9mm vs .45ACP Recoil Question

This is a discussion on 9mm vs .45ACP Recoil Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a G30 .45ACP, and a XD-9MM, when I bought the XD I was expecting a large drop in recoil, and I was surprised ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm vs .45ACP Recoil Question

9mm vs .45ACP Recoil Question

I have a G30 .45ACP, and a XD-9MM, when I bought the XD I was expecting a large drop in recoil, and I was surprised that there was not that much of a drop. Is this normal?
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I have a Kimber .45 and would rather shoot it than my Browning 9mm.

The Browning is an older model, the guns are about the same size, what I really notice is the trigger on the Browning slaping my finger during recoil.

I personally don't perceive much difference. I have consolidated my arsenal by focusing on the 9mm round as it is cheaper to use for practice, and most modern self-defense rounds in 9mm are more than adequate.

I find I actually shoot .45ACP quite accurately, it just take me a fraction of a second longer to reclaim the sight picture.

YMMV

VIP Member
    I don't (and won't) own a 9mm, but I have shot plenty of them, and the recoil seems to me to depend on the specific gun more than the caliber.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Ergonomics of the gun, and the way you grip it as well as the weight of the weapon even within the same caliber will make a big difference in perceived recoil.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Add that 9mm is more of a "snap" while .45 ACP tends to be more of a "push" and you get another reason the 9mm feels harsher. I run into this all the time with my P97DC vs. my G17.

I would rather shoot my p220 than I would my pt92. The only reason I still have the 9mm is cause my wife wants to keep it
    Sig P220R .45ACP
    Taurus PT92 9mm
    Rem 870 12ga.
    Bushmaster M-4 .223/5.56
    HK P2000 9mm
    Glock 31 .357

It had been a while since I shot a 9mm, so about 2 months ago, give or take, I rented one of those Sig 226s with the extended grip and 20 round magazine.. I carry a Kimber daily and 1911 is all I usually shoot..

So, I ran the target out to about ten yards, emptied a couple magazines from my Kimber into a fairly decent group.. I then loaded the Sig, took aim, and.....POW, POW, POW! This thing was flippin' like all heck! Believe me, my grip is anything but weak! I had holes all over that target! I was shocked.

Now, it wasn't THAT bad, but much worse that I though/remembered! I barely finished the first box of 50 9mm and took it back to the counter. Went home with an SIS Pro.....in .45!

Jonathan

kpw
    The G30 is a pretty soft shooting .45 with standard ball ammo. The XD has a bit higher bore axis that might increase muzzle flip a little but my 30 doesn't really feel any worse than my 19 until I start shooting +p loads.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Technology with springs and gun designs.....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I shoot my XD45 and XD9 one after the other fairly regularly, and don't really notice a lot of difference. If anything, I would agree that the 9mm has a bit more of a "snappy" recoil, while the .45 is more of a straight push--perhaps related to the heaviness of the slug being pushed down the barrel (meaning that the "push" to move the heavier .45 slug offsets some of the snap). But that's just conjecture. I really struggle when I shoot a .40 for some reason; that caliber seems to want to jump outta my hand...

My Kimbers in .45 shoot more smoothly than some of the 9mm's I have used.
    I believe the weight of the sidearm has a more to do with the 'kick' than anything else...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by XDFender View Post
    I shoot my XD45 and XD9 one after the other fairly regularly, and don't really notice a lot of difference. If anything, I would agree that the 9mm has a bit more of a "snappy" recoil, while the .45 is more of a straight push--perhaps related to the heaviness of the slug being pushed down the barrel (meaning that the "push" to move the heavier .45 slug offsets some of the snap). But that's just conjecture. I really struggle when I shoot a .40 for some reason; that caliber seems to want to jump outta my hand...
    I am with you on the last part XD- I carry a 9mm daily, but have shot lots of .45 and .40 and hands down I would pick .45 over .40 ANY day...just something about it. I'm also quite content with my 9mm rig though...
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

The difference between designs is huge. If you can, borrow a 9mm CZ-75 and a similar size Sig and shoot them one after the other. The Sig is lighter and kicks less.

My CZ 2075 9mm seems to kick more than my Ruger P345 (.45). The Ruger is really smooth with a rather pleasant recoil. My .40 caliber kicked more than either. I really like the .45 - I think that "love" is perhaps a better choice of words...
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links