Sig P220R Jamming

Sig P220R Jamming

This is a discussion on Sig P220R Jamming within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my new Sig P220R to the range today. Every few mags I would have a Jam. Usually at the end of the magazine.I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P220R Jamming

Sig P220R Jamming

Took my new Sig P220R to the range today. Every few mags I would have a Jam. Usually at the end of the magazine.I was using Blazer ammo.... Anybody have this problem to? Any Suggestions?
    It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?

keep your nose in the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kersey View Post
    Took my new Sig P220R to the range today. Every few mags I would have a Jam. Usually at the end of the magazine.I was using Blazer ammo.... Anybody have this problem to? Any Suggestions?
    First of all, WELCOME!

Call SIG's customer service. While I had no malfuncions, I was concerned about the DAK trigger on my P229 SAS. I pointed out my concern and they immediately said they would e-mail a prepaid overnight shipping label to me and check it out. 7 days later it was back after having the trigger checked out and brought into tolerances.

Excellent customer service--call them now. Phone: (603) 772-2302 (press #3 for Customer Service).
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

New Sigs are really tight and I have heard they sometimes take a few hundred rounds to break in. Mine have been faultless although they too were really tight. One thing I have done is to lock the slide back before going to bed and leave it overnight three or four times before taking it to the range for the first time. Seems to free the springs up a little. Another issue is the mags. I have gotten some with a LOT of gunk in them. If your gun and mags are cleaned and lubed I would definately call customer service.

clean your mags really well and if that doesn't work send it to SIG.

VIP Member
    +1 on stripping, cleaning and lubing the MAG. While you're in there, strech the spring a little, I had Sig's customer service reccomend this to me, never had a problem. I clean and lube the mags every time I do the gun, I strech the springs every time I clean the mags. I never have any problems.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; March 13th, 2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Well to the sickness of Sig.......

I own several. Never had any problems with any of mine except, had to break in the Misquito with a couple hundred rounds.

But for what it is worth, blazer is NOT the best ammo in the world. I'd try another brand of ammo first.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    Well to the sickness of Sig.......

But for what it is worth, blazer is NOT the best ammo in the world. I'd try another brand of ammo first.
    True Blazer isn't the best, I shoot Blazer Brass through mine at the range, and never have a problem. I haven't tried the lesser Blazer, just the brass.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    The ammo shouldnt be an issue, especially if you see a pattern likeyou have said with the magazine.

I can probably help you or at least put you in the right direction, but I have some follow up questions;

1st, is it the same mag each time?

2nd, What kind of jam is it?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I changed Mags half way through to see if that would work. The Bullet doesn't cycle all the way into the chamber. Gets about 3/4 way in and then stops....
    It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?

keep your nose in the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

Try a different ammo.

I had a similar problem when I started reloading. Turned out that I was not crimping the case enough. When shooting, about 1 in 10 rounds would hold the breech open about 1/3 of the way. Shouldn't be that way with factory rounds but sounds like the same type of misfeed.

You can check the bullet with a bullet gage or by removing the barrel from the gun and using that. But note that the barrel is not as accurate as the gage. Turns out that bullets that drop into my Sig barrel would not drop all the way in my Glock barrel, hence the problem.

Rather than free advice on an Internet forum, call SIG!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I just purchased a Sig P220 Combat TR on saturday. I took it to the range saturday and the gun jammed every round. I asked one of the guys at the range and he said you need to break it in by shooting 300-500 rounds through it. It took me over a hour to get 25 or so rounds fired before I gave up for the day. I own many guns and have never had an issue like this before so I called Sig first thing this morning and they emailed me a return shipping tag. They wanted to inspect the gun and said it would be 2-3 week before I have it back. Being I just purchased the gun I decided to go to the range for lunch (not the same one) and was having the same issue. I consulted with the gun tech at this range (another sig dealer) and he looked at the gun and felt there was something very wrong with this gun and said "send it back". So I typed a letter asking Sig to send me a new gun or to have the store that I purchased it at refund me what I paid for it. The reason being is that if this gun was having this many issues out of the box I don't think I could ever depend on this actual gun if need be. Being it was my first Sig purchase (Big H&K supporter) I was less then happy with my new purchase. Anyone else have issues with the Sig P220 Combat????

i bought a new 220 carry last year. had the exact same problems, i got mad and traded it off. in hindsight i wish i had sent it to sig.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have not noticed any break-in period with the classic SIGs.

Call SIG. They will probably either send you new mags or have you send the gun in to have the recoil spring changed. Or you could see if SIXTO can give you some more specific advice for doing it yourself.

Yes, it does seem like SIG has more QC issues these days than they used to, but by and large they seem to do a good job of fixing the occasional problem and not needing to fix the same problem twice. It's new, you've got a warranty; I would suggest using it.

Good luck. If you get this hiccup sorted out, the P220 is a great gun.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links