My XD .40 vs. G23 carry update....one month in...

This is a discussion on My XD .40 vs. G23 carry update....one month in... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I bought an XD .40 service model, two tone with the tax refund. It pretty much replaced the Glock 23 for every day carry. ...

Thread: My XD .40 vs. G23 carry update....one month in...

My XD .40 vs. G23 carry update....one month in...

So, I bought an XD .40 service model, two tone with the tax refund. It pretty much replaced the Glock 23 for every day carry.

I carry the XD in a Blackhawk SERPA just as I did the G23. I am a SERPA fan.

After one month with the XD here are the things that I have noticed. First, I have put a little over 1000 rounds through the XD of various makes and weights. Both FMJ and Hollow Point. I have had no failures or stoppages of any kind, even when trying to limp wrist the gun to create a failure. I can limp wrist the G23 into a failure, but the XD seems less sensitive to it.

The XD is physically a bit larger that the Glock 23. Both in grip length and in slide length. It also just "feels" larger and by that I mean the gun feels a lot larger in the hand and on the hip that it actually is in relation to the G23. I think part of this is the fact that the bore axis is a good bit higher than on the Glock. That fact does add to the recoil being more "flippy" for lack of a better term. But still very manageable due to the fact that the grip is a much better fit for my hand.

I do not like the 3 dot sights on the XD as much as the standard Glock sights. In fact, I much prefer the Glock sights.

I really love the loaded chamber indicator on the XD over what Glock passes off as a loaded chamber indicator.

I am constantly annoyed that the XD is a bit physically larger that the Glock 23 but holds one less round in the magazine. I know Mecgar makes a 13 round mag for the XD service and I have 4 on order but the fact that the factory mags hold only 12 is just annoying.

Bottom line, they are both great guns but for different reasons. If I could take both and meld them into one gun with the good attributes of each I would be in heaven. The XD grip on a Glock, with the XD loaded chamber and cocked striker indicators, the Glock sights and bore axis....I'd have the perfect gun.

As it is, the XD is my normal duty, every day carry gun and the Glock is my hard duty gun. If I am going to be some place where I know I will most likely be getting dirty and sweaty, or I may be spending time on the floor where the gun may come in contact with dirt, grit and filth, the Glock is on my hip.

I love them both.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I am assuming that you still have the Glock (not a trade)?
    Now you have two fine pistolas...

Do they both still get to take turns being with you?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

nice! That is sort of how I feel about my two. XDm .40 and Glock 22 - of course I have 16 round mags for the XDm.... :-)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Just go ahead and send that G23 about 250 miles south! I'll give you a FFL address to ship it to.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I am assuming that you still have the Glock (not a trade)?
    Now you have two fine pistolas...

Do they both still get to take turns being with you?
    Yep. They both get their turns out in the sun. The G23 is on my hip right now in fact. And it will always be the gun that I wear while riding my bicycle in the heat of summer. Sweat doesn't seem to effect it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Just go ahead and send that G23 about 250 miles south! I'll give you a FFL address to ship it to.
    Nope.....I'm a-keepin 'em both!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

kpw
    There is no way you can like them both! It's impossible! Don't ya know that?

Seriously, nice un-biased comparison between the 2.

Very good comparison! I learned something.

I couldn't really compare my two because my G-23 and XD9sc are two totally different guns. Both in caliber and size. But like you... I'm keeping them both!

What I do like about my XD9sc is the 10 round mag for compact concealment and the two 16 round mags for reloading.

The grip extension on the 16 rounders is funky because of that block of plastic at the end of the magazines, but when put in the gun, you have the full contour grip of the full size XD's which is really very nice.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree with your findings, as I compare them with my feelings about my G27 and XD40sc. I do prefer to carry the Glock.

Thank you for a great objective review.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Interesting comparison. A service vs a compact. I have the G19 and the XD45C. I've mentioned this a few times on this forum, the XD45C with the 10 rd mag is virtually the same size as the G19/G23. Of course I've got 5 less rounds but both are still very comfortable to carry IWB using Brommeland Max Cons for both. I have Mepros on the G19 and XS Big Dots on the XD45C. No complaints.

Links