Taurus Revolvers How Good Are They? - Page 2

Taurus Revolvers How Good Are They?

This is a discussion on Taurus Revolvers How Good Are They? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had the choice of a Tauraus 850 cia or new S&W airweight. I chose the Taurus and it is now my EDC. No problems ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Revolvers How Good Are They?

I had the choice of a Tauraus 850 cia or new S&W airweight. I chose the Taurus and it is now my EDC. No problems with it and I shoot it better than the Smith which is why I chose it.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    If you look at price, Taurus
    If you look at resale value, S&W

VIP Member
    I have two Taurus revos. One has been my EDC for 7 years. I did just buy a pimped out 1911 for winter carry, but I will still carry my revo allot in the summer. The other Taurus I've had for over 15 years with no problems. I say go for it!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I carry a Taurus 85ti with the ported barrel. Have had it for years (bought it when they first came out with titanium frames) and fired many many rounds through it. It is a nice light accurate piece.

Back when I bought it, it cost $325 and a comparable Smith was over $500. Now the prices of the two are much closer. Smith has come down and Taurus has gone up. Today, I would spend the extra 80 or 100 bucks and get the Smith, becuase it holds resale value better. Of coure I don't plan to resell mine so no worries here.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member
    S&W. Just do it. I have twoTaurus Judges cause they're the only ones making that type of gun; no problems. But the Smith is money in the bank from a dependability perspective and the premium you pay isn't that much. If nothing else, a Smith is made here in the States vs. Brazil. Buy American. And shipping for repairs to Taurus.....hmmm. Don't know if it goes all the way home or repairs are here in the US.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I have a Taurus 85ULBH that has over 1000 rounds through it and it is still plugging along. I also own 4 S&W J-frames, a K-frame and a 686, but I don't feel any less safe on the days that I carry the Taurus. The answer: it is a very good gun!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I've used a Taurus Ultra-Lite .38 as my main pocket carry gun for several years now. I've put a lot of rounds through it, and it's never had any problems.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

I have the PT138. It's a fun gun to shoot. I haven't had any trouble with it. i don't use it as a carry gun.
    Luck is not a feeling it's a way of life

ive had several over the years and for the most part they have been great. i currently have 2, one is a model 85 ultralite and the other is a model 94 with 4" barrel. i like them both just fine and they both work just fine.
    God & Guns!

My analogy is,

"you can buy a Chevy Vega (Taurus) and hope you get a good one out of the bunch or you can buy a Chevy Corvette (Smith and Wesson) and hope you don't get a bad one out of the bunch."

The only thing that I don't like about the Taurus is that darn key lock.
    I have seen 2 of them in which apparently the recoil turned the "lock" enough to turn them into a paperweight. Both of the owners had to end their range session until they got home to get the key to unlock their firearms. I'm glad, for their sake, that they were at the range instead of self defense situation.

I have to carry a key to my front door, don't want a key to my gun on my key ring.
    NRA life member.

That is the first I have heard of that happening with Taurus. I know it happens with the IL equipped S&W's from time to time because I've experienced it myself.

So the question becomes: Since the Taurus lock is on the hammer, is it possible to get rid of by replacing the hammer with a lockless hammer, and if so, are lockless hammers available?
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota97 View Post
    I have seen 2 of them in which apparently the recoil turned the "lock" enough to turn them into a paperweight. Both of the owners had to end their range session until they got home to get the key to unlock their firearms. I'm glad, for their sake, that they were at the range instead of self defense situation.

I have to carry a key to my front door, don't want a key to my gun on my key ring.
    The keylock must have been between the on and off notch when they were shooting and the recoil happened to cause the lock to enter the on position because I have two Taurus revolvers with the lock and I must say it operates very positively. It clicks into the on position and into the off position very strongly. Its either on or off. If you were to stop turning the key halfway between the notches and leave it there, then recoil probably would cause it to enter the on or the off position.
    God & Guns!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota97 View Post

I have never heard of this with a Taurus before. I have heard of it many, many times with the S&Ws.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Opinions vary but Taurus does not have the "best rep" in the firearms world thats for sure. Certainly all makers have a certain number of issues with any model of gun they produce. Does Taurus have a higher number of issues overall from their models than lets say S&W. I would say so. I don't have any real data to back that up, but from the 35 or so years I have been shooting, working on and owning guns including some products from the Bull, I think the Smith would be the better gun for you. I have found that when I opened up a Taurus revolver the internals did not appear to be as well finished and fitted as the internals of a Smith, Ruger or Colt, and I have done a good deal of "smithing" on these handguns over the years. The triggers and action tended to be somewhat rough and gritty. The amount a manufacturer spends on hand fitting and polishing the internals is usually one of the main reasons for cost. Time costs money in manufacturing. Thats why Taurus cost less in general. For a CCW revolver my advice would be spend a little more and get the Smith and you will not be sorry.

Here is a good example. This is a new Taurus Judge model. This photo came right out of a recent gun rag article on this gun. Look at the extremely rough tooling on this cylinder/extractor. If this is typical of the "new Taurus" I would be concerned. Makes you think what the insides must look like! I personally don't think a gun should leave the factory looking like this at any cost.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links