.357 sig or .40 cal carry pistol

This is a discussion on .357 sig or .40 cal carry pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ivan4x4 I,m thinking of getting another carry pistol , my current EDC is a colt defender .45acp , I,m very partial to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 sig or .40 cal carry pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan4x4 View Post
    I,m thinking of getting another carry pistol , my current EDC is a colt defender .45acp , I,m very partial to the .45 acp but I want to have another caliber pistol to mix things up, can you folks give me your opinion on the pros and cons of the .357 sig and .40 and also which auto pistol should I look into, I,m looking for a 3" to 4" barrel.
    Thanks
    In most "bottomfeeders" you can change the barrel and have a .357 Sig or a .40 S&W.

I'd recommend going with whatever round is most common in your locale. I'm willing to bet it's .40, but I could be wrong. The .357 Sig is a great round, but can be harder to find. As far as magazines, as far as I know, both calibers use the same magazine.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    Get both. Sig 229 or HK P2000SK can be had in combo units with both 357 and 40 barrels included.

Both great options. I LOVE my HK in the 40SW. The price of 357 SIG ammo is what held me back.
    S&W M&P 340--HK P2000 V2 40SW--HK P2000SK V2 40SW--Beretta 92 INOX Vertec--SIG P220 45ACP

Phil 1:6

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I think you'll be happy with either one. From what I've seen ... people who like 45's, really like .357's more that the 40's... but it's all a personal choice thing.

Go shoot both.
    Funny, never thought about that but it fits me. I sold my G27 to an office bud and never looked back. Although the 40 cal was nice, the 357 SIG just seems to be flatter shooting and easier to control for me. But YMMV. If I'm not carrying 45 ACP, 357 SIG gets the call. And my wife likes shooting it over 45 ACP anyday for some reason. If it is good enough for the DPS and my Secret Service bud, it is good enough for me.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

I have both barrels for my P226. I reload .40 so that gets the most work being with the necked case .357 is much more difficult to reload and brass difficult to find. The .357 has better controlable recoil not as snappy and for the most part penetrates better than the .40.

My best case scenerio is practice, compete if you like, and you can drop in the .357 barrel if you want a more effective carry round.

I love the platform, hate the price and availability of ammo.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Cost of .357 Sig ammo.........way to much and hard to find...
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Cost of .357 Sig ammo.........way to much and hard to find...
    I hear you, but my wife, her life and sanctity, is worth the trouble and expense. Plus I just love the sound of that hot little 9mm bullet leaving my G32 at 1400 fps. Beautiful music to my ears.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

I own a SIG229 that came with .40 and .357sig barrel. I shoot the .40cal ok. So far, I only tried the .357sig barrel once, and it was WAY too much for me. The difference was amazing. I have pretty much given up on .357sig for now. At the time I tried it, I was at a range with fixed targets at 15yards. No problem hitting them with .40cal, even with some speed. For the .357sig, I had a hard time hitting the target at all. Adnt eh 229 Sig is not a light gun (about 2lb). I don't want to know what it feels like in something like a compact Glock.

Lots has been written about the advantages of the .357sig bullet over .40/9mm. Some say it is too fast, and it is hard to have the bullet not fragment. My non expert opinion is that it is more of a bullet that you use if you need a bit more penetration then you get from a .40. For example shooting at targets wearing light armor or inside a car. But for regular self defense stopping power, a .40 or even a 9mm should do the trick about as well as a .357sig.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

m&p .40 ftw. i love mine and before purchasing it i looked at ALOT of other .40 pistols and overall, as far as weight, capacity, price, safety, sight options, size and other things it takes the cake. Other guns just dont stack up. Sure sig is nice but the price is kind of insane. As far as .357 SIG i havent looked much into them. Just my .02$
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

G33. It's my daily carry and wouldn't be caught without it. Easy to conceal, easy to shoot and hits like a truck.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Many reasons to start with a "4". The M&P is a nice compact.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

[QUOTE=pogo2;1071594]I've read what I could find about the comparative ballistics and gel testing of .40 and .357 Sig, and can't see any advantage in the .357 Sig over the cheaper and more available .40.

I cant believe tha an Extra 500 FPS aint gonna make a huge Difference, I have one of each in the S W M&P Compacts and even out here in the Back yard you can see the difference at the point of Impact so I think the guys doing the test must be on Crack. Get An M&P in 357 Sig u want be sorry, and ammo around me is just as easy to find and aint but about 2 dollars a box more for FMJ its well worth that trust me.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

I agree w/ most of the posts. The .40 is definately cheaper and easier to find. Both rounds perform well. Although I would worry a little bit about overpenetration w/ the .357 sig.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

First, you should honestly answer (to yourself) how much you actually practice with your weapon--not how much you want to practice, but how much you actually do. If the answer is "not so much", then I suggest getting the 40 caliber with a .357 barrel to "mix-it-up" more. The fact that the .357 ammo is expensive won't matter very much. If the answer is "a lot", then get the 40, but pass on the .357 barrel both because the .357 SIG ammo is expensive relative to the 40 cal and not easy to reload because of the bottleneck case.

There is a significant difference between shooting the .357 and the 40, but not much difference in effect imho. In either event I think a SIG 229 is the way to go.

An alternative that may be possible for you (if you are not overly concerned about ammo cost) is to get a 40 CorBon barrel for your Colt. This caliber is a 45 necked down to 40. This can let you mix it up without buying another firearm. I don't know if anyone makes a 40 CorBon barrel for a Defender. Of course, doing this would not give you near as much pleasure as buying another firearm.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    As mentioned before, most makers allow for the swapping of the .40 S&W and the .357 Sig with just a barrel (and sometimes a magazine) swap. If you're curious, just buy one of these and then get the other caliber's barrel to see if you like it as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links