I am thinking about getting a SIG P226, but know nothing about them

This is a discussion on I am thinking about getting a SIG P226, but know nothing about them within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking at other pistol designs similar to the Beretta M9 (DA/SA with decocker). I tried doing some research on SIG pistols, but didn't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am thinking about getting a SIG P226, but know nothing about them

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I've been looking at other pistol designs similar to the Beretta M9 (DA/SA with decocker). I tried doing some research on SIG pistols, but didn't really come up with anything. I'm a big 9mm fan if you guys haven't figured that out by now LOL! I own four 9mm pistols already. I also understand the 226 comes in .40 and 357 SIG but I want the 9mm. Are they single stack or double stack? What can I expect to pay for a NIB or maybe a slightly used SIG P226, and is the decocker like the Beretta M9's (firing pin moved out of the way)?

Thanks in advance!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Administrator
    The 226 is one of the finest fighting pistols out there. It is a double stack, and the decocker is much like the Beretta design (in theory). A NIB 226 will cost you right around 7.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Best 9mm Pistol made.

Get one. It wont be your last Sig.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

16 Year

I've carried mine daily for 16 years. Never had even 1 malfunction while shooting (even withrails dry). I had a 9mm and went over to the SA/DA .40 cal. Then Last year switched to the P226 .40 DAK, this is the best of all. The DAK has NO decocking lever as the hammer is internal.The DAK is about 6.5# trigger pull. As far as grouping & accuracy, the .40 is way beyond the 9mm. If you insist upon the 9mm there are 20 rd extended mags available out there. The nice thing about maintaining these is they field strip in 5 seconds down to only 4 pieces (frame, slide, barrel, recoil spring) and can be done in complete darkness with very little practice. Any double-feeds or stovepipe malfunctions are usually caused by sub-par ammo.
    Colt AR-15 Match Comp. H-BAR
    Sig P226 & P239 .40
    Sig P230 .380
    Waters model 1836A Pistol .54 (1843)
    Waters model 1816A .69 (1828)

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Best 9mm Pistol made.

Get one. It wont be your last Sig.
    +1 on both points.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Great pistol, tough as nails.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Goes bang every time - more accurate that you would expect. Tough as nails.

Thanks guys, I knew SIGs were great pistols, but just wanted to know the little details about them. I looked at Sig's website, and it looks like they come in several different variations. Only reason I am considering this gun is because I like DA/SA triggers for carry guns, and my Beretta M9 is a little big for carry.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    If you think the M9 is big for carry, you might want to also take a look at the 226's little brother, the 228/229.

Either way, if it doesn't feel right in your hand, there are a variety of grips and triggers available to get it working for you. Great combat pistol.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Moderator
    If you think the M9 is big for carry, you might want to also take a look at the 226's little brother, the 228/229
    I'll second that.The 226 is as big as the M9.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Thanks again everyone, the P229 is probably what I am looking for in a DA/SA concealed carry gun. The Equinox model catches my eye, but looks expensive!

I still may get the 226 for a range/open carry gun in the future. I will have to go down to my dealer to see if they have any SIGs for me to fondle. I did handle a SIG P220 at a gun show and it felt very nice and solid in my hands.

Senior Moderator
    They are expensive...but...how much is your life worth?

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

The 226 is doublestack. You might want to look for a CPO model... CPOs, IIRC, are pretty much factory refurbished with worn parts replaced, gun cleaned, various recent changes made, etc. If you go used, try to go with a CPO.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    They are expensive...but...how much is your life worth?
    I've paid a lot of money for the guns, ammo, and training I have, and I don't regret one bit of it, my life is priceless, along with the people I care about. I not only purchase guns for defensive purposes, I also purchase them for the sake of collecting and the possible future citizen disarmament, because I for one am not going down without a fight, and I am more than willing to arm my friends and family if I have to.

SubNine - the best selection of SIG's in Anchorage that I have seen is at WildWest Guns. you can find them by going south from dowling (the big stupid traffic circle) on the frontage road next new seward highway.

I would go there and handle a couple - be aware that some of the people that work there can be real A holes. I try to get down there to handle a few guns once a week or so.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links