question about SA mags

question about SA mags

This is a discussion on question about SA mags within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well i guess this is a question about magazines in general....so after getting my SA milspec this christmas i used the loaded coupon to order ...

question about SA mags

well i guess this is a question about magazines in general....so after getting my SA milspec this christmas i used the loaded coupon to order 5 extra SA seven rounders, after about 4 weeks they came in and i got to give them a run through. all was good when i started( i used the mag that came with the gun) then as soon as i popped in the first new mag i had a jam. this was just racking the slide. i manually removed the jammed bullet and tried again to the same result. so i just grabbed another mag and it worked fine. i then noticed that the "bad" mag had an extra hole in the side( the bullet count holes). now i don't know much of anything about taking apart mags so i have no clue what is going on but i will be sending it back for a new one.

so does anyone have any idea as to what happened? it is definetely a seven round mag but with an extra hole....maybe its just a bad egg in the bunch?
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

Assistant Administrator
    Could that one have been an 8 rounder that got in by mistake! I know you say it's a seven.

Some folks say that 8's (well some) do not feed reliably.

If a 7 then an oddity!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I had the jamming problem with colt mags, when fully loaded the top lips would spread apart (out of specs) was told by my gunsmith "you get what you pay for" (got from online auction) so, I trashed them and got wilson mags and haven't had a problem.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

No telling on that mag ive had good luck with springfield mags could just be ya got that one lemon that happens every now and then

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick
    I had the jamming problem with colt mags, when fully loaded the top lips would spread apart (out of specs) was told by my gunsmith "you get what you pay for" (got from online auction) so, I trashed them and got wilson mags and haven't had a problem.
    Were they in Colt packaging? If not, I'd bet money they're counterfeit. Colt gets their magazines from the same vendors Wilson, McCormick, Springfield, etc., gets theirs.

M = Metalform - https://www.metalformmagazines.com/style.asp
    C = Checkmate - http://www.checkmateindustries.com/dynamic/p_arms.htm
    O = OK Industries
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Could that one have been an 8 rounder that got in by mistake! I know you say it's a seven.

Some folks say that 8's (well some) do not feed reliably.

If a 7 then an oddity!
    well i checked it and there is no possible way( and i tried hard, unless i am just that weak ) to get another round in it.

and as far as it not working because it was fully loaded, i had the first malfunction, dropped the mag, removed the jammed cartridge, and reinserted the mag(now with 6 rounds) and it did it again, so i guess its just a fluke. oh well the lady at SA said they would be glad to replace it.

that makes me feel good about my choice to buy a SA, their customer service reps are really nice and eager to help.

i am just glad it wasn't the gun. i have about 600-800 rounds through it with no malfunction(on the guns part that is).
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

Lead Moderator
    Hmm, my SA mags seem to work the best. Even the Colt mags I picked up seem to fail sometimes.

Links