Why the .380 Craze?

This is a discussion on Why the .380 Craze? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cause they are small and easy to conceal or slip in a coat or pants pocket....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why the .380 Craze?

Cause they are small and easy to conceal or slip in a coat or pants pocket.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

2. Remove Ads

ONE GOOD REASON I GOT A 380 is wife can shoot 3-1/2 inch groups @ 15 yrds one handed with a ppk knock off -accurate & reliable

Who cares?! Just give me a link to the hottie photo in your Avatar!!!

So it's new CC'ers?

From that, I can deduce that the Beltman belt I've ordered will probably take the full 30 days... and holster makers with backlogs from 1944 will probably continue to be backlogged.

New CC'ers are good. New CC'ers with guns that are easy to carry and conceal should mean CC'ers that carry on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by arby238 View Post
    I can not remember the last time I saw 380 ammo in the store.
    I heard that. The wife picked me up a new P3AT and I can't even work it out.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Newcomers to CC.... esp women... like them (easier to use & smaller).
    And then the rest, who want them for pocket carry &/or a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaone View Post
    IMO I think some of our newer buyers are being cheap, and figure that some kind of gun is better then none, And they had better buy while they can, and
    save money while they can.
    I'm sure size and weight have nothing to do with the equation.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

No problem with the caliber. However, I've seen many new shooters/CCWr's getting their first gun choosing "airweight" 38's and tiny 380's and when they hit the range they suddenly get a taste of reality that their new guns are hard to shoot well and hard to hold on to resulting in basically zero practice for new shooters with arms they are carrying - not acceptable.

Couple examples:
    Saw an elderly man walk up to the firing line, shoot a cylinder full in his brand new airweight, and then he packed up and left b/c he couldn't handle it with his arthritis (yes, I spoke with him). Took a CCW class and the jaws of the couple next to me hit the floor when the instructor said "50 rnds". They looked at each other and the husband said "there's no way we'll be able to shoot 50 rnds out of these (2 brand new airweight 38's). I offered my SP101. When we got to the range the woman fired about 12 shots and was done. She couldn't handle the recoil, had a hard time pulling the trigger in double action mode, and couldn't cock the hammer back for single action. Luckily, the instructor had a 22 revolver for her to qualify with.

Not saying a .45 is the answer, but steering noobs away from guns like these isn't always a bad thing. Hopefully after they see the 45, they wind up with a "smallish" 9 or large 380 - easier to carry than a 45 and easier to shoot well and practice with than a mousegun. Besides, 380 ammo costs as much as 45 in WWB.

My wife loves her Sig P6 but carrying is hard for her. The Bersa Thunder 380 or Kel-tec P32 with 10 round mag is much easier for her to carry and she still shoot great with the guns.

I do like my Kel-tec P3AT as an always gun and much easier to hold onto then the Ruger LCP IMHO.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

New folks to the sport almost always pick a small caliber because people think that it's all they can handle. Sometimes their right, most times if they get a little instruction on proper form they find they can handle something larger in short order.

Another thing, when someone picks out their first gun, they don't normally buy the best of the best right off the bat. If you had never been into quilting for example, you wouldn't want to drop a few thousand dollars on a top of the line sewing machine would you? They buy what works and what fits into their budget and worry about expanding upon it later when they have a better idea of what they like and don't like.

Something like the Ruger LCP or Bersa Thunder fits this bill pretty good. When I went to pick out my first carry gun, the shop owner pointed me to a tiny .380. He told me it was the minimum that would be good for SD and since it was a good deal and easy to conceal I brought it home with me. I imagine many other new gun owners are going through the same thing.

On a related note, the last box of .380 ammo I found was a single box of Remington Golden Sabers at Gander Mountain three weeks ago that also followed me home.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaone View Post
    IMO I think some of our newer buyers are being cheap, and figure that some kind of gun is better then none, And they had better buy while they can, and
    save money while they can.
    In my case I carried bigger guns (.45's & .357's) for years then went to the .380. I think that is a common scenario.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    I'm sure size and weight have nothing to do with the equation.
    This and ease of recoil are also indicated in the sales.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by NativH View Post
    I was carrying the Kahr because, I like to change up my carry gun every so often, cause I can. I can and do carry, Kahr MK9, S&W 3913, Taurus 606 (357 mag snub), G32, G36 or my Kimber Tactical Ultra II. My Sigma 380 and Colt Detective Special (even loaded with Glasers or Magsafe rounds) stay at home. Sure I know that 7-9mm+p CorBon's would probably put most down and I have had tactical training so two to the chest and one to the head is muscle memory for me. If they are still standing, the pelvis gets the next shot. I typically wear a strong side under an untucked dress shirt so I could hide a Desert Eagle if I needed to.

Heh I really do agree that a 380 can do the job. But considering that the opponent may be moving, and you should be moving, and your shots will hit mass but maybe not a vital organ, something like the energy of a 40 cal, 357 SIG or mag, 45 ACP, etc will do more damage from "less well placed" shots than any 32 or 380 or 38 ever will. How many cops use anything less than a 9 mm for their main weapon? None I know.

And I'm no caliber snob. Well, make your own judgement. A 308 AR-10 for hogs and a 30-06 CDL for deer. Guess I should have bought a 223 and a 300 WSM. Isn't it great that we still, praying here folks, have all these choices. It is great to be an American. BTW, really sorry this thread got derailed. Never meant that to happen.
    The reason "cops", dont carry anything less then 9mm is because most cops dont get to choose the caliber or model of their service pistol. Most departments will either issue, or have a standard for caliber and ammuntion that there officers are required to carry.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arby238 View Post
    I can not remember the last time I saw 380 ammo in the store.
    +1!!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    +1!!
    A few weeks ago my local WM received a case (6 boxes) of 100ct UMC 88gr. HP priced @ $32.97ea. I took 5 and left 1 for someone else.

Distinguished Member

and the beat goes on...

No attempt to even begin to debate this age-old issue. I have a Bersa Thunder Plus. Holds fifteen rounds. Makes a great bug or truck gun. Hides well, shoots well.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links