**Hammer or no Hammer??**

This is a discussion on **Hammer or no Hammer??** within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going with a 5 shot .357 for back up or primary ankle carry on the extreme occasion when carrying my Sig 239 is not ...

Thread: **Hammer or no Hammer??**

I'm going with a 5 shot .357 for back up or primary ankle carry on the extreme occasion when carrying my Sig 239 is not an option. I would like to be able to ankle carry, pocket carry, and side pocket using the 5.11 tactical Backup Belt system in my TDU's.

Couple of problems...
    -the retention on most holsters require a hammer
    -pocket carry the hammer will snag on the way out.

To be honest I prefer a hammer. Has anyone had any experience pocket carrying a hammered wheel gun?

Let me know guys,
    thanks,
    J.D.
    Last edited by HavOkSIS; March 20th, 2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling!!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ----------------------------------
    "Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without."

No Hammer is the only wat to fly. I also carry a Sig 239 and a S&W 442 as back up. Good luck!
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

IMHO, a properly designed holster fitted for the gun requires no additional retention aid.

May I ask, what is it about the hammer that you like?

S&W offers J frames with several hammer options, exposed, fully enclosed, or shrouded. A shrouded hammer might be the best option given your preference.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I prefer the hammer, like on my S&W 637. When pulling it out of a pocket practice covering the hammer with the thumb...it becomes muscle memory just like removing the safety when drawing a 1911.

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well a pocket .357 is gonna be a mule kick anyway you slice it. But if you are pretty convinced you want a hammer that Smith and Wesson 360 is a great example. However...I tend to think when I buy mine I will go with the 340. JMHO
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

By the way I use a open top galco ankle glove. Without a leg strap. You just don't need it. It rocks!
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I prefer the hammer, like on my S&W 637. When pulling it out of a pocket practice covering the hammer with the thumb...it becomes muscle memory just like removing the safety when drawing a 1911.

OMO
    Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75
    Well a pocket .357 is gonna be a mule kick anyway you slice it. But if you are pretty convinced you want a hammer that Smith and Wesson 360 is a great example. However...I tend to think when I buy mine I will go with the 340. JMHO
    .357 commands 97% one shot stops (FBI stats). In my line of work, if I only gonna have 5 shots (10 total with a slow reload) each and every shot needs to count. Recoil just is what it is, no problem.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ----------------------------------
    "Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without."

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

OMO
    Logic! Who'd have thunk it!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member
    I went middle of the road w/a shrouded Smith 638. The SS 357 is the model 649. Neither seem to be particularly popular models but I do like the flexibility combined w/the no-snags design
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Senior Moderator
    I perfer a hammer and like shrouded hammer snubbies like

A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by HavOkSIS View Post
    Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.

.357 commands 97% one shot stops (FBI stats). In my line of work, if I only gonna have 5 shots (10 total with a slow reload) each and every shot needs to count. Recoil just is what it is, no problem.
    I agree in a SD situation recoil aint gonna matter. Just meant if you are gonna commit to that pocket blaster both were excellent options.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

No hammer for me, because it's not going to be used practically in a self defense situation and my Smith 640 is not a taget gun... also a hammerless design could be fired from inside a coat and won't snag against clothing.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I have both, but rather use the one with the hammer.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I have used and carried snubbies for many years and I got to the point that I either bobbed all my hammers or buy guys without them.
    My current pocket carry is a S&W 442 but I have carried the older S&W 36,37 and 60 and also Taurus 85.
    Most modern well made holsters do not rely on the hammer for anything.

I have never owned one of the newer, small .38/357 guns but as far as the small .38 revolvers, I have found they are very accurate if you take the time to learn to shoot them and also use milder ammo for practice and shoot enough of your carry ammo to be comfortable with it.

Short answer: No need for a hammer!

I know that no hammer is better for pocket carry but I prefer guns with a hammer. Partially because I want a hammer on a gun to be able to thumb cock for a single action shot and secondly as an older guy it just seems right.

I have a S&W 637.

Sponsored Links