custom grips

custom grips

This is a discussion on custom grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So this next week is my spring break and i wanted to have a project to work on during the break. so i decided i ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: custom grips

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar

Talking custom grips

So this next week is my spring break and i wanted to have a project to work on during the break. so i decided i wanted to try my hand at making my own grips. so i went to my parents house and looked for some supplies. my parents do a lot of wood working so i looked through there scrape wood for something i thought would look good. i settled on a block of old barn wood at least 100 years old! i cut it in half to see what kind of wood it was and it turned out to be red oak. so i thought that it would look cool and i went with it. so my goal is to finish it by the end of next week. im gonna post my daily progress here is what i have done so far. sorry the pics are grainy used my camera phone. what do u think???

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Good for you! I think it's cool and look forward to seeing the progress. I've always wished I could make my own for my SP101. They just don't make wood grips for that gun that fit me well and are small enough for my small hands.

Good job so far! what gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Good for you! I think it's cool and look forward to seeing the progress. I've always wished I could make my own for my SP101. They just don't make wood grips for that gun that fit me well and are small enough for my small hands.

Good job so far! what gun?
    s&w model 65-2
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Now that is something I would never attempt. I have purchased hand-carved grips from "Esmeralda" (out in CA)...
    Good luck with your efforts...and remember, when completed...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

can't wait to see how it progresses! awesome project
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Now that is something I would never attempt. I have purchased hand-carved grips from "Esmeralda" (out in CA)...
    Good luck with your efforts...and remember, when completed...
    I second that! Pretty cool and good luck
    I know what you're thinking, "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself...you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? - Dirty Harry

Way to go man. Doing it yourself is so fulfilling once you have the project complete. As most things I encounter involve making a prototype before I have a usable finished product, grips are easier than some things. One great thing about making custom grips is that they can be totally made to fit your own hand. Here is a photo of the grips I made for my Colt ceries '70 out of purple heart wood scraps.

By the way, I am very interested in what you use, if anything, to "seal" the wood once you are done with the fabricating portion. I used two coats of ply wood sealer. Please keep us updated.
    Attached Images
    I'm married to my Kahr.

those look nice! i havnt decided what im going to seal them with my dad made a stock for a 303 British when he was youg so im gonna ask him what he used! here is a pic of what he did in 1953 i keep the gun now! oh the wood is walnut!

Quote Originally Posted by Hagphish View Post
    Way to go man. Doing it yourself is so fulfilling once you have the project complete. As most things I encounter involve making a prototype before I have a usable finished product, grips are easier than some things. One great thing about making custom grips is that they can be totally made to fit your own hand. Here is a photo of the grips I made for my Colt ceries '70 out of purple heart wood scraps.

By the way, I am very interested in what you use, if anything, to "seal" the wood once you are done with the fabricating portion. I used two coats of ply wood sealer. Please keep us updated.

ok guys here is my progress to date both are still far from being done!! and my hands are sooo sore!!

Heck of a lot more work than 1911 panels!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Wow, I REALLY applaud you for your efforts. Those grips are gonna turn out sweet though once your done.. I didn't realize so much went into making them. That could however explain the price...
    Best of luck
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

los
    In the World of gun ownership, there's nothing more gratifying than taking a block of wood and making a set of hand built Stocks for your carry weapon.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

That is an awesome project! I would not have the skill, patience, or foresight to take on such a task. I hope it works out great for you and will be anxious to see the finished product!

Maybe I missed it, but what make & model revolver are you making those for?
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

- I'm looking forward to completion pictures!

a s&w model 65-2 with a 4" barrel .357 mag!

Quote Originally Posted by bgglock View Post
    That is an awesome project! I would not have the skill, patience, or foresight to take on such a task. I hope it works out great for you and will be anxious to see the finished product!

Maybe I missed it, but what make & model revolver are you making those for?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links