Puzzled by stamp on J Frame !?

This is a discussion on Puzzled by stamp on J Frame !? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If the pics are honestly attached you still won't be able to make out the marks on the blued shrouded J Frame that I have ...

Thread: Puzzled by stamp on J Frame !?

Question Puzzled by stamp on J Frame !?

If the pics are honestly attached you still won't be able to make out the marks on the blued shrouded J Frame that I have a question about. It reads " MADE IN U.S.A.
    Marcas Registradas
    SMITH AND WESSON
    Springfield, Mass. "

The Trade Mark design is accurate on the left side of the gun and all other stampings are proper. I really do not know what to make of the "Marcas Registradas" ?

All my other J Frames are recent manufacture and have the "SPFLD, MA S&W U.S.A. " in the location of the above stamp in question.

If anyone can help me out with information about this I would really appreciate it. Thanks , Tom
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    That's odd...Marcas Registradas is Spanish for registered trademark...not sure why it would be in Spanish...

edit:

My google fu found this:

"Marcas Registradas" markings were introduced during the 1930's in response to foreign copies and counterfits that were flooding Mexico, Central America and South America.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

That is what threw me. Odd.

I'm guessing S&W exported it to Mexico, where it was sold, and eventually made its way back to the US?
    -Ryan

I found a picture of another one that looked like it but a Model 49...same stampings ect. 38 S & W Special 5 shot...dated 1941 on the auction website. I can find no markings to tell me what the model # is. I do have the serial number off the grip base, so I guess I could contact S & W and pony up $50 for a search. Just odd and bugging me, I guess.

It does not say "Airweight" anywhere on it....yet it feels like it weighs about the same as my Charter Arms Bull dog ( what about 22 oz. ?) .

The previous owner thought it was a Model 60, but that can not be right. Weren't Model 60s stainless steel and 357 mag ? I don't know.....about this pistol.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I'm guessing S&W exported it to Mexico, where it was sold, and eventually made its way back to the US?
    Ummm, NO...

Xavier Thoughts: Marcas Registradas

"In May, 1948, Smith & Wesson changed their simple "Made In USA" rollmark to a more complex four line bilingual version. This was to combat the many Spanish counterfiet revolvers being produced.

For collectors, the 4 line rollmark indicates a definite post war gun.

The "Made In USA" mark appeared in May, 1922. Prior to that date, there were no markings placed on that area of the frame by the factory."
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Ummm, NO...

"In May, 1948, Smith & Wesson changed their simple "Made In USA" rollmark to a more complex four line bilingual version. This was to combat the many Spanish counterfiet revolvers being produced.

The "Made In USA" mark appeared in May, 1922. Prior to that date, there were no markings placed on that area of the frame by the factory."
    Thanks !!! That really helps !

Wonder when they (S & W) changed that particular stamp again ? 1948 to ?

BTW: I am only trying to figure out the Model and approximate age for my own education. I really don't care what the pistol is worth. It is one of my carry-rotation pieces and that is what I bought it for.
    Tom

VIP Member
    S&W at one time had a factory in Brazil, when they closed it they sold the factory and all tools and dies to Taurus, that is why older Taurus revolvers resembled the S&W. You may have a S&W that was built in the Brazil factory. Taurus did the same thing with Beretta, bought a factory and machinery and dies for the model 92.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Ummm, NO...

Your google-fu is stronger than mine!
    -Ryan

VIP Member
    Since it has the Marcas Registradas mark on it, it was made after May 1948 and if it does not have a model number on the yoke it was made before 1957. Since it is a Bodyguard style it would be what the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson calls a Bodyguard Airweight "Pre-Model 38". In 1957 the same revolver became known as the Model 38. It was introduced in 1955 and has an alloy frame. Serial Numbers run from 66000 to the 117000 range on the Pre-Model 38.

BTW the Model 49 is the steel frame version of the same firearm.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Since it has the Marcas Registradas mark on it, it was made after May 1948 and if it does not have a model number on the yoke it was made before 1957. Since it is a Bodyguard style it would be what the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson calls a Bodyguard Airweight "Pre-Model 38". In 1957 the same revolver became known as the Model 38. It was introduced in 1955 and has an alloy frame. Serial Numbers run from 66000 to the 117000 range on the Pre-Model 38.

BTW the Model 49 is the steel frame version of the same firearm.
    Bingo ! Thank you, thank you. So it is a Pre-model 38 and it is as old as I am. I definitely will treat the old girl with the respect she deserves (as her previous several owners must have...since she is in great shape). Thank you for the info . Most of my firearms were bought new so no doubts or history come attached, but several have been used and their history makes them more cherished. Thanks to all here for passing on your knowledge, I appreciate it.

Tom

Just found a site with some good information about the history of snubnoses, so I 'll tack it on here just in case someone is interested : The Snubnose Files

From you guys and the above site I'm pretty certain my bodyguard airweight (Pre Model 38) was manufactured between 1955 and 1956. I'll feed her 38 special (no +P ).

VIP Member
    Thanks for the site. I just added it to my gun reference bookmark folder.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Links