S&W Mod. 40 Centennial

S&W Mod. 40 Centennial

This is a discussion on S&W Mod. 40 Centennial within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What can you guys tell me about these? I didn't realize that they were back in production! I've always been fascinated by the "lemon-squeezer" grip ...

Thread: S&W Mod. 40 Centennial

S&W Mod. 40 Centennial

What can you guys tell me about these? I didn't realize that they were back in production! I've always been fascinated by the "lemon-squeezer" grip safety, and I am currently in the market for a snubbie...

Does anyone have any experience w/ these? The idea of a grip safety on a gun destined for pocket carry (my preferred BUG method of carry) is quite appealing to me, but I have never fired a model 40, and am curious if there are any issues w/ difficulty in depressing the grip safety, etc...

Also, do the current-production ones have the lock on them?

Note: I am not really looking for opinions about the -necessity- of such a grip safety on a DAO revolver; Rather, I am looking for people's shooting/carrying experiences and/or impressions on this model.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Bones
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

1943 - 2009
    I have no experience with the re-introduced Model 40 (steel frame) or the Model 42 (alloy frame) but I owned and carried an original Model 42 way back when (1970s). Both were discontinued in 1974.

The new Models 40 and 42 do not have the internal lock.

If the grip safety is not to your liking, a gunsmith can disable it in 5 minutes.

I think the new Model 42 is the perfect pocket revolver. The steel frame Model 40 might be a tad heavy for pocket carry.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I have no experience with the re-introduced Model 40 (steel frame) or the Model 42 (alloy frame) but I owned and carried an original Model 42 way back when (1970s). Both were discontinued in 1974.

The new Models 40 and 42 do not have the internal lock.

If the grip safety is not to your liking, a gunsmith can disable it in 5 minutes.

I think the new Model 42 is the perfect pocket revolver. The steel frame Model 40 might be a tad heavy for pocket carry.
    First off: Thank you very much for the reply...

I'm sorry; I was referring to difficulty in defeating the grip safety (resulting in difficulty getting the pistol to fire if needed) by taking a firing grip on the pistol (as opposed to deactivating it by pinning it down, etc.)

Also, did they re-introduce the 42? I cannot find any indication of the 42 being brought back; Only the 40...

And no lock = surprising and good news!

Many thanks again. This particular revolver is my latest obsession... lol...

Regards,

Bones
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

1943 - 2009
    Also, did they re-introduce the 42? I cannot find any indication of the 42 being brought back; Only the 40...
    Here ya go...

Product: Model 42 - S&W Classics - Aluminum Frame

I never had any problems with deactivating the grip safety with a normal firing grip.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Excellent!

Thanks a million... I appreciate the link and the information...

I wouldn't think that the grip safety would pose any real functional problem, but I was just trying to figure out why S&W would discontinue such a cool design? Oh well, I guess it just wasn't a top-seller in its day (???)

Thanks again...

Regards,

Bones

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    I wouldn't think that the grip safety would pose any real functional problem...

Regards,

Bones
    Everyone's hands are different. For me, with the stock grips, it was difficult to disengage the safety. For someone with large hands or long fingers, the grip is too small, and the safety gets lost in the webbing of the thumb. It would probably function better for me if it had thicker aftermarket boot grips. I may get one, but if I do, it will receive new grips.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwguy View Post
    Everyone's hands are different. For me, with the stock grips, it was difficult to disengage the safety. For someone with large hands or long fingers, the grip is too small, and the safety gets lost in the webbing of the thumb. It would probably function better for me if it had thicker aftermarket boot grips. I may get one, but if I do, it will receive new grips.
    I was thinking the exact same thing - As soon as I get the Model 42, I'm going to get some shorter boot grips w/ more "meat" under the triggerguard area - Maybe from Spegel, or something comparable... Just to shift the leverage of my grip such that depressing the safety is easier. I think that would definitely remedy this issue. I do not have particularly big hands, but about average, I'd say.

Thanks for the input!

Regards,

Bones

I have and pocket carry an original model 42 (alloy version) of the model 40 centennial,this is a great gun. I also noticed comparing mine to a new production one the grip safety on mine is much easier to engage. Thats not to say that the new one won't break in with use however. I've been considering one of the new model 40 guns myself they are very handsome and well done.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better defensive gun then one of these.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing - As soon as I get the Model 42, I'm going to get some shorter boot grips w/ more "meat" under the triggerguard area - Maybe from Spegel, or something comparable... Just to shift the leverage of my grip such that depressing the safety is easier. I think that would definitely remedy this issue. I do not have particularly big hands, but about average, I'd say.

Thanks for the input!

Regards,

Bones
    Might I suggest the Tyler T-Grip?

Tyler Manufacturing and Distribution Company, Inc

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Sponsored Links