Why the .380 Craze?

This is a discussion on Why the .380 Craze? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems like every gunshop has a shortage of .380 guns and .380 ammo. I go into Gander Mtn and they have, for once, a large ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why the .380 Craze?

Why the .380 Craze?

Seems like every gunshop has a shortage of .380 guns and .380 ammo. I go into Gander Mtn and they have, for once, a large and lovely selection of 9mm ammo. No .380 to be seen.

Who is buying all these .380s and ammo for 'em? Is it a pack of new gun owners, people wanting to CC?

2. Remove Ads

Same problem here

I think 380 must be the most popular right now, with CCL crowd

Add to that manufactures are not producing as much 380 ammo, as they are other calibers that are popular with the Government.

I think everything was popular, and while they are willing to ramp up production on 9mm (even .40 S&W), they are cautious because the bottom could fall out of the demand. People will only stock pile so much.

So I think sooner, rather then later, you will find .380 again, but their are not going to go much above and beyond other then the most popular ammo.
    Last edited by Thanis; March 17th, 2009 at 05:18 PM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I've got a 380. Kinda cute, smallest caliber I own ,and I would never carry it for protection. If I want small, I carry my Kahr MK9 with +P's in it. Personally, I wouldn't trust a 38 with +P+'s to stop some of the BG's I see wandering Houston streets, much less a 380. I even cringe carrying a 9mm. As a true believer in kinetic energy transfer, I trust me and my family to 357 SIG and 45 ACP +P rounds only ('xcept for my 308 AR-10 and 12 gauge of course).
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Part of the "problem" is the success of all the new .380's available by Ruger, Keltec, Sig etc., that have to be fed. It's the same old issue of software to go with the hardware. The hardware (the gun) demands more of the software (ammo). What you end up with is a caliber that up until fairly recently was not as popular, but has become so. Add in all the panic buying going on and....................
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by NativH View Post
    ...I wouldn't trust a 38 with +P+'s to stop some of the BG's ...
    Carry what you can for the occasion. Better armed then not. For most SD situations, .22 could do the trick. .380 would be just fine. In addition a .38 Spl and a 9mm has plenty of power to do the trick.

I'm not nocking ya, what you have to say concerning power is always something to consider (out of a list of things to consider), however it is off topic from OP.
    NRA Member

Add in all the panic buying going on and....................
    Wasn't some of the panic buying from fear of an AWB, though? Most .380s wouldn't qualify for that.

No the CCP apps have gon through the roof, and .380...mosts of them are in a smaller in the pocket package than most 9mm or greater calibers. Simply put they are small handy little guns and are pretty much the minimum for SD...making them very popular for the noobs.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

jfl
    There might be a "panic" on prices going up.
    Then there is also the ammo serialization scheme looming !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Carry what you can for the occasion. Better armed then not. For most SD situations, .22 could do the trick. .380 would be just fine. In addition a .38 Spl and a 9mm has plenty of power to do the trick.

I'm not nocking ya, what you have to say concerning power is always something to consider (out of a list of things to consider), however it is off topic from OP.
    While I don't disagree that a 22 or 380, which is a police round in many parts of the world, will do the trick, people have grown larger and stronger (WWF, ie steroids, how about crack that didn't exist a quarter century ago) in the last quarter century.

And yes, I got off track from the OP. Guess my point is I think alot of folks like "small and convenient" over less convenient and more effective. This has caused an extreme run on a cartridge that most gun shops I visit carry less than a 1000 rounds of at any point in time.

Although some may place an eye shot under extreme duress in a stressful situation, I don't think it is particularly prudent when your family is at risk. Now if you are ex GB, SEAL, etc a BB gun will be deadly in your hands. I'm neither. My point, I think the reason that 380 is impossible to find is alot of folks with limited firearms experience are going for easy and small, which doesn't make their choice wrong. I just hope they never get that gut wrenching feeling like I got one night two years ago when I realized I was about to have to kill someone who was high on crack and all I had was my Kahr MK9. I never wanted my Kimber or my G32 on my side more than at that one point in time.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

People see the cute little handguns and think that is what they need for concealment. Many new owners have absolutely no gun knowledge, except what the store clerk tells them. They don't realize how easy it is to carry a more substantial gun.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

...people have grown larger and stronger, steroids, how about crack that didn't exist a quarter century ago....
    I doubt steroids is to blame for the larger and stronger average person (assuming the average is large and stronger). More likely less malnutrition (unless you consider the steroids put into the food supply).

However, I just can't agree with the premise that people, or criminals, are more dangerous (physically) then in the rough and tumble past, where manual labor was the norm.

Frankly, an argument could be made that a drug user (even on crack) is less of a threat then a drunk.

...Although some may place an eye shot under extreme duress in a stressful situation, I don't think it is particularly prudent when your family is at risk....
    You can say this about any caliber. If you miss, you miss. However, if you can control recoil, and get back on target, and get quick shots off, you increase the chance of a hit. Any hit is better than no hit.

Two to the chest, one to head. Easy to practice. I think I almost have it down to 3 shots in about a second.

...I just hope they never get that gut wrenching feeling like I got one night two years ago when I realized I was about to have to kill someone who was high on crack and all I had was my Kahr MK9. I never wanted my Kimber or my G32 on my side more than at that one point in time.
    Better then the feeling of being unarmed.

Honestly, I get what you are saying, but I don't buy the stories of crack heads shrugging off rounds with thick winter jacket on. I'm sure it has happened. I'm also sure it is rare.

BTW, I'm not suggesting I don't believe your experience. As they say, crack is a heck of a drug. When you are dealing with a nut on the stuff, it is scary.

I'm just saying, what is reasonable. If you shot at a person who was on crack with a .22 (assuming no justification) you would still be charged. They are not monsters immune to the caliber.

I'm going to back off, no troll here. Hay, both you and I appear to love the .357 Sig, we are on the same page. I'm just saying, worrying about super BG during your day to day CC can't be the #1 concern. Carrying an easy to control and easy to CC firearm is a more important factor (well, unless you know you are headed into an area of greater risk).
    Last edited by Thanis; March 17th, 2009 at 06:47 PM.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The .380 and some of the pistols chambered for the round have always been popular, we're talking many decades here. It's no surprise there's been a run on one of the most popular rounds ever created an used in CCWs.

The "caliber snobs" may not want to admit it but there are many people that are comfortable using small, easy to conceal pocket or mouse guns for everyday protection.

.32acp has disappeared around my local burg also.

...I just hope they never get that gut wrenching feeling like I got one night two years ago when I realized I was about to have to kill someone who was high on crack and all I had was my Kahr MK9. I never wanted my Kimber or my G32 on my side more than at that one point in time.
    Just out of curiosity... why did you have your Kahr 9 instead of your Kimber or Glock? I'm presuming that the Kahr was lighter and easier to pack, and it just didn't seem worth the effort to strap on the Kimber or Glock. That issue is _exactly_ why .380's and pocket 9's sell so well. You can argue until you're blue in the face that a more effective caliber isn't that much harder to carry, it won't change the truth.

A micro-compact can be carried in locations where a larger gun simply can't, and sticking a pocket holster in your jeans on the way out the door is much easier than strapping on your super-tuck.

If I new that today was the day, I'd strap on all the hardware I own, and find some way to 'conceal' my carbine... heck, who am I kidding, if I really knew, I'd be headed in the opposite direction! When I left the house this morning, I was not expecting trouble. I go out of my way to make sure that I don't expose myself to any unnecessary risk. Still, that little pocket .380 is there if I need it, every hour, every day, no matter what I'm doing. I own many more suitable caliber firearms, and I do carry a larger gun when the situation allows it. I'm no more willing to give up my lifestyle, career, and mode of dress than I am my guns. Those considerations dictate a small, easily concealable firearm, or none at all.

Imagine how much worse that gut-wrenching feeling would have been _without_ the pocket 9 you were carrying!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I think the 380 has become popular with the rise in CCLs. People are looking for easy to conceal weapons that are a bit more then the 32s and 25s. A sort of intermediate round between the 32s and the 9mm. A little less recoil in a slightly smaller package then the 9mm. I really do not think that the demand for .380 ammo has kept up with the number of 380s that are out there right now. Add to that an increase in ammo sales and that spells shortage.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links