.357 sig or .40 cal carry pistol - Page 3

.357 sig or .40 cal carry pistol

This is a discussion on .357 sig or .40 cal carry pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rednecksport I can't believe that an Extra 500 FPS aint gonna make a huge Difference, I have one of each in the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .357 sig or .40 cal carry pistol

Read it and weep...

Quote Originally Posted by rednecksport View Post
    I can't believe that an Extra 500 FPS aint gonna make a huge Difference, I have one of each in the S W M&P Compacts and even out here in the Back yard you can see the difference at the point of Impact so I think the guys doing the test must be on Crack. Get An M&P in 357 Sig u want be sorry, and ammo around me is just as easy to find and aint but about 2 dollars a box more for FMJ its well worth that trust me.
    If you go to the Winchester Ammunition Law Enforcement website, the company publishes gelatin test data for all their products:

Winchester Ranger test Data

Click on the ballistic comparison tool and select .40 and .357 Sig to compare. You will see the following:

Ranger .40 S&W bonded 165 grain - velocity = 1140 ft/sec, penetration = 13.0 inches, expanded diameter = 0.66 inches

Ranger .357 Sig bonded 125 grain - velocity = 1350 ft/sec, penetration = 12.5 inches, expanded diameter = 0.59 inches

So in this example the .40 performs better in the test gelatin than the .357 Sig, penetrating deeper and expanding wider. More velocity out of the barrel doesn't necessarily translate into greater effect on the target. Bullet diameter and weight are also important, and the .40 exceeds the .357 Sig in this regard.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan4x4 View Post
    I,m thinking of getting another carry pistol , my current EDC is a colt defender .45acp , I,m very partial to the .45 acp but I want to have another caliber pistol to mix things up, can you folks give me your opinion on the pros and cons of the .357 sig and .40 and also which auto pistol should I look into, I,m looking for a 3" to 4" barrel.
    Thanks
    I guess my question is why do you want a new carry pistol? Are you unhappy with what you have? Remember if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Consider if you have been carrying that weapon a long time and switch to something new, you may falter when it's crunch time.

Which brings me to another point, why do people keep different types of guns around the house instead of the same type. Your brain goes for what it knows from training and familiarity and precious seconds can be lost trying to figure out what type of weapon your operating.

Thanks, you guys rock! I got a lot of info and decided on a sig 229!, I went to several gun shop around town and checked one out at bass pro shop , there for sale for $799.00, I called cheaper then dirt and thy have a equinox 229 for $935.00, does any one know the difference of these two weapons?
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

As you wish . . .

Personally, I like the .357 Sig round. Impressive speed on it, and I figure that the SS uses whatever they want, so it says something that they want that caliber. I've handled and shot plenty of .40s (including a sister gun to my Steyr M357) and the Sig just feels like it is more potent and powerful.

But whoever said that '.45 guys' prefer the .357 Sig sure had it right...

Cheers -

Jim D.

Ballistics by the inch: "Four guys, two chronographs, and 8,500 rounds of ammo."

Like Science Fiction? Read *or listen to* my novel, Communion of Dreams, for free.

Thanks, you guys rock! I got a lot of info and decided on a sig 229!, I went to several gun shop around town and checked one out at bass pro shop , there for sale for $799.00, I called cheaper then dirt and thy have a equinox 229 for $935.00, does any one know the difference of these two weapons?
    We are heading a bit off the original topic here... but here it goes:

The Equinox is for "low light use". It got night sights and parts of the slide are polished to "shine". It also has an accessory rail.

A regular 229 usually does not have a rail (usually called 229R if it has a rail... but I have seen the 'R' omitted at times) and no night sights if you get the basic one.It is also all black. See sigsauer.com for details.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Get the .40cal with a aftermarket 357sig barrel. I think the 357 is better for longer range stuff, flat shooting. The muzzle flash of factory 357 is quite impressive. I am currently working on reloading 357Sig and find it frustrationg getting the working OAL that fits the mag without compressing the bullet and gives enough shoulder to crimp on. I currently am using 124 FMG, but I think 124 Truncatted cone FMJ is the way to go. Without a doubt .40cal is cheaper and easier to reload. If you have a good source of once fired 357Sig brass, then reloading is way cheaper, I am using 6.2grs of Unique behind the 124 gr bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    If you go to the Winchester Ammunition Law Enforcement website, the company publishes gelatin test data for all their products:

Winchester Ranger test Data

Click on the ballistic comparison tool and select .40 and .357 Sig to compare. You will see the following:

Ranger .40 S&W bonded 165 grain - velocity = 1140 ft/sec, penetration = 13.0 inches, expanded diameter = 0.66 inches

Ranger .357 Sig bonded 125 grain - velocity = 1350 ft/sec, penetration = 12.5 inches, expanded diameter = 0.59 inches

So in this example the .40 performs better in the test gelatin than the .357 Sig, penetrating deeper and expanding wider. More velocity out of the barrel doesn't necessarily translate into greater effect on the target. Bullet diameter and weight are also important, and the .40 exceeds the .357 Sig in this regard.
    Using that data, the 357 has about 6.25% more terminal kinetic energy than the 40 cal. Maybe not much but enough of a difference for me. And .5 inches difference in gellatin penetration isn't much either. Bottom line, both are good rounds and whatever one you like, you still have a good defensive round.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

i would go with the .40SW for one simple reason: whenever i'm in a gun shop, or sporting good store, or even Walmart, i've never seen, but for one occasion, a box of .357SIG on the shelves. it seems that it's just not as readily available as other calibers.

of course, i could pose the argument that you might as well stick with .45ACP, but that would be no fun, would it?

Choice

Quote Originally Posted by NativH View Post
    Using that data, the 357 has about 6.25% more terminal kinetic energy than the 40 cal. Maybe not much but enough of a difference for me. And .5 inches difference in gellatin penetration isn't much either. Bottom line, both are good rounds and whatever one you like, you still have a good defensive round.
    You have to decide if you want kinetic energy out of the muzzle or a larger, deeper hole in the target. I'll take the larger hole.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I don’t know what this proves, but I found it interesting. Last week I was in the local Wal-Mart, they were out of 9mm 40 and 45 but there were 7 or 8 boxes of 357 Sig sitting on the shelf. The clerk said they sell out of every thing as soon as it arrives but the Sig has been there for over a week

I,m thinking of getting another carry pistol , my current EDC is a colt defender .45acp , I,m very partial to the .45 acp but I want to have another caliber pistol to mix things up, can you folks give me your opinion on the pros and cons of the .357 sig and .40 and also which auto pistol should I look into, I,m looking for a 3" to 4" barrel.
    Thanks
    Why choose between the two when you can have both. I own a M&P40 full-size with a .357 Sig drop-in barrel made by Smith & Wesson. The barrel only costs an extra $80 from Midway USA, and everything about the firearm remains the same. If you set a reminder at Midway on the item, they will alert you when they get them in... It only took a few weeks from the time I set the alert to when I recieved mine.

This is my M&P40 with the 357 Sig barrel:
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Well lad's it's official: I'm the proud papa of a spanking new sig 229 in .40 ! I,m going to check midway usa catalog to see if they sell 357 sig barrels for this weapon, I went to cheaper then dirt and they didn't have any( they only had barrels for glocks and 1911's), thanks again for all your help
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Glock 33 - .357 SIG

Several years ago I purchased the Glock model 33. I like it.

After about a year I purchased an OEM .40 barrel to practice with. it works fine in the model 33.

Still prefer the .357 load for home self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by mulletguter View Post
    I don’t know what this proves, but I found it interesting. Last week I was in the local Wal-Mart, they were out of 9mm 40 and 45 but there were 7 or 8 boxes of 357 Sig sitting on the shelf. The clerk said they sell out of every thing as soon as it arrives but the Sig has been there for over a week
    This has been my experience as well. I'm finding I have a whole lot more 357sig in my safe now.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

Talking Apples to apples

Chrono results:

Glock 27 Speer Gold Dot 155 gr. @ 1,134 FPS / 442# KE
    Glock 33 Speer Gold Dot 125 gr. @ 1,315 FPS / 480# KE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links