Question on the S&W 649

This is a discussion on Question on the S&W 649 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying the 638 and decided that I like the shrouded hammer. Wondering if any of you have 649's and how you feel about ...

Thread: Question on the S&W 649

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

Question on the S&W 649

I've been carrying the 638 and decided that I like the shrouded hammer. Wondering if any of you have 649's and how you feel about them. Longer grip than the 638 but I'm sure that's req'd for the 357. 1/2 # heavier as well. Anybody out there that can comment? Too much bang for the size? Model 60 w/a bobbed hammer a better route? etc. Thanks for your input.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

I have a 640 and a 442 and have shot the 649. All about the same. If you have been carrying the 638 shouldn't be a big change. That 357 would be nice! Good luck. Lets see it when you get it.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

You didn't find the 649 too many horses for a J frame?
    Savage Heartland

It’s kind of like catching a baseball bare handed! LOL A 357Mag is too much for me in that size gun but that’s just me. I love a 38. That gun is a bit bigger but not much. I like the concealability of the smaller ones. You would have a hard time getting it into your pocket.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have an old school 649 that is dimensionally the same as your 638. The only difference is the weight. The only difference in the 649 in .357 and 649 in .38 spl is a slightly longer barrel and frame. The grip frame should be the same as all other "J" frames. There is the weight difference that comes with an all stainless gun. Have you fired one in .357? The felt recoil, IMHO, is a bit spirited. For me, it slows down the follow up shots. I stick with the .38 only guns. They're smaller, easier to conceal and provide enough power for their role.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

2gun and knuckle....thanx for the input. I haven't shot the 649 but I've shot a J in 357. A friend has a Mod 60 Pro w/a 3" barrel. Wood grips (which she won't change). It's managable. I'm 5'7" / 170 so that's not the definition of a beast. But "spirited" is right. I wouldn't call it a fun range gun by any means. Aside from the kick, I do worry about the 357 because I know how far it carries through houses, etc. It's a caliber to be thoughtful with, though that's true of all of them. If I land one I'll do you guys pics.
    Savage Heartland

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Glad to have been helpful. FYI, The over penetration of .357 from a short bbl should not be much of a problem. The velocities are greatly reduced from bbls less than 4 inches. That is one of the reasons I stick with .38. The increase in blast and recoil with the increase in shot to shot times for the .357 does not justify the slight increase in power for me.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I guess I'm gonna go do my homework on 38 vs 357. I'm an old school 357 guy (Dan Wesson) and we all know what they'll do. That said, I haven't played w/the ballistics on the ammo available these days. I've stuck w/what I know about both based on personal history. But I can definitely appreciate your feelings on the bang factor of that caliber in that sized gun. I guess that's what made me ask....
    Savage Heartland

Links