas Ayoob beat him by 2 points.
    Have faith in the HK, just break it in.

Links