1911 Choice

This is a discussion on 1911 Choice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am planning to buy a new 1911 and have narrowed the choice down to two guns, unfortunately I cant make a decision on which ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Choice

1911 Choice

I am planning to buy a new 1911 and have narrowed the choice down to two guns, unfortunately I cant make a decision on which one to buy. I just dont know which is the better of the two guns or even if one can be considered superior. I basically have limited knowledge of both, the only info coming from the manufacturers website. The two guns I am considering are:
    Springfield Armory Loaded 5" Parkerized Model # PX9109LP OR
    S&W 1911 TFP 5" Black Melonite Model# 108309.
    Both guns are very close in price so that is not an issue, each gun also has features that I like and or dislike between them.
    A friend has the Springer Loaded so I plan to test fire it this weekend, as for the Smith, I have fired a 1911PD Gunsite which is the closest I can come to comparing the guns I am considering. If anyone has more in depth knowledge I would appreciate the help.

2. Remove Ads

Tough call. I'd go with the SA Loaded but that's just me.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

I have the loaded 5" parkerized model. Its been great. I haven't had any issues with it. I did change out the full length guide rode for a GI spec plug, which is the only mod I had to make. So far its fed every type of ammo I have tried through it.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    If it's for CCW pick the lightest. My carry is a S&W 1911PD (gunsite edition). If you're trying to carry a full size 1911 as a daily carry you will notice the weight difference very quickly. If it's for home defense or non-carry I'd go with SA over S&W.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

That was one of the things I did not like about the Springer, the 2 piece guide rod also the ambi safety. Both are really minor issues though. I also think the Melonite on the Smith might hold up better than the Parkerized finish. Another point is the Springer is made in Brazil and the Smith in USA. The one big point is I can get the Springer now, the Smith wont be in until June, the wait just gives me a chance to save more money. I wish I could afford both, its just not an option at this time. I am just looking for the best of the 2 guns, regardless of the minor differences. These are the thoughts running around in my mind.

Distinguished Member
    Between the two I would take the Smith.

I own a SA 1911 and would suggest it. I have owned two non-1911 S&W and one was good the other was not so much, but it did work. (642 & SW9VE) I would say you can;t really go wrong.
    --
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theheater905 View Post
    I am planning to buy a new 1911 and have narrowed the choice down to two guns, unfortunately I cant make a decision on which one to buy. I just dont know which is the better of the two guns or even if one can be considered superior. I basically have limited knowledge of both, the only info coming from the manufacturers website. The two guns I am considering are:
    Both guns are very close in price so that is not an issue, each gun also has features that I like and or dislike between them.
    A friend has the Springer Loaded so I plan to test fire it this weekend, as for the Smith, I have fired a 1911PD Gunsite which is the closest I can come to comparing the guns I am considering. If anyone has more in depth knowledge I would appreciate the help.
    These are rather large pistols and will be difficult to conceal.

I might recommed you have a look at the Kimber 1911 Compact.

"It has been thoroughly tested and proven design, and fires the very substantial .45ACP round. It also happens to be rather slim, and Compact (4" barrel) or Ultra-Compact (3" barrel) models can be very convenient to wear. It is also a single-action, which means that its trigger pull is much more responsive. The 3 largest manufacturers of 1911s are Kimber, Springfield Armory, and Colt. I've heard nothing good about Colt lately, and Kimber has the most modern machining processes."

Author of this review unknown.

I doubt I will be carrying this 1911, its just a bit heavy. I do agree that I'd have to have a different choice if its intended use was as a CCW. This gun will most likely be for the enjoyment of owning a good 1911 and the fun of shooting it. Looks like my decision will be decided this weekend when I see how well it shoots. Any opinions on the S&W Melonite finish vs the Springers Parkerized?

VIP Member
    I doubt I will be carrying this 1911, its just a bit heavy. I do agree that I'd have to have a different choice if its intended use was as a CCW. This gun will most likely be for the enjoyment of owning a good 1911 and the fun of shooting it. Looks like my decision will be decided this weekend when I see how well it shoots. Any opinions on the S&W Melonite finish vs the Springers Parkerized?
    Sorry, no opinion on the finishes as long as each are of a stainless steel substrate.

I would still have a look at the Kimber 1911 models though more expensive than Springfield Arms.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I have carried my springer parkerized for a while in all kinds of weather sweating on it and getting it wet, never had an issue. When I worked in a gun store we would get some S&W's with the melonite finish that had a bit of rust on them from the factory, so I would say the springer holds up better.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

SigP250,
    I did have a Kimber Ultra CDPII about a year ago but it had some feeding issues. Although it was a beautiful weapon I just couldn't trust it 100% for carry. I never knew when it would fail to chamber a round. I think part of the problem was due to the short slide and light weight of the gun. The smaller guns dont seem to have the reliability of the 4&5 inch steel guns. This is what prompted me to look at the the bigger heavier 1911's.
    Thanks to everyone for their input and help.

I just bought this PB9151LP Springfeild 45.Mil spec,I guess its the plain version of what your wanting,Im a nubie at 1911s my self,bought a Black Colt Golden Cup Trophy last time,so I thought Springfeild,and the SS caught my eye,and it was only $650.00 before tax new,cam with holster,mag holders,,extra black plastic grips,all that stuff,like when you buy a XDM or something,I dont like the pointy trigger,all my others have he combat trigger,but at that price,I cant say much,The trigger feels alittle tight,though I havent fired a round out of it yet.Maybe next week.I hope you pick the right one for you,or in time buy them both,even if it takes a year...

on the right is my new S&W 1911,I bought last week,it cost ,twice what that Springfeild did..

Mitch,
    I always liked the Mil Spec just because it is more plain, its a nice piece and you should enjoy it. Right now I am leaning towards taking the Loaded, since the S&W wont be in until June I'm hoping I can save more cash and possibly buy that one too.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I own a Springfield 1911 and it's mostly a range pistol all though I have used it for ccw on a very short outing.Out of all the firearms made this seems to invoke the most passion when someone ask what to buy.Both are good in my
    book but it's Springer by a nose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links