Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís - Page 5

Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís

This is a discussion on Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 2gunken This is going to upset a bunch of the diehard 1911 folk’s and I’m sorry about that. That is not my ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2gunken View Post
    This is going to upset a bunch of the diehard 1911 folk’s and I’m sorry about that. That is not my intent but I’m sick of 1911 articles. You can’t pick up a gun magazine without a doggone 1911 article. The 1911 thing has been talked to death. I mean with all the new guns in the world what is it the point of beating that dead horse anymore. A 1911 is a great gun, been around a long time, works well, hits like a truck, grip angel. Bla bla bla…. So am I alone in this? Am I the only one that’s sick of 1911’s

yes your alone..............

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Sometimes words are not needed. Ahhhhh, yes...

Don't make me get into the safe and take a picture of the kids!!!! Nice collection Sarge

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by fwm View Post
    I have seen several at my local gun shop for repairs that had a failure in the safety or decock mechanisms and would fire immediately when the safety was placed in the fire position. None of my DA only guns would ever fail like that.
    You must have your platforms confused, 1911s don't have a decock. If the safety is placed in the off position and the pistol fires immediately, someone that hasn't a clue of what they are doing has removed the half-cock notch.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I don't have a 1911. I know what you are talking about, because a few weeks ago, I did not buy a mag I looked over, because it seamed like to much of the same old thing (and there was a 1911 on the cover).

I find I can't help but read gun mags. When stories on 1911s pop up I tend to read those articles at least once before I pass the on to my brother (we share gun mags, we live a few streets from each other, no point in both buying the same mag). Then the mags end up at the family cabin to be reread a few time during a rainy day before being donate to a camp fire.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Well, then I need some professional help as well. The 1911 is the current "Flavor of the Month" gun like the AR15 series of rifles and it will fade once another one takes it's place after a while, just like the latest "hot gun" before it...
    I did agree with the quote for two readons.

I don't think 1911s can be considered the "Flavor of the Month". While I'm not a big fan, there is something about them that I think they will hold interest for the next 100 years (unless there is some drastic advancement in firearms). 1911s are worthy of bling (like a nice revolver). Some firearm platforms gain class when you fancy them up with non-functional eye candy. A plastic gun that is customized sometimes looks like it has been bedazzled.

I consider Glock, XDs, etc to be the firearms that maybe 50 years from now could fade. It is like some car from the 80s vs 50s. Sure, that well kept 80s is nice to look at, but the car from the 50s are the real classics.

Next, I don't think 1911s are like AR-15s. They might be someday, but if the military were to change to a new battle rifle, I do sometime wonder if the .223 round and AR-15s would maintain the same level of popularity.
    Last edited by Thanis; March 14th, 2009 at 03:20 AM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I agree with every gun magazine having an article about some type of 1911 pistol, and it's mostly the 1500-3,000 dollar models like Ed Brown or Wilson Combat. Just about every other issue of Combat Handguns that I pick up has a 1911 on the front cover, and I think I've read enough about them to last me a life time. The 1911 is a fantastic platform, but like any other gun there is only so much that can be said about them. I just can't see myself paying 2,000+ dollars for a .45 caliber single action handgun that does the same thing as a 700-800 dollar 1911. You might get maybe a better finish, along with all the "custom" features like skeletonized hammer and beaver tail, but those can be be easily put on a base model 1911 and you won't spend no more than 1,000 dollars in the end. If I'm going to pay 1500 dollars or more for a gun, I'm going to buy a rifle like an H&K 91 or a FN PS90. That is just me though.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    I'm in love with the 1911 but... I have to agree, I wish they'd stop beating this old horse too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I gave $145 for my old 1918 vintage Colt 1911...in 1978. It groups fine and feeds and functions perfectly. It isn't necessary to read about why one needs the latest and greatest version of the 1911 with the "special sauce and three kinds of cheese."

As far as I am concerned, you are.
    My 1911's are art, but I don't paint pictures with them. They are first and foremost tools. I will rely on them for self defense any time a situation calls for it. I train with them and shoot regularly and hit what I aim at both under stress and on the range. They don't get put away and forgotten about. Semi-custom? Absolutely. Expensive? Yes. Reliable? You betcha!
    That being said, I don't really have any thing against plastic, but I don't care for Glocks. My choice would be an H & K instead. I have two of them also in 45 acp and I can shoot them equally as well as I can my 1911's, but I prefer the feel and substance of hard steel made in the USA. To use your terms, I don't want to upset anyone or disparage their choice. 1911's are my choice.
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision. -- Unknown

that old war horse 2gunken has given you the freedom you have today and dont you forget it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2gunken View Post
    This is going to upset a bunch of the diehard 1911 folkís and Iím sorry about that. That is not my intent but Iím sick of 1911 articles. You canít pick up a gun magazine without a doggone 1911 article. The 1911 thing has been talked to death. I mean with all the new guns in the world what is it the point of beating that dead horse anymore. A 1911 is a great gun, been around a long time, works well, hits like a truck, grip angel. Bla bla blaÖ. So am I alone in this? Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís

Well, I think you just hit on all the reasons why the old horse is still kicking ass and taking names along with the new fangled guns

But yes, I am sick about 1911's. They're starting to multiply. I held a Sig RCS tonight and I'm drooling over it. Commander length slide, officer's frame, the CCO hybrid I've been drooling over for a while at a decent price.

Dang on things are multiplying, and I'm not seeing much of an end in sight

~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post

Don't make me get into the safe and take a picture of the kids!!!! Nice collection Sarge
    LOL ! I don't think you'll really do it. Nope... I'm certain.

Nice pics guys !

Dang it, with all these pictures ya'll are seriously making me want one...
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

This is for Wiggy.
    Try shooting a quality 1911 sometime and you just might be hooked forever. After all, there is a reason that 1911's are so popular.
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision. -- Unknown

As a relative newbie shooter who does not own a 1911 (thought I have shot a few), I am certainly not qualified to comment on the topic of the appropriateness of the of a 1911 vs more modern choices, but I recently read a thread on Stopping Power forum that I thought to be a highly informed discussion by someone who knows, a member of the LAPD SWAT who carries a 1911 on the job:

StoppingPower.net Forums - 1911 and Swat Spec Ops

His point was that a 1911 is like a thoroughbred horse, fast as hell but high maintenance. He said the tupperware were more like mules, they'll go all day long on a little bit of whatever feed is available but won't get you there as fast as the thoroughbred. He also said that twice a year he drops off his 1911 and a blank check with his gunsmith and that his EDC is a pair of XD9's

At this point, I am very comfortable with my HK or Kahr for EDC and like not having a manual safety on my EDC, but 1911's are intriguing. I doubt I would ever want a 1911 as a primary handgun, but the fact that 1911's are classic and 'hackable' appeals to me for the same reasons that that I like to shave with a straight razor and brush or work on cars I can tune without anything more than a timing light, tach and a small set of hand tools

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    His point was that a 1911 is like a thoroughbred horse, fast as hell but high maintenance. He said the tupperware were more like mules, they'll go all day long on a little bit of whatever feed is available but won't get you there as fast as the thoroughbred. He also said that twice a year he drops off his 1911 and a blank check with his gunsmith and that his EDC is a pair of XD9's.
    Or, as Ken Hackathorn puts it so succinctly, "If you want to treat your handgun like a lawnmower (or a tractor, in my case), get a Glock (or a Ruger)."

I'm not an armorer and have no wish to become one. I'm not into gun games. I'm not willing to spend five times as much for an extra 1-2% of "performance", as defined differently by each shooter. And I really don't care that my trigger feels like shifting an early-model John Deere with a bad clutch after shooting my buddy's super-slick Sig 1911's trigger (which created the funniest anticipating recoil/bad trigger pull EVAR on my part once).

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links