Questions from a new shooter.

This is a discussion on Questions from a new shooter. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, Found this message board while looking into my search for a new(and first ever) pistol. I started looking at Sig Sauer, mostly the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello everyone,

Found this message board while looking into my search for a new(and first ever) pistol.

I started looking at Sig Sauer, mostly the p226 series. Then started looking into Kimber after a good friend suggested them to me.

I read up and down the Kimber book. I decided on the Custom CDP II is what I wanted to get in the Kimber line.

I have spent around 2 weeks online looking for everything to read about these guns(but more so the Kimber) and just wanted to make sure that for my hard earned money that the CDP II is the way to go.

I'm dealing with a somewhat local(around an 50-60 minute drive) dealer, and it will take 60-90 days to get the Kimber in stock. Everywhere I've checked around me as far as Kimber goes, that everything is 90-120 days out until they can get it from the factory.

BTW I'm from central Iowa. Thanks for the help, and look forward to some good knowledge.

How about making a purchase via GunBroker.com? If the seller is a known FFL shop and has a long-standing great rating, you can be pretty assured of (a) having a good transaction and (b) getting the gun sooner than 90 days.

Here's an active auction, from an individual: Kimber CDP II Pro, $1250 .

Here's an active auction, from a shop: Kimber CDP II Pro, $1209 .

I've done several purchases and sales through GunBroker and have yet to have problems. YMMV.

The CDP is pretty nice. I don't blame you for selecting that model. But if you root around the Kimber web site, you'll find a number of variations on the .45ACP 1911 that might grab you. (Or, even a few of the older models, ie the Shadow.) If you widen your search a bit, you might well find something in stock in a shop.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't have any experience with Kimber, but all I've read and heard has been positive. I'm sure some of the other members will get you some valuable info.

Welcome to the forum!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

For the price of that Kimber, you could get a Dan Wesson CBOB and still have enough to buy some ammo. You'd have (at least IMHO) a better constructed pistol in your holster when it's all said and done, too. IF you're set on an aluminum frame, then that's another story.

Again, JMHO, YMMV, etc.

Jason

For what purpose are you getting this gun? If it's for home protection & general target shooting the 226 is great. The kimber would make a better serious target gun, but may not be as reliable.

I'll take that back . I didn't realize the Kimber was the enhanced carry model. I would still prefer the Sig.

My main purpose of this gun would be self defense/home protection

For the Kimber brand I had it narrowed down to the Custom CDP II, Stainless Raptor, and the Custom Crimson Carry II.

The Raptor was just outta my price range. Even though I like all the details on it.

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

If you buy a 1911 Kimber make sure you are willing to put the effort into breaking it in. Usually 500 rounds will do the trick (so I hear?) I am still breaking in my Springfield 1911 and I have 300 through the pipe and it still has some issues..

The 226 would need very little break in time at the range...

For home defense why not just buy a 12 gauge? No break in period and you should be able to hit something with it.

Either of those two weapons are excellent and you would never be sorry you purchased quaity. With that said I am a SA fan and IMHO you would never go wrong with a Kimber. It would be a great home defense, a fantastic CCW, and will last several lifetimes. If you don't have time to break it in I can help with that too, send it to me with about 1000 rounds and I will handle that for you. Good luck on your quest.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

The Kimber is a fine pistol. I don't believe, however, that a 1911 is really the best way to go for someone new to guns. Some, not all, 1911s require some tweaking to make them reliable. For my first defensive hangun I would look for one with a reputaion for reliability out of the box. For metal framed guns the Sig line can't be beat.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Sigpack brings up some good points. I am a 1911 fan and have been for over 30 yrs. The 1911 platform is a very dependable weapon and has been used since basically, 1910. True, it will need to be broken-in and this takes dedication to the firearm. Too many new 1911 owners fire a hundred rounds or so and then call it "good enough" for carry. This is the farthest from the truth. Most will need several hundred rounds to prove its reliability. A 1911 can be tweaked by those who are knowledgeable but finding those smith's isnt as easy.

Keep your research open and listen to what others can advise. The best way to become familiar with a new firearm is to read the manual and then shoot it. May I suggest finding somebody who already owns one, ask to shoot it or go to an indoor range and rent the gun prior to purchase. I think you'll be amazed at what you can learn just from firing a few range pistols.

Either way, good luck in your decision and welcome to the forums.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I have two CDP's...an Ultra my EDC, and a Custom that sits in my nightstand...

Both are fine weapons. I have carried my Ultra for several years with out any problems...it always go bang.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Both the Sig and Kimber are fine pistols. I own a P226 Sig and 2 Kimbers (CDPII Ultra 3" - CDP II Custom 5"). I don't like to walk around all day with the Sig or the Kimber 5" on my hip. The 3" is a good carry gun and they make a 4" (Pro). I have to say it.... don't forget about a Glock.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    bonde111,

I see your location is listed as the Midwest.

I split my time between southern IN (Evansville) and College Station / Bryan TX.

If either of those are convenient for you, let me know, and I can put a Kimber and a Sig both in your hangs.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Thanks everyone for the replies. I wish I had more money to spend on a couple 2-3 guns, ha. I would def want to go with a Sig and probably a Springfield XDM as my next purchases.

*Firefighter4884* Sorry, I'm kinda west of you(Iowa) but thanks for the offer.

I went out today and shot with my father in law. It was a good time. Shot some .38's and the went with some .357's, and there's def a big difference between the two. He had a Taurus .357 snub, and I can't remember what the other brand was, a revolver.

Can't wait now until that Custom CDP II comes in.

VIP Member
    I'd recommend getting something better " out of the box " for a brand new shooter. IMO a 1911 is NOT a good gun for a beginning shooter. Sig makes a super high quality firearm, that needs no "tweeking". I think you would have a better experience with the P226.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links