Taurus Revolvers How Good Are They?

This is a discussion on Taurus Revolvers How Good Are They? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently posted that I am looking for a good pocket revolver with a price tag around $400.00- $500.00 A lot you you guys suggested ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Revolvers How Good Are They?

Charlotte N.C.

I recently posted that I am looking for a good pocket revolver with a price tag around $400.00- $500.00 A lot you you guys suggested one of the S&W J frames which I am considering. However I haven't heard much on a Taurus revolver. I found a new in box "Ultralight 2" barrel 38 spl in stainless for $349.00+ tax. I liked this little gun and the quality seemed to be acceptable. I didn't want to purchase it until I got some feedback from you guys. My question is how does Taurus compare in quality, reliability and durability to others such as S&W and Ruger?

Columbia, SC
    Taurus has come a long way. Like a couple other makers, they've worked hard to overcome a certain stigma they had about them years ago. I should know, I had a .380 of theirs about 20 years ago.

I've got a model 85 now that does me good. I only bought it after a lot of research both online and in person convinced me that they had gotten their act together a bit.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

SE Virginia
    I have a Model 85 ul and think it is great. Works like a charm with no issues at all.

Heathrow, FL
    My first handgun purchase about 25+ years ago was a Taurus PT-92
    the copycat of the Beretta 92 I don't recall what I paid for it but I know it was not cheap... but cheaper then the Beretta It was purchased from John Jovino Gun Shop in New York City a local Cop Shop near 1 police plaza so I must have paid dearly lol.

I owned that gun for almost 15 years and NEVER had a problem
    and I would buy another tomorrow, If I was in the market.

Don't forget they offer an Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy.

Have one laying on the bed right now (Model 85). Haven't shot it yet, but the quality seems amazing, most likely will still buy an S&W, but for the price its a nice little gun.

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

SW Missouri
    IMO, spend the extra $ and get a S&W w/o the lock. I wish I had done that instead of buying the 85 ultra-lite that I have now.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I have had good luck with the Taurus revolver line. Dependable as Ruger and S&W IMHO.
    God bless our troops!

Livonia Mi.
    currently my 2 different BUG's are a 605 and a 651 both are SS and can be fired thru a pocket if necessary
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Franklin, VA
    Does Taurus make a few lemons? Yep. So does Glock and just about every other manufacturer. I would rate them just as highly as any other manufacturer. Think of it as driving a Ford when everybody else is in a Mercedes. You all still get to work at the same time.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Moderator
    Central Florida
    I agree with the 'spend a bit more' and get a S&W...

I believe you could still stay in the $400-$500 range.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

The only Taurus I have is a model 94 in .22. It is fine, I've put 1,000's of rounds through it.

Ft. Worth TX
    I have 2 85s with concealed hammers. One is steel that I've had since 1997, the other is alloy & Ti bought last year. Both are reliable, no problems with either. I like them.

I have had two M 85s. One was a concealed hammer, and it sometimes failed to fire. I went through over a year of sending it back, and finally to a revolver action expert, who did not correct it. I finally after many letters and phone calls got it replaced.

I sold it NIB and personally would always opt for the S&W.

They sure do make an appealing revolver. The grips feel comfortable etc. I purchased a Tracker 627 ( stainless .357 ) a couple of years ago. Really would have been a great gun to have...but the rear site blade nearly fell off after a couple of boxes of ammo through it. I think they've changed the design of the rear site... Never had an issue like that with my Ruger Super Redhawk...and I don't think Smith owners would have either.

Anyway...I still think they are doing a great job with their products...in their price point bracket. I just haven't had the opportunity to give them a try again.

Only problem I've had with my 605CH was the cylinder release screw loosening up about 150 rounds into a range trip and seizing things up. A little properly applied force and some blue Loctite, and no more problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links