How old were you when you first bought your gun

This is a discussion on How old were you when you first bought your gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I answered 28-40, during that time I bought my first pistol. I should have answered 18-21, I was 19 when I bought my first Ruger ...

View Poll Results: How old were you when you bought your first gun..and how old are you now?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • first gun at 15-18

75 36.95%
  • first gun at 18-21

49 24.14%
  • first gun at 21-28

53 26.11%
  • first gun at 28-40

11 5.42%
  • first gun at 40 and up

5 2.46%
  • you are 15-18 yrs old

3 1.48%
  • you are 18-21 yrs old

8 3.94%
  • you are 21-28 years old

18 8.87%
  • you are 28-35 years old

23 11.33%
  • you are 35-45 years old

23 11.33%
  • you are 45-60 years old

36 17.73%
  • you have written your will...60^

9 4.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How old were you when you first bought your gun

VIP Member
    I answered 28-40, during that time I bought my first pistol. I should have answered 18-21, I was 19 when I bought my first Ruger 10/22
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Age Groupings Seriously Flawed

I think the groupings in this poll are seriously flawed. I would wager that a substantial portion of the members of this forun, like myself received their first firearm well before the age of 15.

I received my first at age 11, a Winchester single shot .22 rifle.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Uncle gave me the first at 12 or 13 and I then bought a Winchester .22 riffle shortly after but before the age of 15.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I wasn't raised around guns, and my Mother would freak out and punish me for shooting my friends pellet rifles. My Father gave me my first .22 rim fire rifle when I was 18 years old. I bought my first center fire which was a Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 gauge when I was almost 21 years old. I been into guns ever since, and bought my first pistol which was a Hi-Point .40 the day after I turned 21.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Sig Sauer P220R after I saw my former community in Baltimore county go down hill with drug dealers and users, I have been shooting handguns since I was 7 but the reason I purchased my first firearm was for self defense.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

My 1st gun was given to me when I was 8, single shot 12 ga.
    At 10, I paid for it, but my parents bought me a .22 rifle
    At 16, my parents gave me a Mossberg 12 ga pump for Xmas
    I purchased my 1st gun at 21, a POS .25 Lorcin, soon after a Ruger 9mm., and then on.

I now own...
    .25 Lorcin (POS)
    9mm Ruger
    .40 Taurus
    .45 SA 1911
    2 single shot 12 ga
    Mossberg 12 ga pump
    Savage 30-30
    Savage .30-06
    Polytech AK-47
    Bushmaster AR-15
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

My grandfather bought me my first gun when I was 12yo. I paid for my own gun at 14yo, but my mother had to buy it for me (1995).
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Bought my first gun, a S&W K frame .357 in stainless. Beautiful gun. I was out of work, and needed money. I was also under a lot of stress, as my wife had told me that she wanted a divorce, and then I discovered that she was fooling around with a friend of mine (different from the one with the gun shop), who I had met when he joining my rescue squad after moving from New Jersey. I had gone out of my way and introduced him to my circle of friends, since none at the squad liked him. I was so upset that I even briefly put the gun to my head, before coming to my senses. Another "friend" who owned a gun shop offered to sell it for me on consignment. Well, time passed, and I kept waiting for it to sell. I went by his shop, and looked at the consignment guns. Mine wasn't there. I asked my "friend" (you'll understand the quotes in a moment) where it was, and he said that it was packed, as he was taking it to Virginia Beach to see a friend who was interested. Well, by now I'm sure that you can see where this is heading. I never got either the money or paid for the gun. I'm sure he sold it. But, I later found that he had so many bad debts and liens against his shop that suing him wouldn't do any good, I would never collect, in addition to the fact that it would cost too much compared to the potential pay off. He is no longer my friend, haven't seen him since. In fact, I hope that I never do find him, because I would probably beat the hell out of him if I did. Unfortunately, I didn't get back into guns until 3 years ago. The gun story occurred in 1982.

First gun I bought was a S&W 459 9mm when I was 21.

When I was about 25 or so, I was looking at getting something else and my partner was thinking of buying my 9mm. Since he was my partner, I loaned it to him to try out for a while. During the time he had it, he got fired, moved out of the state owing his landlord 3 months rent and stole all of REMCO's rental appliances. TV, refrigerator, washer, dryer and stove. Needless to say, I was HOT! And got even madder because the police refused to take a stolen gun report, because I had loaned it to him initially. I explained, he left the State, stole all the appliances from REMCO and owed the landlord rent, I said if what he did wasn't stealing my gun, what is?

That's when the cop told me, "hey, I'll loan you my car, I'll loan you my boat, hell, I'll even loan you my wife... but I'd never loan one of my guns to anyone!" He kind of chuckled at me, which really didn't set well with me... but I learned a hard lesson from that cops quip! I even tried to go to another police station and they wouldn't take a stolen gun report. Said it was a civil matter.

Well, 20+ years later, I still wonder where that gun is, and if it'll ever come back on me.

However, I will never again loan a gun to anyone! Ever! And I've turned down requests since then from my closest friend who is like a brother!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Ruger 10/22 on my 16th birthday, SKS when I turned 18, then I went on a not-so-brief hiatus until a couple of years ago.

I've spent the last couple of years playing catch-up!
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

First gun i bought was a savage arms single 12 ga at age 19-20 i think. Been collecting ever since and i think im doing ok. Need more ammo though. I am 22 now.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

I got my first gun, a Marlin Mod 60 from grandad when I was about 8 or nine.

By the time I was 18 I had a collection sort of, thanks to my dad and grandpa who were both pretty kind in regard to giving me guns. I got my 1st handgun as a HS graduation present. (1911 in .38 super)

I reckon that the first gun I can remember buying myself was when I was 21 and got my carry lisence. I wanted a smaller handgun in SS to carry. It was a Rossi stainless 5 shot 38 spl. I'm 39 now.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

My first gun was a pistol I purchased after I was married and living in Northern Michigan's woodlands.
    I had an H & R .22 pistol that started out as my rabbit gun, and I was a great shot with it. I could shoot from the hip and hit anything...I used it almost every day.
    I had that sidearm for over 30 years and traded it when I got my first CCW...I have regretted that trade often...I miss that gun.

Stay safe...don't trade off your life long 'friends'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Bought my first gun at 16 (with dad 'signing' for it) a Remington 1100 12ga. for hunting. First handgun, a Springfield Armory Gold Cup 1911 at 19 years.

I'm starting my forth decade.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

18, Turkish Mauser 8mm
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links