New XDM slide question

This is a discussion on New XDM slide question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got an XDM 9mm today. I shot 2 mags through it and it fired fine but both times the slide did'nt lock open on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New XDM slide question

VIP Member

New XDM slide question

Just got an XDM 9mm today. I shot 2 mags through it and it fired fine but both times the slide did'nt lock open on the last round. Anyone seen this before?
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

2. Remove Ads

If you've got a new gun and slide doesn't lock back on the last round, the first question should always be, "Where is my thumb in relation to the slide lock?"

VIP Member
    Thats my thought after thinking about it. I can put both mags in (empty) and pull it back and it will stay open. I have 2 other XD's and this never happened. May need to put the smaller back strap on the grip.

Congrats on the new XDM 9mm! I've only had mine for about a month -- I've put about 300 rounds through it and the slide always locks open when last round in the mag fires. Are you 100% sure your thumb isn't in contact with the slide lock?
    Sig .40 P229 DAK
    XDM 9mm
    CrossBreed SuperTuck

Administrator
    If your recoil spring is "brand spanky new" and that spring is slightly too strong for the ammo that you are shooting then that is what is going on with your gun.

During the firing sequence your slide is moving to the rear enough to eject the spent cartridge case and feed a new round but, just not fully enough to allow the slide to lock to the rear.

Try storing your firearm with the slide locked to the rear for a couple of days.

Either that or switch to hotter ammo.

This is a very common problem with the M model (especially if you are a 1911 shooter). Your thumb is making contact withthe slide lock. Very doubtful that it is ammo or spring related on this particular pistol.

ranburr

It's your slide lock. I have an XDm .40 and had the oposite problem as you. I would fire a round and because of my thumb, the slide would lock open on the first shot...then again on the second and third. I was getting worried until I noticed my stupid thumb,

Its a spring thing. I started out having that issue - its not a problem really. But after about 2,000 rounds its gone.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

VIP Member
    Wow 2 very strong opinions. Its the spring and its my thumb.
    Should be easy enough to settle. I'll try watching where my thumb is and see how it shoots. Then if that is'nt it, I'll leave the slide locked open a few days. Atleast the gun is firing flawlessly and I really do like the gun.

Administrator
    The first thing that I would do is simply try a different brand of ammo.

Something a bit hotter than what you are running through it now.

That's always a good and very easy first step toward solving any possible semi-auto function related problem.

A gun manufacturer never knows (in advance) what particular ammo brand the buyer will be shooting out of any firearm.

They don't know if you will be shooting standard pressure ammo, +P, or +P+...so really all they can do is select a general factory spring weight that will cover most commercially available popular/ammo but, (of course~common sense) staying toward a stiffer spring weight rather than a weaker one.

Couple that with the fact that most factory fresh recoil springs are stiffer when brand new and you sometimes end up with an initial shooting situation where a certain ammo brand will just not generate quite enough slide energy to insure flawless functioning.

VIP Member
    Similar problem. I run a 1911 for competition and this always happens when I shoot a friends handloads. My spring is set for hotter rounds. I just don't shoot his stuff during competition, it works good enough for me to use it at the range.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I spend a lot of time on XD Talk and this comes up a lot. Almost every time it turns out to be the thumb issue.

what type of ammo were you shooting? If it was Remington Inc 115 gr there's your answer. I had the same issue with a few guns & that particular ammo.

It's the thumb position... I'm almost 100% sure of that... I just bought a Springfield XDm9 a couple months ago and the same thing happen to me... after a couple magazines I put another in and made an effort to see where my thumb was... my thumb must ride a little high when I handle my Glocks, but not high enough to cause any problems with them... after I repositioned my hand the next 10 or so magazines worked just fine... not one issue since.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

=kentuckycarry;1065792]Just got an XDM 9mm today. I shot 2 mags through it and it fired fine but both times the slide did'nt lock open on the last round. Anyone seen this before?
    If you haven't already done so visit the XDTalk board:

XDTalk Forums - Your HS2000/SA-XD Information Source! - Powered by vBulletin
    Last edited by john5; March 16th, 2009 at 03:54 AM.
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links