Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís

This is a discussion on Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is going to upset a bunch of the diehard 1911 folkís and Iím sorry about that. That is not my intent but Iím sick ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís

Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís

This is going to upset a bunch of the diehard 1911 folkís and Iím sorry about that. That is not my intent but Iím sick of 1911 articles. You canít pick up a gun magazine without a doggone 1911 article. The 1911 thing has been talked to death. I mean with all the new guns in the world what is it the point of beating that dead horse anymore. A 1911 is a great gun, been around a long time, works well, hits like a truck, grip angel. Bla bla blaÖ. So am I alone in this? Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

2. Remove Ads

I'm a little tired of the articles. I'll never get sick of the gun.
    - Kurt
    ďFreedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.Ē ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

The GUN is great..........I love it. I just feel like i'm in 1911 overload sometimes.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

Quote Originally Posted by 2gunken View Post
    This is going to upset a bunch of the diehard 1911 folk’s and I’m sorry about that. That is not my intent but I’m sick of 1911 articles. You can’t pick up a gun magazine without a doggone 1911 article. The 1911 thing has been talked to death. I mean with all the new guns in the world what is it the point of beating that dead horse anymore. A 1911 is a great gun, been around a long time, works well, hits like a truck, grip angel. Bla bla bla…. So am I alone in this? Am I the only one that’s sick of 1911’s
    Ive had several 1911 over the years and have never found them to be very reliable. But appearently some out there love them and love to read about them. Different strokes for different folks is what I say. When I see a 1911 article in a mag I usually just skip past it and find something else interesting to read.
    God & Guns!

Can't we all just get along??
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I agree...you hardly ever see an article featured about a Glock or "regular" defense guns.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    While I am a fan of the 1911, I don't usually read the articles as they offer little to nothing new.

My own experience with 1911s for over half a century is that nothing handles so well. However, I have never had a factory gun that I did not have to return to the factory at least once for reliability issues, and a couple I gave up on the factory (Kimber) and had a gunsmith do the reliability work. That is just too much trouble when Glocks have never given me an instant of trouble.

I think 1911s are too expensive, heavy ( I do carry my SA LW Compact at times), too finicky as to ammunition and magazines, and require too much fine tuning for reliability. I currently have 6 in my safe including a GI that I bought through the DCM in 1960.

If I were new to guns, I would go for Glocks, and Kahrs, or Sigs.
    My personal favorite carry gun now is a Kahr P9 in a Brommeland Def-Con.

Regards,
    Jerry

I started off with a Glock and never thought of owning a 1911. I have always thought of a firearm as a tool. And as such has to work whenever I need it to work, therefore...Glock. I don't care how it looks, if it has ivory handles, shines so bright in the sun it could blind somebody. It just has to go bang when I pull the trigger....Glock.
    As for the popularity of the 1911? It is overdone but I don't think things are going to change anytime soon. Alot of the ones in the limelight are more pieces of art than a tool. That's why I won't own one. I'm not an art collector, I'm a tool guy.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

VIP Member
    I don't like 1911s at all, too many people talking about what they have had to do to them to get them to be accurate, reliable, etc. I want a gun that's great without fixing it, sending it in or to the gunsmith. I love my Sigs, I know they too make 1911s and have heard better things about theirs, but I don't like the bever tail, the grip safety, or the grip angle, so I won't be buying a 1911 any time soon, (or ever)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Well on the flip side I like reading the articles, for me the more the merrier. Course I just got my first 1911 a couple weeks ago and have alot to learn about them. I do remember the one in the USMC I used was reliable and the one I just bought hasn't missed a beat either.
    Have a Glock 26 also, and now do not the saying I heard that either you love the Glock or hate it. As I am on the fence trying to decide if I like the trigger. As mine doesn't have a crisp break to it. And the lack of a manual saftery also has me on the fence with the Glock. I will probably learn to like it , but I already love the 1911.

I haven't seen a preponderance of articles about the 1911. Then, again, I don't go looking for them.
    I own a PT1911 and also see it as a tool. It's not a BBQ gun by any means. What it is, is reliable and it fits me. It is part of my EDC and splits duty with my PT24/7 Pro DS. Even though the PT24/7 is lighter, I just like carrying the PT1911 better.
    Sure, there are some really nice 1911s out there, but there are just as many if not more nice guns of other styles. I appreciate just about any gun style, as each have their own beauty. There is even a type of ugly-beauty in a Hi-Point.
    I think we are at a point in our country/culture where we need to focus more on the appreciation of the right to have any of these guns at all. Gun snobbery has become a luxury which we cannot afford today if we expect to survive this period.

Quote Originally Posted by 2gunken View Post
    This is going to upset a bunch of the diehard 1911 folkís and Iím sorry about that. That is not my intent but Iím sick of 1911 articles. You canít pick up a gun magazine without a doggone 1911 article. The 1911 thing has been talked to death. I mean with all the new guns in the world what is it the point of beating that dead horse anymore. A 1911 is a great gun, been around a long time, works well, hits like a truck, grip angel. Bla bla blaÖ. So am I alone in this? Am I the only one thatís sick of 1911ís
    Yes! You're the only one...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    +1
    I did't even know there was another reliable platform
    كافر

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I guess I see your point but 1911's are not only classics but have a lot of history and a die hard following in this country so many people including myself love them. As far as I am concerned there is not a lot about the platform I have left to learn about so if I not interested I just skip the article.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    +2
    You should seek professional help for this problem
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links