Ding on primer when racking slide, dangerous?

This is a discussion on Ding on primer when racking slide, dangerous? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I rack the slide to clear the chamber when I put the gun away I think I am getting a DING RIGHT IN THE ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ding on primer when racking slide, dangerous?

Question Ding on primer when racking slide, dangerous?

When I rack the slide to clear the chamber when I put the gun away I think I am getting a DING RIGHT IN THE CENTER OF THE PRIMER!!

It is a new Kimber 1911 TLE II. When I clear out the chambered round quickly I am now finding dings right in the center of the primer.

If I rack it very slowly it is perfectly fine.

Input Appreciated and fast!

2. Remove Ads

That's odd. Does it do that when the hammer is cocked, or only when the hammer is down?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I've never put the hammer down on it yet with a round in the chamber. It is a home defense gun kept it a drawer and when it goes to sleep for the day I pull the mag and then rack the slide to empty it.
    I started to notice as I was relaoding the other day that alot of my rounds had big ole dings right in the primer. So I then racked a few more and sure enough dings. Then I racked one ever so slowly so it just falls out and no ding.

I am not familiar with letting the hammer down on a live round yet.
    I would have to try that at the range where it is safer.

Any thoughts now?

I was fishing for an easy solution. If the hammer is down and your rack the slide it does cause the hammer to contact the firing pin. I suppose if you viciously racked that slide you could dimple the primer in doing so.

Since that is not the case, I do not have the answer for you. Sorry.

I can speculate that your firing pin spring is weak, broken or missing. But that is pure speculation as I have never had this issue before.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    I'm not a smith, but it doesn't sound good!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'm not a smith, but it doesn't sound good!
    Agreed. It is pretty much brand new so I might need to take it to the store and have them confirm wether I have a real issue or not.

It sure looks real... reall scary to see dings in the primers.

That doesn't seem right. Kimbers Follow the series 80 design and the firing pin should be blocked until the trigger is pulled. I would send it back to kimber.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Yeah. You're ejecting a live round. The primer is hitting something hard enough to ding it. Not good.

I would call Kimber and talk to them, there is no way this is safe. They will probably have you send it in. When I had a problem with a Kimber last year (failure to feed and eject) they had it back to me in a week and sent me a few magazines and a bunch of springs for my trouble.

I wonder if I should go to the store where I bought it first, before I send it back to Kimber. They might send it for me and have a little more clout with the company.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    That doesn't seem right. Kimbers Follow the series 80 design and the firing pin should be blocked until the trigger is pulled. I would send it back to kimber.
    I thought they used the Swartz safety system (firing pin is blocked by the grip safety, not the trigger).

I had a ND with a RIA 1911 whwn it dropped 3 ft on it's muzzle,if your getting firing pun impressions due to the slide racking I would suggest you replace it with a heavier firing pin spring.after further review I think it's suppose to have a firing pin block safety,but if it's used somebody may have removed it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I had a ND with a RIA 1911 whwn it dropped 3 ft on it's muzzle,if your getting firing pun impressions due to the slide racking I would suggest you replace it with a heavier firing pin spring.after further review I think it's suppose to have a firing pin block safety,but if it's used somebody may have removed it
    Its new out of the box.
    It has a grip safety.

Another thing... If I rack the slide quickly and there is no mag in, it is seems to fail to eject proplerly.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I thought they used the Swartz safety system (firing pin is blocked by the grip safety, not the trigger).
    Did a little research and I guess you are right. I guess that made that change on their series II pistols. I would still suggest having it looked at by Kimber as the firing pin should not be contacting the primers until you pull the trigger.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Here you go. According to the manual, it uses the Swartz style safety (grip safety). They call it a series II on page 14.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/downloa...Fullsize45.pdf

ETA: And I'll echo the others, get Kimber to take care of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links