XD9SC for CCW?

XD9SC for CCW?

This is a discussion on XD9SC for CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see a lot of people talking about the XD40SC. And I posted this question on the new members page. I have been having trouble ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD9SC for CCW?

Question XD9SC for CCW?

I see a lot of people talking about the XD40SC. And I posted this question on the new members page.

I have been having trouble trying to pick a CCW. I am pretty sure that I want the Springfield XD 9mm sub-compact. I would be carrying IWB. I don't know though I am having a hard time deciding for sure. I really like my best friend's XD 9mm SC. I like how it shoots, I like how it feels, I like how it's balanced. I am one that usually goes with his gut but I like feedback.

I know .40 has more stopping power, but from my experience I don't much care for .40. Something about .40 just doesn't sit right with me. I can hit my target don't get me wrong, but with 9mm and 45 I can group pretty good... for some reason I shoot .40 all over the damn place (but still on the target). So I figured that if I'm going to get something that I should get something I can shoot accurately and comfortably. (Yes I know there isn't an XD 45 SC, I just mean 45 in general.)

So can anyone give me a reason NOT to get an XD9SC as my CCW? Please post your reason. Or if you think it is a good gun let me know that too. I know I love them, just looking for feedback and maybe new things to try.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Asking about which gun to finally decide on is like asking which pair of shoes to get...only YOU can make that final decision.
    We have all been there, once in the gun shop, it's always that ONE gun that begins calling your 'name'.
    When it comes to caliber, I stick with either 9mm or .45...today's ammo prices combined with my 'stock up' policy has made me narrow down my caliber decisions.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thank you retsupt for your advice. In all honesty I had not considered ammo price. As I'm not planning on having to defend myself every day, well I'm planning on being able to just hoping I don't have to go through so much ammo it starts to hurt my wallet. But you never know I guess. Personally I have been stocking up on 12 ga. slugs for my Benelli. Am also planning on stocking up on .223 and 308.
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA2669 View Post
    I see a lot of people talking about the XD40SC. And I posted this question on the new members page.

I have been having trouble trying to pick a CCW. I am pretty sure that I want the Springfield XD 9mm sub-compact. I would be carrying IWB. I don't know though I am having a hard time deciding for sure. I really like my best friend's XD 9mm SC. I like how it shoots, I like how it feels, I like how it's balanced. I am one that usually goes with his gut but I like feedback.

I know .40 has more stopping power, but from my experience I don't much care for .40. Something about .40 just doesn't sit right with me. I can hit my target don't get me wrong, but with 9mm and 45 I can group pretty good... for some reason I shoot .40 all over the damn place (but still on the target). So I figured that if I'm going to get something that I should get something I can shoot accurately and comfortably. (Yes I know there isn't an XD 45 SC, I just mean 45 in general.)

So can anyone give me a reason NOT to get an XD9SC as my CCW? Please post your reason. Or if you think it is a good gun let me know that too. I know I love them, just looking for feedback and maybe new things to try.

I think you are doing a great job answering your own question. You know which one to get!

I can't think of one "good" reason NOT to get the 9mm.

I carry an XD9sc as a BUG, but also frequently carry it as my primary.

Carry the gun, you shoot best, handle the best and are more accurate with. Those are infinitely better reasons than whether the .40 cal has more stopping power than the 9mm.

Because bottom line, with quality defensive ammunition the 9mm is going to stop a BG just as well as a .40 cal if you do your part with the better marksmanship you get with the 9mm.

That is just my humble opinion...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I've had 2 40s, a glock 23 and an HK USP Compact. Both were great guns but I just never liked the sharp snappy recoil. I have an XD9SC and it's a great carry gun. Nice to shoot and cheap to feed.
    I also have a couple of 45s that are more pleasant to shoot than the 40s, a Kimber Eclipse and a an XD45.
    I'm currently eyeballing the Glock 19 which seems to be gun of choice for many people.

There is no good reason NOT to get the 9mm. Of course, the decision is ultimately yours and yours alone to make.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I personally prefer the Glock 26 to the XD9SC, bu that is personal preference. I have never really been drawn to the XD line. Just never felt right in my hand or pointed as naturally for me. The 9mm will get the job done. Go with a good SD rouns like a 115-124 gr GDHP or maybe a Winchester Ranger, goos SD rounds with a bonded jacket. Maybe go with the +p while you are at it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I ended up buying both a Walther PPS in .40 and an XD9sc ...I will be selling the Walther.

I love my XD and I think 9mm is just fine with modern defensive rounds (may I suggest you consider Corbon DPX?).

Sounds like you've picked the right gun and caliber for you, and although people may argue the fine points between guns and calibers they're only fine points. You've made a very solid choice and there's nothing "wrong" with it.

I used to carry the XD9SC as my EDC before I got the big bore bug. I love the little XD9SC still and would carry it without hesitation. It's a good shooting and comfortable to fire platform that I've found little to complain about.

As others have said, only you can make the final decision. You may also want to consider the Glock 26 and Smith&Wesson M&P9c as they are comparable to the XD9SC. My first carry gun was the XD9SC but that position is now held by the M&P9c. Good luck in your decision!

I can tell you why I got rid of my XDSC9 and went to a Kahr is because of bulk and weight. I LOVE shooting the XD but I never carried it and always carried my Kahr because the thing was super bulky and was hard to conceal in summer clothing in the south. IWB was tough because I needed clothes to be a size larger than what I was wearing and that wasn't practical. When I did carry it was in OWB and it would print easily.

They are great guns but those were my reasons.

I cc a xd9sc. great weapon. great cc. IWB H715-M T.B. OWB Agent 711 T.B. Belt: Desantis 1 1/2" black. for more info: XDTalk Forums - Your HS2000/SA-XD Information Source! and Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods. works for me.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Thank you all very much for you're input. I feel much more confident now about my decision. I went to Green Mountain Guns today and put myself on the wait list for the one I wanted. Thank you all again!

I carry the xd9sc as my main carry gun in a crossbreed supertuck holster. I did have to increase my pants size by 1 but it was worth it. I could have got by without doing that but its more comfortable that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links