Ruger LCP or Kahr PM9

Ruger LCP or Kahr PM9

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP or Kahr PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My uncle won a Ruger LCP at a NWTF banquet. He has no use for it and wanted to know if I wanted it. In ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ruger LCP or Kahr PM9

My uncle won a Ruger LCP at a NWTF banquet. He has no use for it and wanted to know if I wanted it. In my area you can't find them and there is a waiting list. He wants $300 because that's what they are selling for and he has been offered more than that from others.

It has never been shot. It's brand new in box.

I was going to buy a Kahr PM9 but I'm having a hard time letting go of that much cash. Now that this is available I'm really considering buying it. Should I just spend the extra and get the PM9 or spend the money saved on another gun like a S&W 642 or ammo?

I carry a H&K P2000SK and was wanting a pocket pistol for the rare occasions it's not practical to carry the H&K.

I recommend the PM9 nothing against the Ruger (ive never actually shot one) but my wife carries the PM9 & i carry a PM45 daily & we love, they are small, reliable & look like a real gun
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

I got a LCP.

I'm a IPSC shooter and after handling a Para P16-40 and a Glock 22, the LCP is almost a joke. I'm very careful with the LCP as I'm afraid I might accidentally hit the trigger.

The little thing is an excellent firearm and I have shot 7 rounds in 5 or 6 seconds and it worked perfectly and it's very easy to conceal. I can literally just put it in a pocket.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

if you need the smallest gun possible with decent power then i would get the lcp. but, if i could hide a gun that is just a smige bigger and heavier then i would get the pm9 if my wallet could afford it. having a 9mm over a 380 is definately a plus if ever had really use it.
    God & Guns!

I have both and for now I am keeping both, but I am really leaning toward the PM9. My main carry is an xd9, but I wanted a smaller gun I can carry in front pocket when work attire just doesn't work with the xd. The LCP is a smidge smaller, but honestly not much (length and height are closer than you think especially since I need a Pierce extension on the LCP to to get two fingers on it - width is the issue but is workable). I'm a gadget guy, make precision racing parts, etc. so I like attention to materials and quality and the Kahr guns have that - it's just obvious to me when I look them. Will less expensive guns work? Probably and do work fine for many. Based on the quality I see in the Kahr line, over time I believe the Kahr will last much longer and FOR ME is worth the extra cost. YMMV

Oh, and I wanted to stay with 9mm since I have a ton of it and I can't find squat in .380 right now.

If you get a pm9, make sure and cycle the slide to make sure it isn't overly tight. I had one pm9 that was complete junk, and the second has been flawless. The first had a metal on metal feel even when properly lubed. The second feels altogether different. Take it FWIW, I'm no gunsmith.
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

the ruger is .380 and the kahr is 9mm , a more powerful round, but I refuse to buy a kahr because the money will go to reverend sun young moon's Church
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

I'm happy with my LCP, easy to carry in a pocket.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    I'm happy with my LCP, easy to carry in a pocket.
    ++1

It's going to be a purely personal choice.

I am very happy with my LCP. It is not a primary weapon, though. It is a BUG or even a 3rd gun.

If I was looking for a primary gun that small, I would go with the PM9 for sure. But I've never seen, held or shot one other than internet photo's and I would love to have the opportunity to shoot one.

I can handle the LCP all day long with target loads, and it's a bit snappy but easily manageable with defensive rounds. But the PM9 may in fact be too much to be comfortable or accurate to shoot fast and under stress. If so, It wouldn't be a great choice and I would go with the LCP.

But I have looked at the little Kahr PM9 for a while and love the looks and reviews but I would definitely want to shoot it before I dropped the bucks on one.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    It's going to be a purely personal choice.

I am very happy with my LCP. It is not a primary weapon, though. It is a BUG or even a 3rd gun.

If I was looking for a primary gun that small, I would go with the PM9 for sure. But I've never seen, held or shot one other than internet photo's and I would love to have the opportunity to shoot one.

I can handle the LCP all day long with target loads, and it's a bit snappy but easily manageable with defensive rounds. But the PM9 may in fact be too much to be comfortable or accurate to shoot fast and under stress. If so, It wouldn't be a great choice and I would go with the LCP.

But I have looked at the little Kahr PM9 for a while and love the looks and reviews but I would definitely want to shoot it before I dropped the bucks on one.
    Ive got one, pm9, and i love it. the recoil isn't that bad. not that much different than the lcp with hot loads.
    God & Guns!

I can't comment on the Ruger, but love my Kahr.

"I refuse to buy a kahr because the money will go to reverend sun young moon's Church"

My understanding is that Kahr was founded by a son of the the Reverend Moon and that he does not affiliate with, or participate in, his father's church. Regardless, to each his own.

go with the ruger. any gun copyed from kel tec is a good gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I would go with the LCP as well if those are your only 2 choices. I really never understood the hype on khar. Yeah there small but there are alot of small guns for that matter. The price and super low capacity has always turned me off. Also the limited finishes available. Im not one to care about a guns looks but always stainless, come on. Id say screw them both and buy a p3at. Or if u want a 9mm then a p11 or a pf9.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    • $300 is a great price given their scarcity. The MSRP is currently $347. If you buy the LCP for that price and then decide you don't like it you can get more than $300 for a lightly used LCP.
    • I carry an LCP as an EDC BUG when I am out and about. Around the house it may be my primary. When the grandchildren visit it is on me 24/7.
    • 380 ammo is impossible to find in our parts. Availability of the ammo in your parts may impact your decision.
    • The LCP has a long trigger pull and relatively heavy trigger weight. None the less, I carry it in a holster which covers the trigger guard while it is in my front pants pocket.
    • The LCP is mechanically more accurate than all but a few shooters will be able to achieve. One world-class instructor is able to achieve incredible results out to 25 yards.
    • I am a novice with respect to working on handguns, yet I was able to replace my own slide hold-back when the one with higher ridges came out. It would seem that the LCP is very easy to work on.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links