My New Taurus PT1911

My New Taurus PT1911

This is a discussion on My New Taurus PT1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; finally! i've been wanting one for about a year, and last week, i said to myself, "you know what? i've worked pretty damn hard this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Taurus PT1911

My New Taurus PT1911

finally! i've been wanting one for about a year, and last week, i said to myself, "you know what? i've worked pretty damn hard this year. got a new minivan, got the lady of the house the washer/dryer set she wanted, and all the kids have complete wardrobes. it's time." so, i walked into J&G Sports Center in Throop, PA, with $650, and walked out with a brand new 1911, complete with two sets of grips, two sets of sights, and a box of 100 WWB ammo.

the day after, i took it to the range, and just threw all the ammo i had threw it. no aiming, or anything fancy. just shot it to shoot it. i even shot about 10 rounds of some 10 year old Hornady flatnosed rounds that were sitting in an old drawer. those things never fed right in anything, but the Taurus ate them up.

the next day, my brother says to me that he also had ammo to burn. so, we packed up a few pistols, and headed to the PSGC range in Archbald, PA.

oh, wait, did i forget to post pics?

a guy at work gave me a set of rubber grips he didn't want. i did a little asking around, and found out they're from a Colt Delta Elite. i think ishould give them back, as they're hard to find these days. to do fit nicely, though.

from left to right: a Hi Point .45ACP, the Taurus, and my S&W Sigma.

here's my first target, from 25'.

someone left a silhouette target up; i put three of mine on it. the top target was shot from 10', the bottom one was from 25', and the one in the middle was from 50'.

my brother is supremely jealous of me now. he couldn't hit crap from more than 25' away with his Hi Point. he originally blamed his eyes, but he managed to nail his targets with the Taurus from the same distance. again, the Hi Point never failed, it's just not accurate. i was surprised at myself, to be honest. to get any accuracy from the Sigma, i have to put some work in. the Taurus, once i got used to handling it, made hits easy. it's almost like cheating.

once i put another 100 or so rounds through it, i'll be using this as my EDC.

on a related note, if anyone is having trouble finding a holster for their Keltec PF9, try a 1911 holster. when he bought the PF9, i gave him a Don Hume i had lying around, and it fit perfectly. as a goof, i put his gun in my DeSantis belt slide, which is also for a 1911. it fit perfectly in there as well. we later on went to a gun shop, and tried various 1911 holsters on it; most of them fit well, they were just a bit long sometimes.

Administrator
    Tell your brother the Hi Point failed if he can't hit the target.

Anyway, its always good to see somebody out shooting a new gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Congrats on the PT1911. Mine has operated flawlessly since I bought it.

You will love it. I have over 2k rounds through mine with ZERO failures. Mine has eaten anything I put in it. Only problem I had was the rosewood grips I had were not cut for the ambi safety, they did not come with the gun. When I made the cut I took a hair too much out and the thumb safety fell out a couple times. Had to get some new grips and re-cut. Been fine since then.

I love it and I want one!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Nice...just nice. I want one.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Congrats on the pistola...nothing like a day at the range!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I got one and Love it. I lost the front sight off of mine. Make sure it is tight. Enjoy.

I don't own a 1911 and the Taurus is on my list as my next buy...I'm told once I get the bug I'll be hunting down more 1911s...
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by PackN View Post
    You will love it. I have over 2k rounds through mine with ZERO failures. Mine has eaten anything I put in it. Only problem I had was the rosewood grips I had were not cut for the ambi safety, they did not come with the gun. When I made the cut I took a hair too much out and the thumb safety fell out a couple times. Had to get some new grips and re-cut. Been fine since then.

heres mine,theres a pt 1911 too,bottom row,2nd from left

the day after, i took it to the range, and just threw all the ammo i had threw it. no aiming, or anything fancy. just shot it to shoot it. i even shot about 10 rounds of some 10 year old Hornady flatnosed rounds that were sitting in an old drawer. those things never fed right in anything, but the Taurus ate them up.
    I love my PT1911 but I couldn't the ground with it when I first tried those straight eight sites. It seemed like I was bouncing rounds off the floor into the target.

You're right it will fire any type of ammo you feed it and when you point it in the right direction that ammo goes right where you pointed it. Go figure.

I had trouble shooting my SW9VE (Sigma) and so I sold it to finance my Springfield Armory GI Champion 1911, have never regretted that sale. The trigger is extremely difficult to manipulate for me. I don't to extremely well with Glocks either.

P.S. Like your line (been using it for a while too.)
    --
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

VIP Member
    Seems it is working well for you

VIP Member
    Congrats on the Taurus. It's on my list as my next buy? Everyone I know who has one, think they are great.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

My PT1911 is great too. Eats any ammo, and works with mags that other guns don't like, cheap and high end alike. Great gun.

Last time out one of the factory mags "threw up" in the gun. The follower came out the top of the mag and was hanging out the ejection port by the spring! We all laughed like hell. Good thing I do not carry it.

Dauff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links