Sig 239 40 cal or XD 45

Sig 239 40 cal or XD 45

This is a discussion on Sig 239 40 cal or XD 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah, I know that I'm comparing apples and oranges, but here is my question. I am selling my Taurus 1911. I'm going to replace it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 239 40 cal or XD 45

Sig 239 40 cal or XD 45

Yeah, I know that I'm comparing apples and oranges, but here is my question.

I am selling my Taurus 1911. I'm going to replace it with either a PD trade in Sig 239, nite sites and 3 mags or a new XD 45, plane sites and 2 mags.

Both fit my hand, both pull up and on target without adjusting. Both feel good in my hand.

The 2 differences are, obviously one is 40 cal and one is 45. I've carried a 40 cal in the past on duty. I always carried 180 gr Hydra-shoks. Ballistically they are not that much different. The other big difference is the price. I can get the Sig for $450 the XD comes in at $560.

I really like both guns, but mommy says that I can't spend that much.

Any ideas???

Thanks
    Jeff
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If guns cause crime, then pens cause illiteracy

Rock Island Armory 1911 compact tactical, Ruger GP 100, Glock 27

If it were me... I'd go with the Sig by brand reputation and performance alone. Besides that fact, the Sig 239 would be a lot more comfortable to conceal than the bulky XD 45 if that's a consideration. With that said, I may be a little biased because my next gun purchase will hopefully be a CPO 239 9mm.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I love my Sig P239/40cal. The XD/XDM guns are fine guns, at least those I have handled, but I much prefer the solid Sig feel. And, as for the "round count" argument...if 7+1 isn't enough for SD, you need more than a handgun anyway.

surv
    Last edited by mr surveyor; March 14th, 2009 at 06:16 PM.

I had a Sig P239 that I let slip away in a trade. Big mistake! I really miss that pistol as it was very accurate and easy to carry as well as it was reliable to a fault.

Don't get me wrong XD pistols are good too, I just like a Sig better.
    God bless our troops!

Lead Moderator
    Might be bias, but the answer is SIG!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have to go the other way. The XD 45 is a wonderful pistol. I love mine. Never a hicup
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

SIG
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I,ve got a 239 also, fine gun.

I had a customer service experience with Sigsauer on a 226 CPO
    and can tell you that I'm a Sig man all the way....

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    SIG
    1 +

Sig line says it all......
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by huntermedic View Post
    Yeah, I know that I'm comparing apples and oranges, but here is my question.

I am selling my Taurus 1911. I'm going to replace it with either a PD trade in Sig 239, nite sites and 3 mags or a new XD 45, plane sites and 2 mags.

Both fit my hand, both pull up and on target without adjusting. Both feel good in my hand.

The 2 differences are, obviously one is 40 cal and one is 45. I've carried a 40 cal in the past on duty. I always carried 180 gr Hydra-shoks. Ballistically they are not that much different. The other big difference is the price. I can get the Sig for $450 the XD comes in at $560.

I really like both guns, but mommy says that I can't spend that much.

Any ideas???

Thanks
    Jeff
    You can get a 239 for $450?> Wow , got for it!

Id go with the SIG. Its nothing against the XD as I am a big fan I really like my friends XD .45. But at the price you can get the 239 for Id go with that. It is easier to conceal, assuming the XD is a full size. Also the nite sights give the sig the advantage in this case. I have a 239 in 9mm and absolutely love it! Im looking for a 220, now that I had to cancel my order for one. Mine cost $700 with tax, and to me it was a price well worth paying! Either way you cant go wrong... But id still say Sig.

Did I mention go with the Sig?
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bprepared View Post
    You can get a 239 for $450?> Wow , got for it!
    Mine cost me $750 2years ago with tritium sights. $450 is a damn good deal, that what I would expect a USED SIG to cost (many cost $100 more too).
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

VIP Member
    The Sig can't be beat. Everything else is a second class weapon. (And XDs are 3rd or 4th class) JMO
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

German or Croatian?

In choosing between a German product and a Croatian product, I've always gone with the German.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Both are finew weapons and I would take either one. However I am biased towards the Sig. Carried by lots of police departments. I havent heard of any PD issuing XDs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links