Defensive Carry banner

I installed a Ghost Tactical in my G21SF & 6# FP & trigger spring– quite a difference

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  MadGunner420 
#1 ·
I installed a Ghost Tactical in my G21SF & 6# FP & trigger spring– quite a difference

I recently purchased a G21SF and it has, well had, the stiffest trigger I’ve ever seen on a Glock. I thought it might have the 8# connector in it, but I checked and it was the stock 5#. Soooo, I wasted no time ordering a Ghost Tactical connector.

I’ve installed quite a few Ghost connectors in my Glocks over the years, both the Rocket (3.5#) and the Tactical (5#) and never been disappointed or had a problem. I like the Rocket and the Tactical because they have the over-travel limit. That requires some fitting but to me it’s worth the effort and it isn’t that difficult to fit. Unlike some over-travel systems, the Ghost does not use screw type fasteners, etc. that can come loose. Instead, the Ghost system uses a tab on the connector and you file the tab down to fit it to your particular Glock. Hence, there are no moving parts to come loose or get out of adjustment - very simple, very reliable.

The Ghost connectors feel slick. They feel like a highly polished, lubed piece of metal. It’s worth mentioning that Ghost has changed how they manufacture their connectors. Arthur, owner of Ghost, examined many, many connectors under magnification and discovered that no matter how carefully one manually polishes the trigger bar, connector, etc., the edges and surfaces wind up rounded and irregular. So he invested in a electronic polisher. I’ve forgotten the details of how this device polishes, but it does so without producing irregularities on edges and surfaces. Sounds great right? A highly polished, very accurate part. However, Arthur discovered that the electro-polishing embrittled the metal and could compromise the part, so he discontinued this method.

I’m not sure how he presently achieves the slick effect now, but there’s no denying that he’s doing it right.

The Rocket and Tactical differ only in trigger pull weight, 3.5# and 5# respectively. After numerous trials between the two, I’ve settled on the Tactical. The Rocket is good, but I have had a few ‘premature’ follow-up shots with it.

It’s worthy to mention how the trigger pull weight is controlled by the connector. Intuitively, we’d probably think that it has to do with a lighter spring or less preload tension on a spring somewhere but that’s not how it works at all. In the Glock trigger system when the trigger is pulled, the rounded end of the trigger bar is forced against a ramp on the connector. As the trigger moves rearward, the trigger bar is forced downward which will eventually cause the trigger bar sear to release the firing pin (FP).

The only difference in the 3.5# and 5# connector is the angle of the ramp, but that angle does two things - it both modifies trigger pull weight and the distance the trigger has to travel to release. E.g. the 3.5# connector produces a lighter, but longer pull. There’s not a lot of difference, but certainly quite a noticeable difference.

I measured my trigger pull with the stock connector at 8 lbs. Yep, 8 pounds. So those 3.5# and 5# numbers don’t accurately reflect trigger pull weight. Here’s why, again referring to Arthur Aviani of Ghost Inc. The trigger pull figures published by Glock are values obtained by measuring trigger pull from the bottom tip of the trigger, not at the midpoint as one might think. Since our finger cannot pull at the bottom of the trigger, our finger will feel a pull weight different, i.e. heavier, than 3.5# and 5#.

After installing the Ghost Tactical, with no lube at all, the trigger pull weight dropped by one pound! And it was smoother than the stock setup as well. Although I have only had the opportunity to dry fire it with the Tactical installed, it feels right. The stock one didn’t feel right at all.

Trigger bars and connector combinations themselves can have a noticeable impact on trigger pull and feel. One of my instructors at Gunsite told me that a Glock armorer first made him aware of this. The armorer brought a bunch of stock Glock trigger bars and stock Glock connectors to Gunsite and he and the instructor tried combinations until they found the combo that worked the best. He said the difference was quite significant.

Well, that’d be an expensive and time consuming approach and the Ghost Tactical does the job in one session.

Oh, yeah - the 6# FP (firing pin) and trigger spring. I installed these at Arthur’s suggestion. He said that the FP spring in the G21 (.45 ACP) was the same as the FP spring used in the 9mm and it wouldn’t hurt to have a bit more power to strike the .45 ACP primer. To offset the heavier FP spring, he recommended a heavier trigger spring. I know that sounds contradictory, but the FP spring and the trigger spring in a Glock actually pull against each other. In fact, the trigger spring in a Glock actually pulls the trigger rearward! The FP spring pulls it forward. So the heavier trigger spring offsets some of the heavier FP spring force. I don’t think it can fully compensate for the heavier FP spring but it may help a bit.

I measured the trigger pull with the 6# FP spring and stock trigger spring and with the heavier 6# trigger spring. I could see no measureable differences.

But, now my G21SF trigger not only feels better, but is one pound lighter and smoother. The heavier primer strike provided by the 6# FP spring is comforting too.

See less See more
#2 ·
Tangle:

Great post!! Glad you've gotten such a positive result. I was wondering if you had also done the ".50 Cent trigger job" to any of your pistols? I just did to a NIB G27 I picked up a week ago. Other than the over travel...it sure makes for a mighty nice stock trigger...even with the stock 5 lb. connector.

Wonder if some polishing on the bearing surfaces would add any benefit to your current set-up?

Congrats on the G21SF...Great pistol...I love mine as well.

Wayne

#3 ·
I have done the .50 cent trigger job on lots of Glocks, but it was only .25 cents when I did it - inflation I guess.

I have seen minimal benefits from polishing DEPENDING on the condition of the trigger to start with. It seems that some stock triggers are better than others in terms of pull and smoothness.

#9 ·
You might like the Ghost Ranger - I believe that's the name of it. It's the same as a Tactical, but without the over-travel tab, so it's a drop in version - no fitting required.

#10 ·
I have just installed this on my G19, very happy with the results. I would say I had to take it apart 6-7 times to file and feel/dry fire. I also have one for my buddies G21 that I will start tonight. Then, when I trade back with him I will prob order one for my G21sf. Great Post. A bit of age but rejuvenated. I love my Glocks!!

#12 ·
It is if you shoot your gun. but my wife would have no idea:rolleyes: I really love the fact that it cuts out overtravel and quicker reset. A bit of a pain to fit, but hey a guys gotta have something to work on!!

#13 ·
I will try and post when i get back out shooting with results, but I know already. I love it, and works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.