1911 Choice

This is a discussion on 1911 Choice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I vote for the springfield, you cant go wrong...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Choice

I vote for the springfield, you cant go wrong
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theheater905 View Post
    SigP250,
    I did have a Kimber Ultra CDPII about a year ago but it had some feeding issues. Although it was a beautiful weapon I just couldn't trust it 100% for carry. I never knew when it would fail to chamber a round. I think part of the problem was due to the short slide and light weight of the gun. The smaller guns dont seem to have the reliability of the 4&5 inch steel guns. This is what prompted me to look at the the bigger heavier 1911's.
    Thanks to everyone for their input and help.
    Springfield Arms makes a good 1911, Kimber makes a good 1911.
    It is a matter of choice. I have a Springfield XD Sub compact 9mm that I like. All Springfields are reliable and will shoot almost anything you put into them.

How were you cleaning the pistol? Some pistols like the Kimber and some Sig's need light grease rather than just regular gun oil. I use white lithium grease on two points of the slide and oil on the rest. I never clean the barrel from the muzzle end. This can easily damage a pistol that is as finely machined such as a Kimber and any Sig's, Walther's, etc.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    [QUOTE=SIGP250;1063487]These are rather large pistols and will be difficult to conceal.

I might recommed you have a look at the Kimber 1911 Compact.

"It has been thoroughly tested and proven design, and fires the very substantial .45ACP round. It also happens to be rather slim, and Compact (4" barrel) or Ultra-Compact (3" barrel) models can be very convenient to wear. It is also a single-action, which means that its trigger pull is much more responsive. The 3 largest manufacturers of 1911s are Kimber, Springfield Armory, and Colt. I've heard nothing good about Colt lately, and Kimber has the most modern machining processes."

I respectfully disagree. At 5'7" and 175 lbs I can carry my full size SA with no problem concealed in a HBE COM III or DC Special year round.

I will not own a 1911 unless the barrel length is 5". Had a SA Champion that made 5 trips to the factory and still wouldn't run. The chopped guns have to be tuned to a higher standard than the full length original design. Have also personally seen too many malfunction to EVER go back to one. Sure there are good ones out there but don't want or need the frustration and costs to own one again. You are trusting your life with a CCW, and if I have any doubt to it's reliablity will not carry or own it

Either Springer should serve you well. I myself would buy the Mil-Spec and modify it as YOU like. My SA Standard (same gun made in the US in 1990) has been the most reliable semi next to my SIG 228 that I have ever owned. Change the recoil and mag springs out every year and NO malfunctions in over 20K rounds. JMO and good luck!

SG
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=Sportsterguy;1065600]
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    These are rather large pistols and will be difficult to conceal.

I might recommend you have a look at the Kimber 1911 Compact.

"It has been thoroughly tested and proven design, and fires the very substantial .45ACP round. It also happens to be rather slim, and Compact (4" barrel) or Ultra-Compact (3" barrel) models can be very convenient to wear. It is also a single-action, which means that its trigger pull is much more responsive. The 3 largest manufacturers of 1911s are Kimber, Springfield Armory, and Colt. I've heard nothing good about Colt lately, and Kimber has the most modern machining processes."

I respectfully disagree. At 5'7" and 175 lbs I can carry my full size SA with no problem concealed in a HBE COM III or DC Special year round.

I will not own a 1911 unless the barrel length is 5". Had a SA Champion that made 5 trips to the factory and still wouldn't run. The chopped guns have to be tuned to a higher standard than the full length original design. Have also personally seen too many malfunction to EVER go back to one. Sure there are good ones out there but don't want or need the frustration and costs to own one again. You are trusting your life with a CCW, and if I have any doubt to it's reliability will not carry or own it

Either Springer should serve you well. I myself would buy the Mil-Spec and modify it as YOU like. My SA Standard (same gun made in the US in 1990) has been the most reliable semi next to my SIG 228 that I have ever owned. Change the recoil and mag springs out every year and NO malfunctions in over 20K rounds. JMO and good luck!

SG
    Thank you for your opinion. I sincerely appreciate your comments.

I do not consider myself an authority on the 1911 subject or what or how to carry.

As you may note, what I posted was a quote from another reviewer.

I do not own a Kimber 1911 myself although I feel it is a fine pistol.

I'm about your size but weigh somewhat less. I prefer the smaller sub compacts but that is only my preference.

I own a SA XD sub compact 9mm and feel it is like a brick to carry.

Overall, I prefer a Sig. My P250 compact. It is for now, what I am most comfortable with but is not so easy for me to easily conceal under all conditions.

Recently I purchased a Walther .40 S&W PPS. I like shooting this and like to carry it.
    It is relativly new.

It is, I suppose similar to a Glock 17 except slimmer, only 1" wide.

With the economy as it is, I can't go out and buy a gun a week as I would like to. For now, it is more like buying one good pistol each year.

I just got back from the indoor range I regularly shoot at. To be quite honest, I have the most fun with my Walther P22. With HP, I have no doubt that I could stop an assailant with this.

There is also no doubt that a 5" barrel in any caliber is probably going to be more accurate. In Missouri CCW allows up to a 15" barrel so a full size service pistol may be right for you but not for me, except at a target range or for inside the home self defense.
    Last edited by SIGP250; March 15th, 2009 at 12:19 AM.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I would just make sure you can work the gun i have been drooling over many 1911's so i checked out one of my dad's 3.5bushing barrel to see it and what i liked I noticed that I could not reach the slide stop/release too far in and not sure of the thumb safety my fingers would go past them not touching a thing and would need a bigger tail small hand's I guess so my .02 is make sure it fits first!

I just carry a different one each day..

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Unless you go with a custom. Just buy a Springer Loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Tn Mitch View Post
    I just carry a different one each day..
    I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!

You have a nice collection.

As for the op, get the Loaded.
    bonis nocet quisqus malis perpercit

I can't recommend a pistol incorporating the Swartz style safety, therefor I cannot recommend the S&W (or Gen II Kimbers with the Swartz system). So of your two choices, the SA Loaded it is.

What's wrong with a Swartz style safety? It is sensitive to the fit and timing issues which may evolve into a "click" instead of a "bang." Actually, a "nothing" instead of a "bang," but you get the idea. Not a problem in a range piece, but why limit yourself to something confined as a range piece.

And folks will come along who drew reasonably fit and well timed pistols from the lot and decry criticism of the safety system that works for them. I'm glad for their luck and lack of issues. May it remain that way, particularly if they are relying on their pistols.
    God, country, family.

Personally, between those two, I would get the Springfield.
    NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Kimber ... I was able to hit an old hard disk drive from my computer that crashed the SOB about 3 months ago .... yeah as a matter of fact today I hit it from 35 yards one shot and blew a hole completely through it.

Whatever 1911 you get make sure you do 4 inch. Honestly the 3" is really good but one extra inch isnt anything more to carry in all respect and it has rifle like action.

I cant imagine the 3" is nearly as accurate as the 4".
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Just thinking about this thread makes me want to get a 5" full size for comp shooting... gotta get my ar built first..
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

I finally made it to the range to try out my friends Springfield Loaded and I was impressed. The gun was very accurate, easy to shoot and had no problems. The one thing I did noticed was that the magazines felt a bit cheap, but thats easily fixed with mags from Wilson or another brand. Decision made, first choice Springfield Loaded, I buy it tomorrow. After seeing TN's collection I may leave the order in on the Smith also, hopefully by the time it comes in I will have some extra money to buy that one too. Regardless of what happens I'll still have the Springfield, it is my first choice. My thanks to everyone for their help and input.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theheater905 View Post
    I finally made it to the range to try out my friends Springfield Loaded and I was impressed. The gun was very accurate, easy to shoot and had no problems. The one thing I did noticed was that the magazines felt a bit cheap, but thats easily fixed with mags from Wilson or another brand. Decision made, first choice Springfield Loaded, I buy it tomorrow. After seeing TN's collection I may leave the order in on the Smith also, hopefully by the time it comes in I will have some extra money to buy that one too. Regardless of what happens I'll still have the Springfield, it is my first choice. My thanks to everyone for their help and input.

I am by no means an expert on guns or pistols. Some the members here have much more experience than I do.

I am glad that you had the chance to try before you buy. This is often not possible.

I shoot what I am comfortable with. It is not a revolver. It is a pistol.

My first purchase it was a Sig Sauer P250 Compact and a Walther

P22 (.22 long rifle) for cheap practice. The Sig is a fairly new pistol with some advanced features. It has proven to be very reliable for me.

Second a bought Springfield Armory XD Sub Compact with laser grips. I did not like shooting this pistol much and found the laser to always be in the way. Unless shooting from the hip, I found lasers are not really needed most of the time.

I wanted something more compact so my next was the Walther PPS
    .40. This pistol is a very well made, very slim Sub Compact and shoots very accurately.

Looking for a .45 ACP, I could just by a new slide and magazines for the SIG P250. That would cost me only about $550 for the slide and a coupe magazines.

As I do carry a CCW, I want a comfortable reliable pistol that is very concealable.

Moving into the 1911’s I find Kimber to be the most modern and trusted technology.
    Unlike the XD or XDm. Kimbers are entirely made in the USA, a plus to me for now.

My next purchase will not be a .45 with a 5” barrel. It will probably be the Kimber Ultra Carry II with night sights, a blackened stainless steel slide, not milled aluminum, and will have a 3” barrel, not 4” or 5”. This pistol weighs only 25 ounces.

While most practice indoors from 3 yards, this pistol is proven to accuratly shoot a man size target up to 200 yards, if you can control it.
    - Zen Saying

Of your choices, I have to go with the Springfield...

Some sweet pistolas in the above thread...gotta' love the 1911.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links