Why the .380 Craze? - Page 3

Why the .380 Craze?

This is a discussion on Why the .380 Craze? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to this. I'm waiting for my Texas CHL. It's at least a month in my future. But I bought a Ruger LCP for ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Reasoning for .380...and availability may be picking up

I'm new to this. I'm waiting for my Texas CHL. It's at least a month in my future. But I bought a Ruger LCP for CC when the ticket arrives. I know a 9 mm would be more effective for a one-shot stop; a .45 ACP or a .40 ACP would be even better. But I don't go into areas that are high-risk (yeah, I know, how do I know that, right?). I go where there is low to moderate risk, at the worst. So what I am looking for is a truly last-resort weapon to save my life and maybe someone else's. I know this means the BG will have to be pretty darn close for me to pull it off -- within a few yards, probably. And I'm not going to be pulling that gun unless I'm going to fire it, probably all 6+1 rounds, depending on accuracy (I hope I could stop after 3; so far I'm pretty good a close distances with the LCP.) To me, the big selling point was concealment. Deep concealment. I am fully sold on the idea of one day trying out a 9 mm or larger for CC, but not until after I get comfortable doing pocket holster carry (or IWB holster) with my "mouse gun."

BTW, .380 ammo appears to be making a reappearance on the shelves around Dallas/Fort Worth. I've found it in gun stores and even Bass Pro Shop.

I'd love to add a little .380 to my collection. Variety is the spice of life. A couple of extra holes in your heart or head of any size will pretty much do the trick for anyone.The size and weight of the mouseguns is very attractive depending on clothes and situation.

Why the .380 craze? Because size matters....

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    Just out of curiosity... why did you have your Kahr 9 instead of your Kimber or Glock? I'm presuming that the Kahr was lighter and easier to pack, and it just didn't seem worth the effort to strap on the Kimber or Glock. That issue is _exactly_ why .380's and pocket 9's sell so well. You can argue until you're blue in the face that a more effective caliber isn't that much harder to carry, it won't change the truth.

A micro-compact can be carried in locations where a larger gun simply can't, and sticking a pocket holster in your jeans on the way out the door is much easier than strapping on your super-tuck.

If I new that today was the day, I'd strap on all the hardware I own, and find some way to 'conceal' my carbine... heck, who am I kidding, if I really knew, I'd be headed in the opposite direction! When I left the house this morning, I was not expecting trouble. I go out of my way to make sure that I don't expose myself to any unnecessary risk. Still, that little pocket .380 is there if I need it, every hour, every day, no matter what I'm doing. I own many more suitable caliber firearms, and I do carry a larger gun when the situation allows it. I'm no more willing to give up my lifestyle, career, and mode of dress than I am my guns. Those considerations dictate a small, easily concealable firearm, or none at all.

Imagine how much worse that gut-wrenching feeling would have been _without_ the pocket 9 you were carrying!
    I was carrying the Kahr because, I like to change up my carry gun every so often, cause I can. I can and do carry, Kahr MK9, S&W 3913, Taurus 606 (357 mag snub), G32, G36 or my Kimber Tactical Ultra II. My Sigma 380 and Colt Detective Special (even loaded with Glasers or Magsafe rounds) stay at home. Sure I know that 7-9mm+p CorBon's would probably put most down and I have had tactical training so two to the chest and one to the head is muscle memory for me. If they are still standing, the pelvis gets the next shot. I typically wear a strong side under an untucked dress shirt so I could hide a Desert Eagle if I needed to.

Heh I really do agree that a 380 can do the job. But considering that the opponent may be moving, and you should be moving, and your shots will hit mass but maybe not a vital organ, something like the energy of a 40 cal, 357 SIG or mag, 45 ACP, etc will do more damage from "less well placed" shots than any 32 or 380 or 38 ever will. How many cops use anything less than a 9 mm for their main weapon? None I know.

And I'm no caliber snob. Well, make your own judgement. A 308 AR-10 for hogs and a 30-06 CDL for deer. Guess I should have bought a 223 and a 300 WSM. Isn't it great that we still, praying here folks, have all these choices. It is great to be an American. BTW, really sorry this thread got derailed. Never meant that to happen.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

I think a lot folks have come to realize that a small .380 in their pocket allows them to be armed regardless of the weather or style of clothing that is in vogue at the time. With the advancement in .380 self defense ammo these days, this caliber is getting a second look by many who ignored this caliber in the past.
    God bless our troops!

I am a Limo Driver and wear a fitted tuxedo jacket and pants (no belt loops = no belt). My .380 hides nice while I am dismounted which is very important for me. It's a good option for my line of work.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Here in KY you could get a $1.00 a round for Winchester white box .380 right now.

I put money down on my first .380 two weeks ago. It won't arrive for who knows when but I'm already trying to buy ammo. After making over a dozen stops I've only found ammo on three occasions.

I bought a .380 in hopes that my wife will like it. I'm ordering special engraved grips that I know she will like. She doesn't like recoil so I figured the .380 might be good.

A .22 in the hand beats a .45 in the safe.

Went to my favorite range/gun shop today and talked to the owners. They expect the new Walther PK380 in around July. Price will be in the $450 range. They apparently have a large order in for delivery and they fully expect to sell every one of the guns they ordered. They had seen a pre-release of the gun and liked what they saw.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

I can not remember the last time I saw 380 ammo in the store.

Who cares?! Just give me a link to the hottie photo in your Avatar!!!

And BTW--I am always somewhat amused by the "this caliber vs. that caliber" debate. It always makes me think of two questions:

1. If you had no other option and were forced to choose between having your head cut off or getting shot in the azz, which caliber would you pick to be shot in the backside with--a .22, .25, .380, 9mm, .40, .45, .357, or .44 (add your other favorites--in any event, you get the point); and

2. There is a reason that, when men go hunting lions, tigers, and bears ("oh my!"), they typically don't take a .17HMR, .22LR, .25-06, .243, .270 or some such rifle to do it. It almost always will be of a caliber that starts with at least a ".3" (or the mm equivalent).

Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    Here in KY you could get a $1.00 a round for Winchester white box .380 right now.
    That's a little bit of an exageration. Saw several 100 rnd. boxes of WWB for $31 at WW yesterday.

A hole is a hole. It doesn't matter what size it is, as long as it is in a vital organ or artery.

It is magnitudes easier to conceal an LCP than a full sized 1911, I don't care what anyone says about that.

IMO I think some of our newer buyers are being cheap, and figure that some kind of gun is better then none, And they had better buy while they can, and
    save money while they can.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Alot of good reasons, many of which are partial contributors. I have considered a .380 because of their availability in pocket carry sizes. This brings up a good point. Assuming the same size gun, would it better to have 5+1 in .40, 6+1 in 9mm, or 7+1 in .380? I don't know if there is a gun available in those sizes and capacities; but the fundamental issue is to compromise and sacrifice caliber vs. capacity. Here in California we are limited to 10, so this issue is less prevalent until you get down to the pocket guns.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links