Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís

This is a discussion on Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 2gunken This is going to upset a bunch of the diehard 1911 folkís and Iím sorry about that. That is not my ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís

los
    Quote Originally Posted by 2gunken View Post
    This is going to upset a bunch of the diehard 1911 folkís and Iím sorry about that. That is not my intent but Iím sick of 1911 articles. You canít pick up a gun magazine without a doggone 1911 article. The 1911 thing has been talked to death. I mean with all the new guns in the world what is it the point of beating that dead horse anymore. A 1911 is a great gun, been around a long time, works well, hits like a truck, grip angel. Bla bla blaÖ. So am I alone in this? Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís
    Have you ever own, fired and/or carried a 1911 ?

Just curious.

-Jimmy
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not alone at all. I have pretty much quit reading most gun mags, because they are basically "look at my tricked out 1911" mags. You don't see many articles on millions of modifications being done to actual working pistols like Glocks and Sigs because they don't need millions of modifications. You can't find hundreds of pages of aftermarket parts for actual working pistols because you don't need tons of aftermarket parts to make the gun do what it is supposed to...

Yes, the 1911 is (or at least, was) a great platform. Yes, it's great to own one, and you can tinker and tweak and decorate and fine tune and polish and port and change grips and modify controls and do whatever the heck it is all these people do with them. I understand the appeal of making something "yours," and unique. But for me, I'll stick to customizing my (car, house, garden, stamp collection...whatever my life doesn't depend on) and leave my life saving tools boringly reliable.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Well, then I need some professional help as well. The 1911 is the current "Flavor of the Month" gun like the AR15 series of rifles and it will fade once another one takes it's place after a while, just like the latest "hot gun" before it. I think that a big part of this is the whole "SUV effect" being transferred to handguns. Where it was once the status symbol to own the biggest, gas-hogginest SUV EVAR for the suburbs, it's the hottest gunnie status symbol to own a hideously expensive, (semi)hand-crafted 1911.

*shrugs* I'll keep shooting my "Tractor", thanks...

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Until they come out with a better more proven combat, competition, and self defense weapon and prove it with blood, I will then get sick of the articles and gun. :-) but I do understand what you mean. There are other things in life that I get tired of hearing about as well.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I think you're missing the point. Every time I pick up a magazine about firearms whether it be an article about the 1911 or the Glock or the Kahr; I enjoy it.
    It means that some one is involved in a pro 2A industry. Tricked out mags fine, manual safety on a Glock, okay. Are they needed? Not in my opinion.
    However someone likes them and that means more jobs, more money, and especially more clout with the polticians.
    So relax, unwind and thank God more American industry is involved in our fight for the 2A!!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Well, then I need some professional help as well. The 1911 is the current "Flavor of the Month" gun like the AR15 series of rifles and it will fade once another one takes it's place after a while, just like the latest "hot gun" before it. I think that a big part of this is the whole "SUV effect" being transferred to handguns. Where it was once the status symbol to own the biggest, gas-hogginest SUV EVAR for the suburbs, it's the hottest gunnie status symbol to own a hideously expensive, (semi)hand-crafted 1911.

*shrugs* I'll keep shooting my "Tractor", thanks...
    Not much is going to come out as a different "Flavor of the Month" in my opinion. I like the 1911 and hope to own more in the future. The articles do seem to repeat themselves and that gets irritating but like others have said too, I just skip over them!
    You've gotta admit, there isn't many guns out there that you can customize like a 1911. The three most highly customizable firearms on the market today are the 1911, the AR-15 and Rem 870. They are also at the top of the popularity list. It seems anymore that a gun manufacturer just isn't 'right' unless they're making some variation of a 'Black Rifle' or a 1911. They're all trying to get a foot in the door somehow or another. Don't ask me why!
    I like the 1911 and have never had a problem with the functionability of it. I do own other guns as well and carry them just as much, just depends on my mood!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Have you ever own, fired and/or carried a 1911 ?

Just curious.

-Jimmy
    Yes, I have had 3. I do like them. (Kimber,paraordnance, springfield armory)I like 1911's. I feel like the gun world could do a better job with its magazines. I just wish that I had the opportunity to read about ALL guns equally. So many people make the 1911 out to be THE ONLY gun to carry. Iím just saying that there are a lot of outstanding CCW firearms out there. Wish they got the same attention.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

Yeah... why don't they write more about the Hi-Point! Jk. I'd love to read more about other handguns too! Like the M&P I just bought!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

fwm
    When I was 8 -10 I carried a colt 1911 in the fields in Northen MO as protection against bears and cougars. (Yes, in the 50's they were there in abundance) It had been brought home from WWII by an older cousin.

At the time, it was the only pistol available, and most revolvers available were little 32's and 38's.

It was a fine gun then. This is now. The 1911 was developed before WWI. Since then there have been many engineering developments that, IMHO, render the 1911 obsolete for concealed carry. (Still a fine target weapon)

They are heavy, have too many functions necessary to keep them safe or make them ready to fire, and have a failure mode that can cause them to fire accidentally.

Modern defensive weapons are light, simple and generally just one function. You need to fire it, just pull the trigger. No decocks or cocking to do, no safeties to worry about, just treat them as you would a modern revolver. Point, pull, repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by fwm View Post
    When I was 8 -10 I carried a colt 1911 in the fields in Northen MO as protection against bears and cougars. (Yes, in the 50's they were there in abundance) It had been brought home from WWII by an older cousin.

At the time, it was the only pistol available, and most revolvers available were little 32's and 38's.

It was a fine gun then. This is now. The 1911 was developed before WWI. Since then there have been many engineering developments that, IMHO, render the 1911 obsolete for concealed carry. (Still a fine target weapon)

They are heavy, have too many functions necessary to keep them safe or make them ready to fire, and have a failure mode that can cause them to fire accidentally.

Modern defensive weapons are light, simple and generally just one function. You need to fire it, just pull the trigger. No decocks or cocking to do, no safeties to worry about, just treat them as you would a modern revolver. Point, pull, repeat as necessary.
    The parts in bold almost beg the start of a new thread! I've never had any of these problems and I've carried several different 1911's for defense! Never had one accidentally fire either. They're still so very popular and with respect, a lot of people would beg to differ about them being obsolete for Concealed Carry!

Quote Originally Posted by 2gunken View Post
    This is going to upset a bunch of the diehard 1911 folkís and Iím sorry about that. That is not my intent but Iím sick of 1911 articles. You canít pick up a gun magazine without a doggone 1911 article. The 1911 thing has been talked to death. I mean with all the new guns in the world what is it the point of beating that dead horse anymore. A 1911 is a great gun, been around a long time, works well, hits like a truck, grip angel. Bla bla blaÖ. So am I alone in this? Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís
    Me too.

I find the articles about the 1911s and talk from friends to be funny--first they spend a bundle on a 1911 and in the same breath tell of all the mods they need to do to it.

Me, I buy a SIG, M&P, Glock, etc. and start shooting right out of the box with no mods in the future!

Spend on, 1911 crowd....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it outĒ Ė Clint Smith

all my 1911s are awesome and so are my plastic junks, all right from the box the only $ I spent on all is holsters and ammo. what are we fighting again??? oh yeah neither get a revolver .
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

VIP Member
    The thing I hate about 1911s is that, since they are soooo fashionable, they cost so much. Who in their right mind really thinks a "semi" custom pistol like a Baer or Wilson should cost $2400? Why does a mass produced factory gun cost over $1000? Springfield loaded is the only nice 1911 I can think of that is priced reasonbly.

For the record: I own two of them and I love them, I just hate their price tags.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The thing I hate about 1911s is that, since they are soooo fashionable, they cost so much. Who in their right mind really thinks a "semi" custom pistol like a Baer or Wilson should cost $2400? Why does a mass produced factory gun cost over $1000? Springfield loaded is the only nice 1911 I can think of that is priced reasonbly.

For the record: I own two of them and I love them, I just hate their price tags.
    oh I know that one, because anything with a french name has to be super expensive, and wilson has John Moses Browning clones making them.

joking aside I agree
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Sometimes words are not needed. Ahhhhh, yes...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links