Bersa 380cc issues-need your opinions

This is a discussion on Bersa 380cc issues-need your opinions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a Bersa 380CC new. I went to break it in the next day and soon found out the gun was defective. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bersa 380cc issues-need your opinions

Bersa 380cc issues-need your opinions

I recently bought a Bersa 380CC new.
    I went to break it in the next day and soon found out the gun was defective.
    I took it back to the shop and they offered to send it back to Bersa.
    That was 8 weeks ago. Three calls later I cant get anyone to give me any kind of update.

I'm considering taking the box and receipt back and asking for a refund. They may laugh or I may get my money back.
    It's not the crummy service or length it's taking to get it repaired but I'm not sure I will trust this gun unless I dump a ton of rounds through it.
    I should have returned it when I had the chance instead of sending it back.

My question is this.
    I'm looking for something fairly small like the 380CC to carry on certain occasions.
    I have a Springfield XD9SC that is my EDC and a Ruger P95 9mm which I carry on occasions.

My budget right now is $450-500
    I'm looking for something a little different that what I already have in a small, narrow frame,compact semi-auto in any caliber.

I kind of wanted a 380 because my wife likes to shoot that caliber.

I dig the Sig P238 from what I have seen online.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I'm sorry that you've had Bersa troubles. They're cheap but usually pretty predicatable and stable. Whatever you do look at, don't buy a Kahr. You've already had a "back to the factory" experience. Your budget will probably keep you from it but still.

Check out the Supersnubbies thread. A snubby would be in your budget and they are pretty cool. Been around forever. You can go Crimson Trace. No auto issues.
    Good luck
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

For your price range of the Bersa...
    Some don't like them, but my KelTec P-3AT is almost six years old and has never caused a problem (1st Gen)...2nd Generation is even better.

I would pressure the gun shop for a refund...if it's a place you spend $$$ often, they should work WITH you.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sorry that you are having trouble, but anything can break....even a brand new car. I've run several hundred rounds thru mine with no trouble.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I can't help you out with your issues but wanted to say I had SEVERAL issues with my Bersa Thunder 380CC. It was horrid. I'll never buy a Bersa again, no matter how many people say theirs wasn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    I recently bought a Bersa 380CC new.
    I went to break it in the next day and soon found out the gun was defective.
    I took it back to the shop and they offered to send it back to Bersa.
    That was 8 weeks ago. Three calls later I cant get anyone to give me any kind of update.

I'm considering taking the box and receipt back and asking for a refund. They may laugh or I may get my money back.
    It's not the crummy service or length it's taking to get it repaired but I'm not sure I will trust this gun unless I dump a ton of rounds through it.
    I should have returned it when I had the chance instead of sending it back.

My question is this.
    I'm looking for something fairly small like the 380CC to carry on certain occasions.
    I have a Springfield XD9SC that is my EDC and a Ruger P95 9mm which I carry on occasions.

My budget right now is $450-500
    I'm looking for something a little different that what I already have in a small, narrow frame,compact semi-auto in any caliber.

I kind of wanted a 380 because my wife likes to shoot that caliber.

I dig the Sig P238 from what I have seen online.

Any suggestions?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I was looking at a Bersa UC9 back in January, buut could not find one. When I went to order one I was told that the factory was shut down for summer vacation and remodel, and would be opening back up in March. That might be the holdup in your repairs.

for 380 acp the kel tec p3at is the best way to go. my p3at is the best small gun that i have. hard to beat. i would go on the hunt for one, now days they are hard to find.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Walther is coming out with a new P380 which should be a really nice pistol. It is on their website now. Those that have advance knowledge of this weapon said that it is going to be the major competition on the market in the 380s.

I do not recommend Kahr because of their association with the Unification Church, but Kahr is a fine gun.

I have a Bersa 380 (not the CC version) and has been a very reliable gun. With the right ammo it has functioned flawlessly. I am sorry you had problems.
    Attached Images
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Found this pic of the Walther PK380.
    Attached Images
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

My wife and I each have a Ruger LCP and have had no problems what-so-ever after about 600 rds each. Btw, we each just ordered a Bersa Thunder CC. I hope we don't have problems similar to yours. I'll keep you updated when they arrive.

I have two .380 Bersas, the CC and the Plus and have had no
    issues with ether of them.
    If I were you I would call the gun shop you are dealing with
    and ask where they sent it to because it was not the
    factory but an authorized service center here in the states.
    Get their number (the service center) from the dealer and
    call them direct. Thats the best way to get your answer
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

EAJ
    I had issues with my Bersa 380CC which I purchased about two years ago. One of their warranty repair facilities, Colorado Gun Works, replaced a defective slide stop within a reasonable length of time. However, it took almost six months to get two defective OE magazines rebuilt because of part shortages. After calling the repair facility a number of times I called Bersa’s U.S. Distributor, Eagle Imports and requested that they intervene on my behalf. A month later I received the rebuilt magazines. I haven’t had any issues since than however I’m not completely comfortable in its reliability and no longer use it as my primary concealed carry. Instead, I use a CZ-83.

EW3
    I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

Is the Bersa cleaned very well? They come covered in a gunk that would probably cause all sorts of malfunctions. I gave mine a through cleaning with lots of Gunscrubber solvent (nasty stuff, but works great!) and then basically soaked all parts in Breakfree CLP. The gun also likes lots of lube; I used both CLP and Militech-1 grease on it and have never had a problem. In fact, it's one of the few guns I own that has always gone "bang" when the trigger is pulled and have never had even one jamming issue.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Bersa is pritty good gun shoot it a lot it break in fine H/D

Keep in mind this is a brand new gun. I bought it on a Tuesday, went to the range on Weds. to break it in and immediately had problems. The mag would eject after every fired shot. The mag would eject if you released the slide stop.
    Any recoil at all would eject the mag.

I went back to the gun shop today and went straight to the manager. He sent me to the gunsmith. Apparently they didn't send it off but decided to let the gunsmith fix it. He did fix it and it's been fixed since the 9th of March. He's been waiting on Bersa to get him a price on the parts. I asked who he expected to pay these repair costs and he said me. I informed him that it was a brand new gun that malfunctioned the day after I bought it with less than 30 rounds through it. He didn't care and outright expected me to pay the repair costs. I got fussy with him and he said he would eat the costs this time. How nice of him huh?

I have not dealt with this gun shop before. They have been around for a very long time but after this incident and the crummy service I received, I will not give them a dime of my money ever again.

I got the gun back today and will break it in properly. If I have any more problems then I will approach them for a full refund.

Thanks for all comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links