Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís

This is a discussion on Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am sorry if someone else has already touched on this, because I just browsed the other replies. The only reason you see so many ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís

I am sorry if someone else has already touched on this, because I just browsed the other replies. The only reason you see so many 1911 articles is because so many companies are making them. When you have to find a new gun to do an article on, and the only new thing out there is another type of 1911, guess what you will be doing an article on. So if you want to see articles about different guns, write your gun companies to do some R&D and create a new gun, don't just complain that there are too many 1911 articles.
    ĎĎTo disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.íí

ó George Mason

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    I am sorry if someone else has already touched on this, because I just browsed the other replies. The only reason you see so many 1911 articles is because so many companies are making them. When you have to find a new gun to do an article on, and the only new thing out there is another type of 1911, guess what you will be doing an article on. So if you want to see articles about different guns, write your gun companies to do some R&D and create a new gun, don't just complain that there are too many 1911 articles.
    This is a good point.

The 1911 is a platform which has been widely adopted and is produced by many different companies.

There is only one Glock, one S/A making the XD, for example.

You do see articles about the latest Glock, or XD, or Sig. But for every one of them, there at least five variations of a 1911 making the rounds.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Well, then I need some professional help as well. The 1911 is the current "Flavor of the Month" gun like the AR15 series of rifles and it will fade

Yea has been for the last 100 years or so it will fade anytime now
    كافر

VIP Member
    Maybe all those articles are published because that is what the public wants to see. Just like all the articles on guns based on the AR platform.
    For those who knock the 1911 for all the modifications people make to have them "accurate and reliable". I hope you don't own anything based on the AR platform. There are probably as many "How too" articles on making the reliable and accurate as there are for the 1911. Not to mention the page after page of upgrade parts available for them.
    The 1911 is a "classic design" that defines the modern semi-auto handgun, and what it is judged by. Just like the "57" Chevy Bel-Air is to cars.

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    Seems like I just said that a few posts ago!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

fwm
    Quote Originally Posted by ecorrigan View Post
    The parts in bold almost beg the start of a new thread! I've never had any of these problems and I've carried several different 1911's for defense! Never had one accidentally fire either. They're still so very popular and with respect, a lot of people would beg to differ about them being obsolete for Concealed Carry!
    I have seen several at my local gun shop for repairs that had a failure in the safety or decock mechanisms and would fire immediately when the safety was placed in the fire position. None of my DA only guns would ever fail like that.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    That is kind of the point........A bunch of people are just making the SAME gun. That isn't a bad thing. It just gets old. I think it has more to do with paying the bills at magazine company then new info for the gun user. Like I said, I like 1911's I'm just sick or reading about them.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

LOL. Just looked at my latest edition of G&A. Sure enough. Big picture of new S&W 1911 on the cover.
    Last edited by sigpack; March 13th, 2009 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Sometimes words are not needed. Ahhhhh, yes...

I'm sick of the 1911 too. Saw off those beaver tails and I would own one.
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

While I want one, I'm too shy about getting something that may be back to the shop two or three times before it functions as advertised.

I had a buddy in the Air Force who paid a whole lot of money for a Kimber 1911, and I don't think that thing has fired more than 10 rounds in a row without something going wrong. FTF and FTE galore.

His has been back to the gunsmith numerous times without any real gain. I think he finally cut his losses and let it look pretty in his gun safe.

There are lemons out there from every manufacturer, and I still believe that the 1911 is the "swiss army knife" of handguns since you can do so much with them, but for my money I need something that has a better chance of working the way it should when I buy it... I don't need a "kit" that needs to be worked over and over again to make it work the way it ought to.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Administrator
    The 1911 sells lot of magazines. Folks are pretty insatiable on the 1911.

There is very little that anybody can tell me about "Old Slabsides" that I've not read numerous times already and years ago at that.

Truthfully the vast majority of Colt 1911s and the higher quality clones work just fine right out of the box and without a break in period.

VIP Member
    Just another non-believing heathen!.........
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I like 1911's, I have two now, but I have cancelled my subscriptions to all magazines due to this reason. I still browse through them at the store and buy one from time to time when they have a review or something else that I want. There is so much 1911 love out there that my Glock feels like a Red Headed Step Child everytime I pass the magazine rack..

LOL.......I just cancelled my subscriptions as well. And don't worry about your Glock.......It has lot's of brothers and sisters that love it dearly. I just think most people don’t want to call a spade a spade out loud. A full size 1911 is an out dated, over sized piece of hardware that isn’t a reasonable choice for today’s CCW world. When It’s summertime and I’m in shorts and flip-flops I carry what’s comfortable. The world is full of lots of modern firearms that are just so much more suitable for every day carry. Those are the guns I would like to read about. Those are the guns I want to see on the cover of MODERN firearms magazines. Not some old war horse that was designed to be carried by a soldier and fight a war.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

I guess it's kinda like the auto magazines I read...to be honest, I get sick of seeing supercars and other quick and expensive thing-dongles in them. I'd rather read about the cars I might actually have a chance to own, you know, the kind most people have and would actually care to compare. I couldn't really give a half hoot over whether the Corvette ZR-1 is faster than the Skyline GTR unless I was trying to prove a point in a domestic vs. import argument (I'm a domestic guy).

Love the 1911, but I agree, let's see more stuff for the common folk!
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links