Would Like To Trade My S&W Airweight 38 For More Capacity

This is a discussion on Would Like To Trade My S&W Airweight 38 For More Capacity within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd keep the airweight and get a G26 or G19. There will be times when you want that small airweight to carry off duty....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would Like To Trade My S&W Airweight 38 For More Capacity

VIP Member
    I'd keep the airweight and get a G26 or G19. There will be times when you want that small airweight to carry off duty.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Kepty my .38 and bought an M&P 9mm. I was very happy with the decision.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by acroreef View Post
    How do you folks feel about the Walther PPS 9mm re reliability, carry weight, capacity (8+1) etc??
    I have had mine for 6 - 7 months. It has about 3000 mixed rounds thru it without any issues or failures. It is flat and shoots "soft". You can carry it with a 6, 7 or 8 round mag + 1 in the chamber. I carry it as my main backup (along with a P3AT) in my front left pocket, IWB or in my jacket pocket. It is much easier to conceal that my g26 and G27 plus it holds more that my J-frames (which I carried for years before the PPS). I still carry a S&W342PD on occassion. Nothing beats a J-fame (maybe a PPS).
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Let's narrow it right down...the Glock-26!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    A lot of good ideas but "how much more capacity" are you looking for? If this is a dedicated bug, I'd recommend you at least consider a Kahr PM9.

Ive got both, the mp compact is a great weapon, and I just could not give up the scandium 38 I have..and its always a tuff choice as to which will be carried. Sooo.. keep the 38 and get the MP compact. No sellers remorse and you will love the mp compact.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Walther PPS in 9mm. I love mine and switch between that and a P2000.

jim
    I carry an MP9c and like it...haven't had any problems with it. Smith is giving away two magazine with any M&P through April 30.

Load-Up Offer - Smith & Wesson

If you can get an LEO discount plus the free mags, it might be worthwhile buying an M&P and then selling the Airweight later, if you decide to.

I love my M&P9c...no issues at all and I carry it everywhere with just a normal sized polo shirt.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Your first inclination was correct. Go with the S&W M&P 9c.

The M&P has won more than 370 "Issued Sidearm" LE agency contracts since it was introduced in 2006. That is more NEW contracts than any other firearm brand in the same period of time. Most of those contracts have come at the expense of Glock and Sig Sauer.

With the M&P you will be buying a 100% American made firearm with a lifetime warranty. You win and the country wins... How cool is that?
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by acroreef View Post
    How do you folks feel about the Walther PPS 9mm re reliability, carry weight, capacity (8+1) etc??

The PPS and the G26 are about the same weight, one is 8+1 the other is 10+1. Are you trying to go cheap, because ya get what ya pay for?
    I would look into a XD, S&W, Glock, etc before I would rely on a Walther, but that is just my opinion.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    i would look at a SW or Glock
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

If reliability is the key issue, then keep the S&W. You will get 5 totally reliable shots off without any concern about what stance you are taking or whether you are shooting left handed, right handed or one handed during a totally adrenaline packed altercation with a BG. No chance for FTF's or FTE's, limp wristing, etc. This will be nothing like what you practiced at the range.

A recent poll on this forum showed that for non LEO's that have had to draw their gun 94% did not even fire a shot to resolve the situation. 3% fired one or two rounds and the other 3% fired more than 2 rounds.

So for that rare time in your life where you have to draw your weapon in less than ideal conditions, do you feel more comfortable with the 3% chance you wil need more than 5 rounds or the unknown that your gun won't jam (ftf, fte).

Quote Originally Posted by gwlammers View Post
    If reliability is the key issue, then keep the S&W. You will get 5 totally reliable shots off without any concern about what stance you are taking or whether you are shooting left handed, right handed or one handed during a totally adrenaline packed altercation with a BG. No chance for FTF's or FTE's, limp wristing, etc. This will be nothing like what you practiced at the range.

A recent poll on this forum showed that for non LEO's that have had to draw their gun 94% did not even fire a shot to resolve the situation. 3% fired one or two rounds and the other 3% fired more than 2 rounds.

So for that rare time in your life where you have to draw your weapon in less than ideal conditions, do you feel more comfortable with the 3% chance you wil need more than 5 rounds or the unknown that your gun won't jam (ftf, fte).
    That is very true. The statistics may be different for LEOs and in that instance I would recommend the Glock 26 that can also take the larger capacity magazines of the 17 and 19 models. One of these as a spare and you will be well prepared for anything.
    God bless our troops!

Another vote for the Glock 26. I used to carry an S&W model 36 but I also wanted more rounds. I carry my 26 and 1 spare mag. I carry it many ways, IWB, OWB, pocket, and Smartcarry. It's so easy to conceal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links